Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-08-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor

You were Right!!! EX 467019--Made in 1965 in Great Britain. Guess this means that I need to name it after the Beatles--Hmmmm Which one did I like the best back then???? Paul--Yep gonna name it Paul. Texas Jan
Jan, that cracks me up!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was 16 in 1965 and all the girls were in love with anyone with a British accent. How innocent and silly we were then--- Texas Jan
I was 14 that year, and yes, the Beatles had us all in a dither!! LOL :lol: :lol: I remember the first time they were on TV on Ed Sullivan...wow!!
HHHMMMMM I'm that old, too and I remember all that ancient history stuff too. I remember all the boys changing their hair so they could make the girls scream. I also remember watching Alvin the first time, too - more old sewing machines remind me of Alvin than the Beatles - but to each his own. HHHMMMMM Maybe you are saying that machine makes you scream.
Um... who is Alvin? The Beatles I've heard of and seen video clips of, but Alvin?[/quote]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67896537@N00/4283715015/
I watched that one too[/quote]

LOL I thought it was Alvin and the Chipmunks! :lol:
Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 PM

[quote=kwendt][quote=miriam][quote=kwendt]
But naming the old machines after a celeb? that's a thought! Maybe I should name some of my old singer girls, "Francis Langford", "Betty Boop", Cyd Charisse and maybe "Bettie Page" or "Jessica Rabbit". lol!
I have one named after Blaze Starr! My singer 201k is called Starr. I grew up in the Baltimore area and remember adults talking about Blaze Starr and the 2o'clock club down in the city when I was a kid.
Well, after I found my machine, I decided to call it Starr, and then Blaze popped into my head...which led to me thinking of Blaze Starr. I read somewhere that she sewed her own clothes. I can picture her with a Singer!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 PM

I bought another shuttle carrier today from a local sewing repairman for my Free No.5. I came home and put it on. After some adjusting and putting the needle in right, then adjusting the tension, I am sewing on my great-grandmother's treadle sewing machine! I am so happy! I am going to sew the first quilt {lap size} on it and give it to my dad. Come Monday, all three of my vintage machines will be in use! I will be sewing on the Free treadle, my 10 yr old DGD will be working on her disappearing 9 patch with my Singer treadle, and my 3 yr old DGD will cranking away on my SERATA hand crank machine. It will be a good day!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
I bought another shuttle carrier today from a local sewing repairman for my Free No.5. I came home and put it on. After some adjusting and putting the needle in right, then adjusting the tension, I am sewing on my great-grandmother's treadle sewing machine! I am so happy! I am going to sew the first quilt {lap size} on it and give it to my dad. Come Monday, all three of my vintage machines will be in use! I will be sewing on the Free treadle, my 10 yr old DGD will be working on her disappearing 9 patch with my Singer treadle, and my 3 yr old DGD will cranking away on my SERATA hand crank machine. It will be a good day!
:) VERY cool!! Wish my grandkidlets were close enough for me to sew with!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:26 PM

Here's the sewing box I got while I was junkin' on my days off... my MIL has one similar to it that belonged to William's grandma...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-223327.jpe   attachment-223328.jpe  
Old 07-08-2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Here's the sewing box I got while I was junkin' on my days off... my MIL has one similar to it that belonged to William's grandma...
That is such a cute sewing box!
Old 07-09-2011, 03:11 AM

Nice...never saw one of those boxes before! Now I'll keep my eyes open for such. Love the batik Irish Chain it's sitting on. Crispy and beautiful!
Old 07-09-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Nice...never saw one of those boxes before! Now I'll keep my eyes open for such. Love the batik Irish Chain it's sitting on. Crispy and beautiful!
Thanks! When it's finished, I'll post it on the "Made Vintage Style" photo thread.. :) It's one I'm doing on my 9W.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC
I'm just curious - WHY is this Featherweight going up so incredibly high on shopgoodwill - I assume because it's a convertible? Are they that rare?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8170562
I'd love to find one of those 222's, but they are way out of my price range!

Nancy
Old 07-09-2011, 05:44 AM

what's there to lose - drop some in - you don't taste the avocado - DH does NOT know it goes in - he WILL NOT eat avocado - the avocado makes it VERY creamy - the almond butter gives you a bit of protein for the get go in the morning - you can do peanut butter if you like. Some times I freeze some of the smoothie and then drop it in the blender frozen when I do the next batch.
Hummmmm, maybe I will have to give your smoothy a try, but with frozen fruit! I love avocado's and they are very good for you! Not sure about the almond butter, though!

Nancy