Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1490 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 490 990 1390 1440 1480 1489 1490 1491 1500 1540 1590 ... LastLast
Results 37,226 to 37,250 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Chris,
    I'd love to see pics of it. I'll never understand some people. 50 years ago when treadles were more common using them for flower planters could be understood ... sort of. But now, I don't know.

The wooden pitman arms can be fabricated. There is a web site, (Treadle On?) that has an article on how to do it.

Joe
    I rescued the cabinet so it didn't end its life in a flower garden or vegetable garden but Have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I am downsizing the herd so this is one I'm willing to let go to someone who wants it for its intended purpose and not as a planter.
    I believe I have reas an article on how to manufacture to wooden pitman arms/rods but can' remember where now.
    I'll get pictures tomorrow and post them on here.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    you hoo everybody, Glenn has a very, very nice rewired Singer 15 he is wanting to sell. I donno what he wants for it If you live anywhere near here or Huntsville or between give a yell and he might drop it by. It will be reasonable.... He's off line until he goes home though so yell at me... If you live somewhere else I'll help him pack it up. I'm real good at it... I understand you almost can't get the machine out... LOL...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Miriam, if I find a Morse Fotomatic will it fit into the Morse 300 cabinet? I've been on this board for a bit over a year. During this time, I have learned SO much from everyone! Thanks to all ya'll!
    Annette

There is no fireside like your own fireside.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
    Miriam, if I find a Morse Fotomatic will it fit into the Morse 300 cabinet? I've been on this board for a bit over a year. During this time, I have learned SO much from everyone! Thanks to all ya'll!
    The only way to know that is to try. I'm thinking some of the machines will fit into a Singer cabinet. Kenmore's and others will not. You have to measure the machine then measure the pins distance on the machine and on the cabinet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    you hoo everybody, Glenn has a very, very nice rewired Singer 15 he is wanting to sell. I donno what he wants for it If you live anywhere near here or Huntsville or between give a yell and he might drop it by. It will be reasonable.... He's off line until he goes home though so yell at me... If you live somewhere else I'll help him pack it up. I'm real good at it... I understand you almost can't get the machine out... LOL...
    I vouch for Miriam's packing ability! When she packs em, you will work to get em unpacked! I would have her ship a machine any day!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    Back in June when DH was in the hospital, Charlee wrote me and told me instead of "flowers" to let me know she was thinking about me, she had our own Jennb, pick up a Wheeler Wilson Treadle base that Charlee had bought for me!!! Now how special is that !!!

Jennb has kept it for me all this time, and yesterday she met me in Ft Worth and brought it to me. Such special people make up this Board. Big thanks to Charlee for my "flowers" that will never wilt and to Jennb for bringing them to me!!

I have oiled them up and it turns like a dream. They are safely tucked away until fall, and hopefully I can put them to use with another head that I will write about soon.

DH is still home, and we go back to the oncologist next Wednesday to see if he is going to need another round of chemo and hospital time.

Texas Jan

Here are my new Irons
    Wow Jan, that was really a nice thing Charlee did for you! Bravo Charlee - what a nice gesture! Nice irons too!

Jan, I hope your DH's next trip to the Dr. reveals something good happening!
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    Back in June when DH was in the hospital, Charlee wrote me and told me instead of "flowers" to let me know she was thinking about me, she had our own Jennb, pick up a Wheeler Wilson Treadle base that Charlee had bought for me!!! Now how special is that !!!

Jennb has kept it for me all this time, and yesterday she met me in Ft Worth and brought it to me. Such special people make up this Board. Big thanks to Charlee for my "flowers" that will never wilt and to Jennb for bringing them to me!!

I have oiled them up and it turns like a dream. They are safely tucked away until fall, and hopefully I can put them to use with another head that I will write about soon.

DH is still home, and we go back to the oncologist next Wednesday to see if he is going to need another round of chemo and hospital time.

Texas Jan

Here are my new Irons
    You're very welcome! I just remembered that you had a W&W that wasn't in a base (?) and thought maybe you'd be able to use the irons...and they'll last longer than real flowers that would have died before you got a chance to enjoy them!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

I saw it last weekend at the Sewing Museum garage sale and didn't buy it. It was the one I had a bit of buyers remorse about. I was going to call the next day about it, but DH went back into the hospital and I just didn't think about it again. Jenn called Thursday and said she was going back to get another load and the lady still had the 301 and was I interested. She had lowered the price, so I jumped on it. Jenn brought it to me along with the WW9 irons. The machine runs great, needs a bobbin holder and maybe a repaint. It is a 1952 Singer 301 (no A) Where the paint is worn through it is black, so either it was a repaint, or the base coat was black and then it was painted over. The "official" color is soft beige. Looks more Mocha to me, but I'm not an expert on these. Anyone, have any input???
    The cabinet is the blonde wood trapezoid shaped cabinet, called the spinet. It is pretty neat the way it opens out. Mine needs some repair and restoration---Oh Skip???? I've got questions for you----
    I think I got my $20.00 worth on this deal.

Texas Jan
    The cabinet the 301 came in is affectionately called a "Trappy" and is in demand. The machine is just really scuffed up and needs love. It doesn't look like a repaint at all. It would be a good candidate for a repaint job, though. Be prepared to spend up to $40-50 for a vintage bobbin case. There are repros. on the market but I would only buy one that has been tested. The cabinet is worth what you paid. The machine would be good to fix up or use for parts, so looks like you did good.

Could someone steer me in the right direction? I know I saw a website that carries replacement thread guides for Singer machines. I need one like this... I can't remember the site though. Here's a photo of the guide I need:

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  40.8 KB
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    You're very welcome! I just remembered that you had a W&W that wasn't in a base (?) and thought maybe you'd be able to use the irons...and they'll last longer than real flowers that would have died before you got a chance to enjoy them!
    You are right Charlee, on both counts. I have the Singer W9-7 and I would have not even been able to hardly see flowers. The irons are a gift that lasts and lasts.

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    The cabinet the 301 came in is affectionately called a "Trappy" and is in demand. The machine is just really scuffed up and needs love. It doesn't look like a repaint at all. It would be a good candidate for a repaint job, though. Be prepared to spend up to $40-50 for a vintage bobbin case. There are repros. on the market but I would only buy one that has been tested. The cabinet is worth what you paid. The machine would be good to fix up or use for parts, so looks like you did good.
    Candace, I figured you would know all about the 301. lol I never heard of a "Trappy", but it makes sense. Thanks for all the input. I plan to keep this one and use it for classes.

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Ok I have a machine we can't figure out what it it is. Glenn says to post the number 1094794 1 It is an old Singer with a motor in a case. Don't know if the motor or case are original - kind of doubt it. The machine is in very nice shape with minimal decals - I left the camera over some where - pics maybe tomorrow. It has a long bobbin and bobbin winder is near the top. Lots of space in the throat/harp. Glenn was like a kid in a candy store - very overwhelmed. I don't think he knew quite where to start in the mess. It is just a little disorganized... well a lot disorganized. I think we are going to fool with a potted motor for sure tomorrow. Then we went to the antique mall... and Goodwill.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
    Could someone steer me in the right direction? I know I saw a website that carries replacement thread guides for Singer machines. I need one like this... I can't remember the site though. Here's a photo of the guide I need:

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  40.8 KB
    Hi,

Don't see the upper thread guide for your 201 but only the lower . On ebay there's a 99 thread guide set which the one piece MIGHT work. I would recommend a parts machine but the guide seems well attached to the head without a bit of work or possible breakage.
    Is the hole clear in the casting for replacement or is guide broke off?

Jon

Blog Entries
    Well we were out at yard sales yesterday and I picked up another 500a, Rocketeer! The machine is amazingly clean and in very good shape. It came with 5 cams - which are just some of the decoratives stitches it doesn't do without a cam - several slant feet including a darning foot, ruffler, edger, zipper feet, etc., a manual (a biggy for me as they never have a manual), several nice class 66 bobbins, and some odds and ends. The down side is that it also came with a cabinet! Geeze, didn't women ever just use portable machines! I am sick of cabinets! Anyway, we got the whole thing for $30 - they were asking $50! I do love those Rocketeers! Now I have a 500a and a 503a - my favorite! I think I will sell my 401a as I don't use it anyway and now I don't need it!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Well we were out at yard sales yesterday and I picked up another 500a, Rocketeer! The machine is amazingly clean and in very good shape. It came with 5 cams - which are just some of the decoratives stitches it doesn't do without a cam - several slant feet including a darning foot, ruffler, edger, zipper feet, etc., a manual (a biggy for me as they never have a manual), several nice class 66 bobbins, and some odds and ends. The down side is that it also came with a cabinet! Geeze, didn't women ever just use portable machines! I am sick of cabinets! Anyway, we got the whole thing for $30 - they were asking $50! I do love those Rocketeers! Now I have a 500a and a 503a - my favorite! I think I will sell my 401a as I don't use it anyway and now I don't need it!

