Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-17-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by SnowQuilt

lol To late it already is. I have another green one like it only it is a 319W 1956. I have about 8 other antiques, mostly Singers.

:roll: :)
:shock: :shock: This is my summer of "machine addiction". I bought my first vintage machine last year, and this year so far I have gotten 5 more! I REALLY have to stop now!! :-)
at least you can find them all to count them. Do the ones for parts count???

Yes I think I would count the ones for parts too. It would be great if we could all have a room just for all of our beautiful babies.

:)
Old 07-17-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
I posted part of this to Treadle On earlier today, so you may have seen it if you're a member there too. But I thought I'd ask you guys a few things as well

I picked up a Singer 66 in a table, today. Cosmetically, it ain't the greatest (either machine or table), but mechanically, wow. Quiet, smooth, perfect stitches...the whole nine yards.

This has a back-clamping foot. Where can I find a side-clamping presser bar to replace it with? I saw the directions on the TO website, and it looks like something I can manage, so I'd like to swap them out so I can use the feet I've already got.

This one also appears to have a brake. Is the treadle belt threaded any differently? I thought I remembered seeing something about keeping the end snip of your belt to use in it, but of course, now I can't find the article. I'm working on a manual, but haven't found one yet.

Cabinet: I've since put the lock/drawer separators back on. The right side has been wet at some point (you can see the ripple in the wood) and the veneer is completely gone. It's either been oiled to match, or so long ago the wood has darkened on its own.

There was a beat up box of stuff in one of the drawers, including some funky feet.
I don't think the loop thing is a brake, but a quick way of taking the belt off the flywheel. The little flange looks like it was an afterthought, maybe the way the machine lined up with the wheel made the belt slip, so they added that little bit, looks welded on.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:32 PM

...including some funky feet.
MrsBoats, the first attachment you show is a Singer 160359 Multi Slotted Binder Attachment Foot Sew if there is a 9 that follows 16035... I can't quite see the last number in your photo.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/71567613...slotted-binder

On other attachments you might have if you type in the numbers followed by 'singer attachment' it will usually bring up a link to what that attachment is. :-D
Old 07-17-2011, 05:40 PM

For LED lights, Harbor Freight.

Originally Posted by jan on 446
[quote
The cute little LED lights are more than I paid for the machine. I found a Singer Light for about $19, but again, with shipping, that would be more than I paid for the machine.
If you check around online, you can probably find the led lights fairly cheap.
If you really like the machine, a few more buck for a light might be a good investment. I know Nancy's Notions carry the led lights. I've been thinking of getting one as it can be directed exactly where you need it.
Jan on 446
>^;;^<[/quote]
Old 07-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by jljack

lol To late it already is. I have another green one like it only it is a 319W 1956. I have about 8 other antiques, mostly Singers.

:roll: :)
:shock: :shock: This is my summer of "machine addiction". I bought my first vintage machine last year, and this year so far I have gotten 5 more! I REALLY have to stop now!! :-)
at least you can find them all to count them. Do the ones for parts count???

Yes I think I would count the ones for parts too. It would be great if we could all have a room just for all of our beautiful babies.

:)
Oh. Dear.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:47 PM

This one also appears to have a brake. Is the treadle belt threaded any differently? I thought I remembered seeing something about keeping the end snip of your belt to use in it, but of course, now I can't find the article. I'm working on a manual, but haven't found one yet.
This is the belt shifter. The belt should be threaded through it.
The "flange" is where the belt moves off and on the wheel.
You use a piece of treadle belt for a brake on the W & G HC.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by emmah
This has a back-clamping foot. Where can I find a side-clamping presser bar to replace it with?

I don't think the loop thing is a brake, but a quick way of taking the belt off the flywheel. The little flange looks like it was an afterthought, maybe the way the machine lined up with the wheel made the belt slip, so they added that little bit, looks welded on.
I'm fairly new to treadles, but I have the same irons as you for my singer 15-30. As MizJohnny also noted, that's the way you quickly disengage the treadle belt (off the flywheel), so that you can lower the machine head into the cabinet to store it. I also use it to re-engage the belt back onto the wheel, once I have the machine up and ready again. There should be a coiled metal spring on it too (I think I see it in your photo). Also note that the belt rides through that metal loop when you install the new belt (otherwise, it won't work at all). Forgive me if that was obvious, but I'll just say here that... um... it WASN'T obvious to me immediately! :D (and right now Char and MizJ are laughing, I hope!) I know I am!

I don't know if anyone answered your other question, about finding a side clamping pressure bar for your 66-1. Check Sew-classic website for more info. (I am not affiliated) or ask Billy here if he has parts. Some people just find a 'donor' machine... but you can get the replacement bar off of ebay, sew-classic, Billy and other websites. I understand that they are not hard to find.

Personally? I think your 'find' is great. I have a 'less than perfect' treadle top that I'm attempting to restore, and a parlor that I'll get to restoring here someday. I love to save the old things, and appreciate all the fine folks on this thread that are doing so also!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:07 PM

I Just got a Singer 128-13 today at an auction. It runs, but can't get the threads to stitch right. It has a manual, but no attachments. I was going to take it to our local sewing center to see if they could get it working right. Will that work? Is it easy to get them tuned up and working, or do they need to go to some place special - to get parts etc. ?? Any help will be appreciated. Linda
Old 07-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
For LED lights, Harbor Freight.
Harbor Freight is the stuff! I bought a pair of 9 LED flashlights for $4 and I rigged up some clamps to put them on my mountain bike for headlights when I ride the trails at night. The exact same lights (you can put HF's next to the Bike Shops and there is no difference) and they are $300 for one! The only thing is the bracket is real nice that clamps it to the handlebars. Big deal..... :roll:

Billy
Old 07-17-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by Lostn51
CL is trouble for me also. There were like 5 or 6 nice machines in my area for $20 each and and industrial for $55. Needless to say they're all here in my garage...................

Billy
Gee Billy, I don't feel so bad now! I only got one new one this week.

Texas Jan
Craigslist is trouble for me, also, but I love looking through the ads. I've found some really good deals but I have to laugh at some of the pictures that they post. Why on earth do so many post dark pictures of the 'back' of the sewing machines? Is it possible that they don't know the front from the back?

BTW....Yesterday, I brought home a brown lotus (decal) model 66 in a treadle cabinet, that I saw on CL. Both of them will be my guinea pigs in learning how to clean up a frozen machine and refinishing a cabinet. I've already learned a lot just by taking the top of the cabinet off of the treadle base, and removing the drawers and the dust panel on the underneath of the cabinet top.