Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-22-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Been having so many storms have had computer unplugged and off but now I'm on again. Amazing how you get so used to being 'online' and almost have withdrawal without it.
Yesterday I had a fun day repairing and shortening jeans for my grandson. Did the zigzagging on my newer Brother and had to go for the Redeye 66 for the real work. It sewed through those quad seams like butter. Not even a hiccup. My grandsons fiance is wanting a machine and I told him to find her a vintage one that will outlast us all. So, I hope I have gotten another couple of youngens interested in the vintage machines. He wanted to see all my collection and even took pics so he could show ppl. I enjoyed talking about them and showing him how they worked.
I have been amazed too at how those old Singer 66s can just sew through layers of jean material with no problems.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by emmah
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Post is not about machines but vintage quilt tops. I was surprised today poking about in a "vintage resale " shop. Came across some unfinshed quilt tops. One of them was old, ragged, stained and tattered but also $150 more than the other top there which was in much better shape. However, the old, tatterd top had been hand pieced and the other one was machine pieced which apparently made all the difference in the prices. While both were beautiful, the one with fewer condition issues is the one I'd have bought if I had been buying one. I assume this would also have applied to any tops machine pieced on a vintage treadle, too.
Wow, those prices seem way out of line. I find vintage tops at yard sales for about $20 or less, and got a fantastic mint condition triangles hand pieced at an antique shop for $45. Even on ebay your local prices would seem high. I hand quilted a yard sale "Ocean Waves" quilt top that was from the late 1800's, bought for $8 at a yard sale, after adding a border of similar fabric. I really like how it turned out.
Someday, I hope to find one or some vintage tops that don't cost me an arm and a leg but here in Kansas they are quite steep, price-wise. I keep looking because that's half the fun but people will pay those prices because this shop had moved/sold some quilts since I was last in there and there were new ones out. Just had athought that they may have enough inventory to rotate stock but some new ones were displayed.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Well I did something I said I would never ever do. I purchased a machine off ebay. My latest is a Singer 328K, that I want to use in treadle. I like to finish off my bindings with a decorative stitch. I have been using my daughter's Threadbanger T-30 which can handle this type of work so far, but I have been worried about the machine being able to continue to handle this load since the machine has plastic parts. So, I have been on a hunt for a machine to use in treadle that has cams for decorative stitching. I do hope that this machine will work out well for what I wish to use it for.
I dont want to be the one to bust your bubble love but that machine will not work in a treadle. The bed is the same length as the slant shank machines and are a couple of inches longer (they are 16" instead of the standard 14" ). I have one just like it here at the house and I was going to put it into my 500A's cabinet and keep the machine in the sunroom but I am going to put it up for sale with all of my other electrics.

But you can cut the hole out bigger in the treadles top and make it work.

Billy
Old 04-22-2011, 01:00 PM

[quote=vintagemotif]Well I did something I said I would never ever do. I purchased a machine off ebay. My latest is a Singer 328K, that I want to use in treadle. I like to finish off my bindings with a decorative stitch. I have been using my daughter's Threadbanger T-30 which can handle this type of work so far, but I have been worried about the machine being able to continue to handle this load since the machine has plastic parts. So, I have been on a hunt for a machine to use in treadle that has cams for decorative stitching. I do hope that this machine will work out well for what I wish to use it for.
Last night I cleaned it up and played with all the flat cams and decorative stitches by use of the motor.[quote]

I know folks who use and like this machine. The major complaints I have heard have to do with a weak motor, which you are bypassing by using it as a treadle. I seem to remember than you have to make some modifications in the bobbin winder in order to treadle it. Do keep in mind, though, that it does have plastic parts inside. All Singers past the 603 have plastic parts.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:02 PM

I always have fun looking through the bins with all the vintage quilts. I never buy any though, just have fun seeing the fabrics and patterns that were used.
Saw several SunBonnet Sues there - way pricey as were the double wedding rings. One of the DWR was just a top for $300 but beautifully made with gorgeous vintage fabric. Crazy quilt wall hanging priced outrageously so didn't even look at the bigger crazy quilt. Those old quilts are simply beautiful and I do admire the workmanship that went into them. Just cannot afford the prices but I keep hoping to come across one terrifically priced that speaks to my soul.
I bought a nice one a few weeks ago for $12.50. Keep looking!

