Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-10-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor

Welcome Bennett !! What part of Hot Texas are you from. I'm from Granbury where we are hot and dry as a bone. The vintage machines do get you hooked !

Texas Jan
Hi Jan! I'm not terribly far away from you (in TX terms, that is). I'm up in Wichita Falls. I think we've had 2 rains since January that I can remember, jut terrible. The 100s started early this year too, not looking forward to August.
It is very hot and dry here in Wichita as well. I was driving around 2pm and the car thermometer said 111. Grass is dying and large cracks appearing in the yard. Cannot afford to water enough.
Tommie
Old 07-10-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by Bennett
I don't seem to be stopping because yesterday I picked up a little 99k in a cabinet. Don't know why, because it's not as if I really need it! :)
It's great that you got a 99 in the cabinet because it's a 3/4 sized machine and the 99 won't fit in all cabinets. Now that you have a 3/4 cabinet you will be able to get a cute little green 185j (also a 3/4 sized machine) and switch them back and forth in the smaller cabinet. See how people on this board are enablers...hahahaha...
:twisted:
Y'all are going to be a bad influence! I'm glad I got it in a cabinet, but it looks very 50s modern to me and seems a little flimsy on it's skinny legs. I have to do some finish work on it, but I think it will grow on me. The 3/4 machines are definitely cuties!

So far I've been sticking with the ladies in their sedate black dresses, but seeing all the different colors is making me rethink this. :)
Old 07-10-2011, 03:40 PM

I have a 15-91 that I'm cleaning up for SIL. Got it at an estate sale. I know it came from a smoker's house cuz I'm getting all kinds of yellow gunk off with the Goop cleaner. That's on the machine. However, looked at faceplate of machine and it is yellow also from tar & nicotine. How do I clean that up? Open to helpful suggestions - have checked Bily's cleaning tutes and didn't see where he covered this. Thinking Brasso or silver cleaner perhaps?? Looking for ideas, please.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor

You were Right!!! EX 467019--Made in 1965 in Great Britain. Guess this means that I need to name it after the Beatles--Hmmmm Which one did I like the best back then???? Paul--Yep gonna name it Paul.

Texas Jan
Jan, that cracks me up!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was 16 in 1965 and all the girls were in love with anyone with a British accent. How innocent and silly we were then---

Texas Jan[/quote]

I was 14 that year, and yes, the Beatles had us all in a dither!! LOL :lol: :lol: I remember the first time they were on TV on Ed Sullivan...wow!![/quote]

I was 8 in 1965. My older brother was a Beatles fan. I just thought they were cute.
:roll:
Old 07-10-2011, 03:54 PM

[quote=chris_quilts]I Thta's on the machine. However, looked at faceplate of machine and it is yellow also from tar & nicotine. How do I clean that up? Open to helpful suggestions -[quote]

Goop will work on that as well. You might let it set a few minutes.
Tommie
Old 07-10-2011, 04:21 PM

[quote=tomilu][quote=chris_quilts]However, looked at faceplate of machine and it is yellow also from tar & nicotine. How do I clean that up? Open to helpful suggestions -
Goop will work on that as well. You might let it set a few minutes. Tommie
Tommie; Thanks. Didn't know iof the Goop would work there. DH said to just get most of it as she is going back to smoker's house! Isn't he helpful!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I have a 15-91 that I'm cleaning up for SIL. Got it at an estate sale. I know it came from a smoker's house cuz I'm getting all kinds of yellow gunk off with the Goop cleaner. That's on the machine. However, looked at faceplate of machine and it is yellow also from tar & nicotine. How do I clean that up? Open to helpful suggestions - have checked Bily's cleaning tutes and didn't see where he covered this. Thinking Brasso or silver cleaner perhaps?? Looking for ideas, please.
Chrome polish (used for cars) works too.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/atq/2485707625.html
I shouldn't nose around on other cities should I
Old 07-10-2011, 05:32 PM

Welcome Bennett! It does sound like you are addicted, like all of us... i.e. ' it's not like I really needed it'... LOL That, is a sure sign. Hope you can post photos of your lovely ladies. :-D
Old 07-10-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/atq/2485707625.html
I shouldn't nose around on other cities should I
Ahhhh, Miriam, that has stung me a few times. But, honestly, sometimes there just aren't enough good machines available in my area so I sneak off to someone else's territory!!!! :lol: :lol: