Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-01-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I *thought* I had already gotten it clean, but the GOJO brought off tons more black stuff. My decals really brightened up, the gold parts anyway. The flowers of my lotuses continued to look pretty brown after cleaning, tho the decals are glowing more now than previously. Do you think I could possibly have a brown Lotus? Pictures below, the first without flash is how it really looks. The flash picture really makes the flowers look red.
Beautiful Lotus!

Nancy
Old 02-01-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by kwendt
Treadles... which to get to actually use the machine for quilting and sewing... what advice would you tell me?
Have one treadle; move different heads in and out. You can have them all that way!!
Miz Johnny, Billy and others:.... other than the fiddle VS's... are the hinges and openings the same for most singer treadles? I realize that Whites, Domestics and all have different cabinet needs... but if I stuck with full size, old singers treadle machines: 201, 66's, ??? and VS 27s with straight beds ... then I can switch them out like Billy does? Billy, didn't you MAKE your sewing deck/treadle counter that's in your pics?

Does the VS sew better or worse? I remember reading like back on page 156 of this thread :wink: that if you're sewing, stay away from the VS machines, they are noisy... etc.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I *thought* I had already gotten it clean, but the GOJO brought off tons more black stuff. My decals really brightened up, the gold parts anyway. The flowers of my lotuses continued to look pretty brown after cleaning, tho the decals are glowing more now than previously. Do you think I could possibly have a brown Lotus? Pictures below, the first without flash is how it really looks. The flash picture really makes the flowers look red.
Beautiful Lotus! Nancy
Yes, I agree! Pretty and rare from what I've read here...
Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 PM

Have one treadle; move different heads in and out. You can have them all that way!!
You know... the more i think about this comment, the more I LIKE IT!!! :mrgreen:
Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by lewlew
Billy<<<who is still longing for the Russian Singer
Billy
Is your avatar from a Russian manual?
Cindy
I believe it is an advertisement but yes it is Russian.

Billy
Old 02-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Banned

Treadles... which to get to actually use the machine for quilting and sewing... what advice would you tell me?
Miz Johnny, Billy and others:.... other than the fiddle VS's... are the hinges and openings the same for most singer treadles? I realize that Whites, Domestics and all have different cabinet needs... but if I stuck with full size, old singers treadle machines: 201, 66's, ??? and VS 27s with straight beds ... then I can switch them out like Billy does? Billy, didn't you MAKE your sewing deck/treadle counter that's in your pics?

Does the VS sew better or worse? I remember reading like back on page 156 of this thread :wink: that if you're sewing, stay away from the VS machines, they are noisy... etc.
Yes they have the same size bed 14 5/8" x 7" and you can change them out all day long. As for the VS machines it really your preference. They are really soothing to use but they have their quirks. The 66 sews real smooth and has a drop n bobbin that will hold more thread. I like them all but my first machine was a VS so they will always hold a special place in my heart.

Billy
Billy
Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 PM

[quote=Lostn51]

Yes they have the same size bed 14 5/8" x 7" and you can change them out all day long.

Billy

Better than lifting weights!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:19 PM

[quote=vintagemotif]

Yes they have the same size bed 14 5/8" x 7" and you can change them out all day long.

Billy

ROTF!!! Actually... I just hefted my 90 lb anvil into the back of my Jetta last week, to get to a local blacksmith meet. I gotta tell you... it takes me two arms for that.. but I can one handedly sling my 15-91 around without a problem. Did I ever mention that my right arm is bigger than my left? yup. That's me. I don't do pink and ruffles... I do do hammers and tongs. I love all things mechanical...
Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 PM

[quote=kwendt]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Billy

ROTF!!! Actually... I just hefted my 90 lb anvil into the back of my Jetta last week, to get to a local blacksmith meet. I gotta tell you... it takes me two arms for that.. but I can one handedly sling my 15-91 around without a problem. Did I ever mention that my right arm is bigger than my left? yup. That's me. I don't do pink and ruffles... I do do hammers and tongs. I love all things mechanical...
You can lift a 90 lb anvil....and there is such a thing as a blacksmith meet? Way cool! So, what do you make? you could make pretty hinges for sewing machine cabinets....just picturing beautiful vintage hinges for doors.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Banned

Okay I went to get the machine and I scored big time!!!! I got a really nice Eldridge "B" with all of its accessories and a nice cabinet with the coffin top. Now it will need lots of cleaning and I will repaint the irons and clean the pitman up real good (its wood) but this should be one of the nicer machines in my collection.

As far as the year I will have to decipher the serial for this one but I am going to say its going to be in the 1870's-1880's Oh and the decals are in super condition for its age and they are gorgeous!!

I will take photos of it when I pull it out of the trunk tomorrow. I had to disassemble it to get ti in the trunk LOL!

Billy