People (i.e., dealers) think they are worth more if they are hand made. The truth is, I'd much rather have one machine pieced--they hold up longer and in general, the workmanship is better.
I will now go and wait for the Quilt Police to show up at my door.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:38 PM

BoJangels the WB you have shown has a moter. Is this because of the year?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well I did something I said I would never ever do. I purchased a machine off ebay. My latest is a Singer 328K, that I want to use in treadle. I like to finish off my bindings with a decorative stitch. I have been using my daughter's Threadbanger T-30 which can handle this type of work so far, but I have been worried about the machine being able to continue to handle this load since the machine has plastic parts. So, I have been on a hunt for a machine to use in treadle that has cams for decorative stitching. I do hope that this machine will work out well for what I wish to use it for.
I dont want to be the one to bust your bubble love but that machine will not work in a treadle. The bed is the same length as the slant shank machines and are a couple of inches longer (they are 16" instead of the standard 14" ). I have one just like it here at the house and I was going to put it into my 500A's cabinet and keep the machine in the sunroom but I am going to put it up for sale with all of my other electrics.

Billy
Oh no! In my researching, I saw two blogs with the Singer 328 in treadle. Okay, I'm going back now to google Singer 328 in treadle, and I'll check image pages too. I know I saw one person using it in a treadle. And if it can't be used that way, I will just use it with the motor. My husband can't figure out why I would want to treadle with it since it has a motor and to put it in a cabinet seems like work. Ok, I am nuts, but I love my treadles.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 PM

[quote=Miz Johnny][quote=vintagemotif]Well I did something I said I would never ever do. I purchased a machine off ebay. My latest is a Singer 328K, that I want to use in treadle. I like to finish off my bindings with a decorative stitch. I have been using my daughter's Threadbanger T-30 which can handle this type of work so far, but I have been worried about the machine being able to continue to handle this load since the machine has plastic parts. So, I have been on a hunt for a machine to use in treadle that has cams for decorative stitching. I do hope that this machine will work out well for what I wish to use it for.
Last night I cleaned it up and played with all the flat cams and decorative stitches by use of the motor.

I know folks who use and like this machine. The major complaints I have heard have to do with a weak motor, which you are bypassing by using it as a treadle. I seem to remember than you have to make some modifications in the bobbin winder in order to treadle it. Do keep in mind, though, that it does have plastic parts inside. All Singers past the 603 have plastic parts.
I saw the one area with plastic after looking at the underside. I just love how they sell it as an "all metal machine". Yeah, so where did that one plastic part come from...geez... almost all metal is correct to say.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
Oh no! In my researching, I saw two blogs with the Singer 328 in treadle. Okay, I'm going back now to google Singer 328 in treadle, and I'll check image pages too. I know I saw one person using it in a treadle. And if it can't be used that way, I will just use it with the motor. My husband can't figure out why I would want to treadle with it since it has a motor and to put it in a cabinet seems like work. Ok, I am nuts, but I love my treadles.
I found the page with the machine in treadle. I'm not going to copy and paste here since the person may not like that done, photos are from her blog. I did a google search and hit images to find the photo. It shows the machine in treadle. Nancy asked how is this done. If she finds the page, she can see views of the machine sitting in treadle with the treadle cord. Miz Johnny, I see how the bobbin area is cut out to make for treadle use. I just don't understand why it was done at this moment since this machine's instruction manual says it can be use as treadle or motor. But once I get it set up, I may then understand why the gal did the cutout. But first, I must finish a project that I'm free motion quilting before I switch machine heads. And then I will let Billy know if this machine head fits my cabinet.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I always have fun looking through the bins with all the vintage quilts. I never buy any though, just have fun seeing the fabrics and patterns that were used.
Saw several SunBonnet Sues there - way pricey as were the double wedding rings. One of the DWR was just a top for $300 but beautifully made with gorgeous vintage fabric.
I bought a nice one a few weeks ago for $12.50. Keep looking!
People (i.e., dealers) think they are worth more if they are hand made. The truth is, I'd much rather have one machine pieced--they hold up longer and in general, the workmanship is better.
I will now go and wait for the Quilt Police to show up at my door.
Miz Johhny; I am with you. I'll also be waiting for the Quilt police at my door.
The pic is of a hand pieced top that was put together in the 30s or 40s but finally sandwiched and quilted about 2 years ago. The stitching was so fine, it was amazing to behold. The hand-pieced top in the resale shop was not so fine and the shop wanted more than $200. Colors are true in the picture. A lady bought it for $200 for just the top and have no idea how much the quilting cost her. The money ($200) went for charity so I consider it worth it.

Hand Pieced Dresden plate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]187649[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-187643.jpe