Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Janice really glad to hear you finally got that Lotus!

To those of you who think they need to 'time' a FW or any of the old machines, Billy has always said that it is nearly impossible to mess up the timing on those vintage machines. He has commented several times about people who think the timing is off -- and it is not off -- something else is wrong.

With the FW, I'd start with a really deep cleaning. If the needle won't go down, it is usually something wrapped in or around the hook/race, bobbin case or even the handwheel having a thread behind the clutch!

I remember Billy talking about all the machines he gets that people think have timing issues and they don't!

Billy?

Nancy
I agree with Billy. The only machines I ever had to time have been commercial ones. The older ones had to be timed every time someone broke a needle.
Tommie
Old 07-10-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by omak
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by tomilu
Mornin' all. DH and I are headed out to pick up a Singer 66 in a bentwood case. Looks pretty good on CL, but he says needs new wire. But that's ok, because I'm going to take the head out of the case, convert to a HC and ship to Afghanistan to a soldier.
Tommie
Tommie, that is wonderful! Do you have a particular soldier you know to send the machine to directly - someone who sews?

Nancy
I will be keeping an eye out for that information, too! Sounds like we have some very practical soldiers who will, indeed, change the world with bullets AND brains! Good show!<wave>
Yes, a particular soldier. He is taking apart wooden pallets and making a table for it. He does upholstery work back home.
We are packing the machine to hopefully survive a 10 foot drop, should one occur while in route.
I have it ready to test sew as soon as I paw through my parts stash for the HC portion. Never saw so much compacted lint in a machine in all my put togethers. :roll:
Tommie
Old 07-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by miriam
they have 13 screws in them and I'm dreading it if I loose one.
Do all of your work over a nice thick towel. This way if you drop a screw it won't go anywhere. Good luck on your cleaning :-D
I like the thick towel idea!!!! Brilliant!
This one had an oil bath set up with dried up oil bath, dried up lines, dried up wicks - I've cleaned it once. Now is time to truly disassemble one section at a time and do again -maybe needs a microscope to find all the gunk. It only seems to take a small amount to really mess things over. The thread isn't going around the shuttle right. I think it is gunk. The timing is ok but it isn't going the whole trip. It could also be burrs.

The tension spring is backwards - I have to figure out that one.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:08 AM

I think I figured it out..HC means hand crank...right?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 AM

[quote=greenini]Nancy,

Thanks we think Ray is pretty cute ourselves and after losing him at the campground for 5 days...a real nightmare!

Tell us about Ray missing for 5 days.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
I think I figured it out..HC means hand crank...right?
That is right. :thumbup:
Tommie
Old 07-10-2011, 12:21 PM

Hello all! I've been lurking here for a few weeks, and finally decided to join. I've loved seeing the variety of machines everyone has. Y'all have even inspired me to purchase a lonely and neglected treadle and get her up and running again. I've lucked out so far with my vintage machines and gotten ones that work without me doing anything, so my "old geezer" is an adventure.

My first was a Singer 201 in a cabinet purchased at an estate sale at least 10 years ago. I bought it for the cabinet/desk to use for my laptop! I think I started quilting at about that time, but I had a new Elna. Can't remember exactly why I started using the 201, but I was hooked. The poor Elna sat in a closet for a decade until I gave it to my sister earlier this year.

Next came a great 15-91 that I've used for many years with no problems. Then my mom bought be a Featherweight (finally got her up and running). A few weeks ago I found a 127 in a treadle that I'm currently working on. I don't seem to be stopping because yesterday I picked up a little 99k in a cabinet. Don't know why, because it's not as if I really need it! :) Oh, and I've got my eye on an well-used looking 66 model at Goodwill.

I think I'm officially hooked. My family probably thinks I'm crazy. I think I've rambled on enough, but I did want to say thanks to all of you for this great resource.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:27 PM

Bennett, welcome to the board, and yes, it sounds like your hooked. I have a 4 year old Janome that doesn't get much use now that I'm hooked on the older machines, there is just no comparison to the way they sew. Did you see Billy's tutorials on cleaning the old machines? I found it very helpful cleaning up my new 15-91.

Enjoy working on your 127.

Marie M.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:31 PM

Hi there, maybe someone here could help me. I saw this vintage Singer machine in a thrift store yesterday. Cost was only $24.99, but I wasn't sure if I should buy it because it looked to be in somewhat bad shape - might need a lot of work to get it working again. I also have no idea what model this is and if you can still get parts for it...sorry but I've never owned a vintage machine before, but am curious since I've heard good things about them.

Can anyone tell by looking at these pictures I took with my phone whether it would be worth me going back and buying it? I don't want to have to put more than $100 into fixing it up, unless you tell me it's worth a lot more than that, LOL. Thanks for your help and any info. you can give.

It took me awhile and some effort to get the machine out of the table - the thread holder scraped against the inside.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]224321[/ATTACH]

No plate covering the bobbin case
[ATTACH=CONFIG]224326[/ATTACH]

There is some wiring damage in the base of the machine but the belt seems to be in tact
[ATTACH=CONFIG]224327[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-224315.jpe   attachment-224316.jpe   attachment-224317.jpe   attachment-224318.jpe   attachment-224320.jpe  

attachment-224321.jpe   attachment-224325.jpe  
Old 07-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Here's the scoop on your machine..It was born on Oct 8, 1935. It is a Singer 99 and there were 5000 of this model made. If it was my choice I would buy it..but I am not a collector or an expert..I just happen to love the old machines. I like to make them work and look pretty again!