Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1440 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 440 940 1340 1390 1430 1439 1440 1441 1450 1490 1540 ... LastLast
Results 35,976 to 36,000 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    Oh she's asking 175 for it. If I can get her under 50 I might bite but that's about it. Hubby was looking at it and he could see that I wanted it but I know he was wondering if I've lost my mind...
    My friend and I paid $150 for a 1891 fiddle base Singer in a beautiful mahogany treadle base, with everything, including original receipt, book, etc., in really wonderful condition. We didn't bat an eye!! I have to agree that it's probably Jones, because look at the Made in England decal by the winder...no White machines made in England! I think $175 for it is a great price considering it's condition...it's really, really nice!!

Blog Entries
    I had fun today shopping unexpectedly with a member of this boards sister.

Remember this posting on the Estate sale:
    "Was looking on CL, even though I say I won't. And I found this, if anyone in the SF Bay Area is interested.
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/gms/3092058340.html
    Scroll down almost all the way to the end. Miriam, I thought of you. When I saw the pictures
    Now when I see a machine, my thoughts are Wow, and then, do I want to clean it. A lot of time and elbow grease, or should I say Sewing machine oil."

Well, my husband talked me into going to this today even though I told him I don't need another machine since I don't know where I'm going to put my latest.

I arrived just a bit before 10am and there were about 20 people already waiting. I get in line, the doors open, I head to the room with all the machines, and I quickly survey the machines. Almost all were parts machines, but I quickly looked through for the Necchis. Only one looked nice, but it was missing a cord and pedal. I claim it since it's a Necchi that can be treadled.

Well, In walks a very pretty lady that looks dazed. She mutters something about any pink machines. I watch her.
    And then I realize that this must be Anamaria's sister.

So, I get brave and ask her if she happens to know a person by the name of Anamaria. She looks surprised and says yes, and do I know her. Big smile goes across my face and I say yes, I have met Anamaria at the TOGA.

She then asks for help. That she is so overwhelmed and that she wants to surprise her sister with a machine, but all of these machines look so bad.

Well, that Necchi Supernova that I really didn't need is now Anamaria's.

I had a blast shopping with Anamaria's sister. We hunted through chaos, clutter, and disorder to find all that was needed for that Necchi Supernova. We found two foot pedals, Necchi bobbins, Necchi bobbin case, manual, and some other wonderful goodies.

She told me that she was ready to walk out, that all the chaos was too much for her. She thanked me for rescuing her.

Anamaria, It was my pleasure to help your sister. I had a wonderful time hunting for all the items. Enjoy!!!
    Last edited by vintagemotif; 06-22-2012 at 06:08 PM.

It has none of the papers, only a couple of attachments, and the cabinet needs work. I wish I could find something to tell me how old it is but I'm getting nothing other than confirming that yes, Jones did manufacture it but thats about all I can find. I emailed her to contact me if she doesn't sell it, which I'm hoping she wont since it wasnt out with the sale therefore out of sight, out of mind...I may stop by tomorrow and see if the adults are there...

Blog Entries
    You're such a sweet person, Monica!! How kind of you to help out Anamaria's sister and give up the machine you had your eye on!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    You're such a sweet person, Monica!! How kind of you to help out Anamaria's sister and give up the machine you had your eye on!!
    Janice, I already own a Necchi. This was much more rewarding that taking another one home.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    The decals on that Federation are lovely.
    I agree! Beautiful machine!!

Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    I totally agree, Monica is a very nice, sweet person! When I talked to my sister she was so excited. I can't wait to see the machine and all the goodies that she got me! I joined the Yahoo Necchi group, and have been searching the web for information on Necchi.
    Monica, Thank you! You and my sister made my day! (year) I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve!
    I will post pictures as soon as I get her!
    Anamaria
    Last edited by grayhare; 06-22-2012 at 06:37 PM.

ugh. I can't stop thinking about that machine. Its going to keep me up tonight. I may end up going back there in the morning...*sigh* heaven help me.

Blog Entries
    Don't look for any discouragement here. We're a bunch of enablers and that's a very pretty machine. The cabinet can be repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Don't look for any discouragement here. We're a bunch of enablers and that's a very pretty machine. The cabinet can be repaired.
    teehee...my husband is cringing on the inside and biting his tongue...but he just bought another camo bag on ebay so he can't talk. My machines are always cheaper than what he pays for those bags...

Blog Entries
    teehee...my husband is cringing on the inside and biting his tongue...but he just bought another camo bag on ebay so he can't talk. My machines are always cheaper than what he pays for those bags...
    Yep....my machines are almost always cheaper than anything my DH buys as far as tools or his hobby stuff. I have called a hiatus for now, as we have other $$ issues going on, but I am sure some time in the future I will find others I want!! LOL Yes, we are a bunch of enablers here!!

BTW...my DH put up pics of the Frankentreadle on his Making a MUT for my Dear Wife thread. It's finished with one insert for one machine made. It came out so beautiful!!

Ask my dear wife (Janice) about the $7000.00 we spent on her 1962 Thunderbird!! ;-)
    I love Jesus because He first loved me!

Blog Entries
    Janice, Please show off that gorgeous cabinet when you get it in your sewing room.

And Janice you are one lucky lady, a 1962 Thunderbird!! Please post a photo for us to see.

John, Again, nicely done work!!

ugh. I can't stop thinking about that machine. Its going to keep me up tonight. I may end up going back there in the morning...*sigh* heaven help me.
    I don't see too many of the Federation (Jones methinks) machines in my neck of the woods. Only one I saw was in an antique store, they were asking $80 with 10% off. Treadle machine with a hand crank, the bonnet and base insert lifted off so it could be portable. Pretty slick. When I inquired about it the clerk asked if my last name was "Jones". I kept looking in on it and it finally sold after 3 or 4 months. Oh well, guess the Jones family got it.

Jon

well, I set out this morning fully intending to go back and see if it was still there and make an offer. I stopped at another sale along the way. I immediately spotted a sewing machine in a dirty white case, from the 70s likely. Some nelco machine I'd never seen or heard of, very dirty. well used. The lady saw me looking at it so I asked her if it was the only sewing machine she had and she said no, she had another she hadnt put out yet. She pulled out a little blue and white case and my heart skipped a beat. Opened it up to reveal an immaculate white FW 221...picked it up for 90.00. It will be my daughter's as she's been wanting a sewing machine in her room, and none of my cabinets will fit with her other furniture. After I bought that I didn't go on to the other sale. I guess if she's meant to be mine the owner will call or email me. I had to resist....but I still want the other one too!!
    Name:  2012-06-23_09-45-43_861.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  848.3 KB
    Name:  2012-06-23_09-45-53_441.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  768.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Excellent purchase at an excellent price, Jenn. I foresee some envious posters - happy for you, but envious. A White FW is a treasure.

Blog Entries
    Jenn, Excellent find! And a very nice gift to your daughter!

Envy is a sin.... and I'm sinning pretty bad right now. How do you people find such GREAT deals on FW??? Okay, I'm calm now.... You found a fantastic machine. Congrats.

What a deal on the white featherweight!!
    Melinda

threading diagram for GE that I photo swiped:
    Name:  2012-01-27 11.20.54.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  48.9 KB

Just got back on the board after a week away. So glad Glen liked his quilt! The quilting and assembly were wonderful! Mine was made out of old shirts, and the fin and tail are raw edge so that they will fray a bit. Laura

Whoo Hooo a super Featherweight score for you and your daughter. Congrats.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict View Post
    I decided to spend some time on one of my early purchasing mistakes. It is a General Electric Model 5 Sewhandy machine with the paint peeling off. I am trying to figure out how to thread to see how it sews. Does anyone have a manual they can send a picture of the threading diagram?

The mistake was I paid too much for the condition. I learned about the importance of asking questions and for more photos. If it sews nicely it may become a repaint candidate.

Attached are the before and after photos.
    Lisa, what a cute little machine! What are the measurements of that little green machine? I have a little Damascus, but I think your machine may be a little larger. Just curious! I love the toy sewing machines! That is a toy isn't it?

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 06-23-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    what do y'all know about Federation Treadles? I came across this one today at a yard sale. They don't have it out on display but she let me take some photos and I left my number in case nobody else buys it at her asking price, which is way too high, no matter what machine it is, but the teenagers were running the sale while mom and dad were at work, so she will have to call me back. It's a gorgeous machine, made in England, and the cabinet is in pretty decent shape. There's a few accessories but not many in it...were these made by White by any chance?
    Attachment 343922
    Attachment 343923
    Attachment 343924
    Attachment 343925
    Jennb, I would pay $100 for that machine! Look at the decals? I bet it is a Jones - made in England!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    well, I set out this morning fully intending to go back and see if it was still there and make an offer. I stopped at another sale along the way. I immediately spotted a sewing machine in a dirty white case, from the 70s likely. Some nelco machine I'd never seen or heard of, very dirty. well used. The lady saw me looking at it so I asked her if it was the only sewing machine she had and she said no, she had another she hadnt put out yet. She pulled out a little blue and white case and my heart skipped a beat. Opened it up to reveal an immaculate white FW 221...picked it up for 90.00. It will be my daughter's as she's been wanting a sewing machine in her room, and none of my cabinets will fit with her other furniture. After I bought that I didn't go on to the other sale. I guess if she's meant to be mine the owner will call or email me. I had to resist....but I still want the other one too!!
    Name:  2012-06-23_09-45-43_861.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  848.3 KB
    Name:  2012-06-23_09-45-53_441.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  768.6 KB
    Geeze, what a deal! What a lucky daughter too! Congratulations to both of you!

Nancy