Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-21-2011, 09:09 PM

Very nice machine!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I always have fun looking through the bins with all the vintage quilts. I never buy any though, just have fun seeing the fabrics and patterns that were used.
Saw several SunBonnet Sues there - way pricey as were the double wedding rings. One of the DWR was just a top for $300 but beautifully made with gorgeous vintage fabric. Crazy quilt wall hanging priced outrageously so didn't even look at the bigger crazy quilt. Those old quilts are simply beautiful and I do admire the workmanship that went into them. Just cannot afford the prices but I keep hoping to come across one terrifically priced that speaks to my soul.
I just look since I make my own quilts. My sister at one time (long long time ago) would purchase old vintage quilts to hang on her walls of her home. She owns a beautiful Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt with beautiful fabrics that I just love.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Very nice machine!
Thank you. I think Hank will be a fun machine to use once I get him in a treadle. To me he looks like a battleship. My husband likes the color, but I don't. Way too ugly a color for my liking. So, I decided it was a boy machine and named it Hank.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Post is not about machines but vintage quilt tops. I was surprised today poking about in a "vintage resale " shop. Came across some unfinshed quilt tops. One of them was old, ragged, stained and tattered but also $150 more than the other top there which was in much better shape. However, the old, tatterd top had been hand pieced and the other one was machine pieced which apparently made all the difference in the prices. While both were beautiful, the one with fewer condition issues is the one I'd have bought if I had been buying one. I assume this would also have applied to any tops machine pieced on a vintage treadle, too.
Wow, those prices seem way out of line. I find vintage tops at yard sales for about $20 or less, and got a fantastic mint condition triangles hand pieced at an antique shop for $45. Even on ebay your local prices would seem high. I hand quilted a yard sale "Ocean Waves" quilt top that was from the late 1800's, bought for $8 at a yard sale, after adding a border of similar fabric. I really like how it turned out.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:37 AM

I have been having computer issues, so haven't kept up with much lately. Somewhere in my lost info is the bookmark for the singer site that gives info by serial number. I picked up at auction a singer with the serial number G4665457 - I think that is the number. The manual with it is on model 115. There are all kinds of attachments in the drawers, even one for making your own rugs.

I will attach pictures when taken. If someone could direct me to the site for singer, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
I have been having computer issues, so haven't kept up with much lately. Somewhere in my lost info is the bookmark for the singer site that gives info by serial number. I picked up at auction a singer with the serial number G4665457 - I think that is the number. The manual with it is on model 115. There are all kinds of attachments in the drawers, even one for making your own rugs.

I will attach pictures when taken. If someone could direct me to the site for singer, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html
Old 04-22-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by jpete523
My Spartan 192K is in a black plastic base. When you unscrew the base you'll find the serial number on the bottom of the machine. Good luck!
Thanks for that information!
Old 04-22-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by emmah
Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html
Thanks so much!

Found her! She was in a group allotted May 3, 1916, model 115. Now I will be looking for info on needles, bobbins, etc. And checking out the tutorial on how to clean her up. She needs a lot of work.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Well I did something I said I would never ever do. I purchased a machine off ebay. My latest is a Singer 328K, that I want to use in treadle. I like to finish off my bindings with a decorative stitch. I have been using my daughter's Threadbanger T-30 which can handle this type of work so far, but I have been worried about the machine being able to continue to handle this load since the machine has plastic parts. So, I have been on a hunt for a machine to use in treadle that has cams for decorative stitching. I do hope that this machine will work out well for what I wish to use it for.
Monica, what is wrong with the color? I think it is very pretty! Does that 328 have a space to attach a belt? It looks like maybe, but can't tell in the picture. Will you post pictures when you get 'Hank' in a treadle and let us know how well that works out! Congratulations, on your newest addition. I am excited to see how it works with that machine as a treadle.

Sharon is that the one you use in a treadle?

Nancy
Old 04-22-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I have been making ruffles on my Lotus tonight, and am just amazed at the mechanical wonder that the ruffler is. I feel blessed to have a back-clamping one that came with my machine. In about 30 minutes I had a whole pile of beautiful ruffles that would have taken me hours to make by my old method of pulling up a running stitch and adjusting gathers. Can't believe how much better the OLD technology is, so USE YOUR WEIRD ATTACHMENTS, everybody! They are fun!
Wow, I love it when someone actually uses their vintage attachments. I want to try all of mine one of these days too. As Monica says, maybe after I finish a couple other projects. Right now I am really busy trying to get my yard back together after all the rain and weeds took over! I know Billy, a drowned/happy weed yard is not comparable to what you guys have been going through.

Nancy