Nancy
    How much are you selling it for? PM me! Laura

Well. I didn't open up the box that arrived Friday on my doorstep until just now because I knew what it was and frankly I don't have a place to put it just yet. When I opened it up, it was NOT what I thought it would be lol! I won a goodwill auction for what I thought was a dark green Singer 185. I got a mint green one instead. The photos were totally off...but I can tell it is the same machine as in the photos they just must have had some very strange lighting going on when they took it.

Anyway this leaves me with an extra mint green 185k, as I already have another one also on its way. If anyone knows of someone with an interest in one I'll be happy to part with one. I'll post pics of it tomorrow. Here's the links of the two of them from the goodwill site.
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...temID=11017662
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...temID=11060995

Blog Entries
    Jan, your 301 is the same color as mine - at least the one I'm using. I haven't spent much time with the older one. I would guess your black where the paint is worn off is the aluminum base oxidizing. I have cleaned some some black oxidation off aluminum storm doors in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Hi, Don't see the upper thread guide for your 201 but only the lower . On ebay there's a 99 thread guide set which the one piece MIGHT work. I would recommend a parts machine but the guide seems well attached to the head without a bit of work or possible breakage.
    Is the hole clear in the casting for replacement or is guide broke off?
    Jon
    The hole is clear. I know I saw the thread guide SOMEWHERE. LOL!! I could kick myself for not writing it down.
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Great site and lots of good information. Will need to look more closely at mty 301s serial numbers to see where they fall.
    Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    How much are you selling it for? PM me! Laura
    Laura I PM'd you! All I want is what I paid, but I don't ship! If you need something shipped, Miriam is the person to buy from!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Laura I PM'd you! All I want is what I paid, but I don't ship! If you need something shipped, Miriam is the person to buy from!

Nancy
    I wrap it so tight Houdini would have fun getting out of it... I've seen how some get packed...
    I have a couple 301s for sale - one long bed mocha and a short bed mocha. Both have a few paint scratches and dings. Nice machines. Glenn is here - he has a Singer 15 he rewired for sale. I'm sure I'll have more machines for sale in the near future. We are working on making sure the motors are good and doing re-wiring today. I wish Muv was here so we could do a real good video. I have Singer 99s, 185s, 66s, 15s and a bunch of Stylists, an assorted bunch of Kenmore and a bunch of Japanese deluxe that zz and some clones and some machines that are some other kind of clone - also some real old Kenmores, MW, the Godzilla/blender looking - all cool machines. I post on CL Indianapolis when I get around to it. Oh and I have some 401s and a 411G that will treadle and a couple Elna machines. I don't know what all else is in there but they are for sale. It may take me some time. I like to be sure they work right. If I get time I would like to start a thread about the deluxe Japanese machines - we need pictures. Also I have a LOT of Kenmore machines to shoot pics - it would be neat to see what all is out there. Kind of like the 15 clone thread we have here. I have had a messed up shoulder for a while. My chiropractor fixed it but it will take some time to heal. It limits how much I can lift for a while. I'm not in lotsa pain anymore anyway.

Nancy, good for you! I sold one of my 401's a few weeks ago as I didn't need two. I'm beginning to look at the cabinets as a negative too. Especially, if the cabinets are in bad condition. I simply would prefer travel cases as well. And the cases are sometimes as much as the machines to try and buy separately!

No way I'd ship a machine in a table either! Though I've shipped two machines in the past. It's hard work and it takes a long time to do it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    Well. I didn't open up the box that arrived Friday on my doorstep until just now because I knew what it was and frankly I don't have a place to put it just yet. When I opened it up, it was NOT what I thought it would be lol! I won a goodwill auction for what I thought was a dark green Singer 185. I got a mint green one instead. The photos were totally off...but I can tell it is the same machine as in the photos they just must have had some very strange lighting going on when they took it.

Anyway this leaves me with an extra mint green 185k, as I already have another one also on its way. If anyone knows of someone with an interest in one I'll be happy to part with one. I'll post pics of it tomorrow. Here's the links of the two of them from the goodwill site.
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...temID=11017662
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...temID=11060995
    There are no dark green, original 185's. The green ones are all a mint green color.

Blog Entries
    Singer Zigzagger commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK6pI...feature=relmfu

Another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2WVe...feature=relmfu (this one cracked me up!)

This one is the whole program, but halfway through there's a Featherweight commercial:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcxvM...feature=relmfu

These are just too good!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pn5K...eature=related
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com