Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-10-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by greenini
Time to announce my new find and ask for help: we found a 15-91 in an antique store for $47, but it came with a cabinet, I'll post pictures. Now the problem. We are in NH and live in Ga and to get between the two we are camping out in our VW van with our cat Ray so have his litterbox on the floor.

To get to our friend's house in NH we just flipped it upside down machine and all. But that is going to be awkward all the way home as we will have to remove it when we are camping to get to the fridge and almost anything....

We looked at the cabinet and it looks very much like it could be disassembled (unscrewed) and then reassembled at home which would make getting it home an awful lot easier. We have a storage place over the cab where we could put it securely wrapped in several trash bags or even keep it in the van itself if we have to....

What cha alll think? Billy, ya got any ideas to offer?
Greenini, congratulations on your 15-91 - yes, those little oil cans are very cute (I have found a couple with machines), and love Ray!

Nancy
Old 07-10-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by omak
So! We woke up bright and early this morning and did 1 AI (or worked at it, anyway) and headed to town to a sale.
$25 ... what do you think?
The kicker was when I got it home and set it up for its photo shoot (forgive the barn decor, but I put it there for awhile), I told hubby - - uh, you bought one of these for me about fifteen years ago! (led to a whole new discussion, but he and I both know it doesn't matter because I am sure I have saved the machine's life - - and, if I keep buying them, maybe one day I will own every one ever made ;-) <wave> I really need to learn how to research the dates on these things, eh? anyway, someday <g>
Great score for $25! Those 15's are my favorite machines for everyday sewing, piecing the borders on quilts, and FM sewing because they all have reverse and drop those feed dogs!

Nancy
Old 07-10-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
No I'm definitely not saying that!! I could eat pnut butter and jelly, a bowl of cereal or a smoothy any day over having to cook meat and potatoes! DH on the other hand is not so inclined that way. He works out in the hot sun and "needs" his sustenance!!! :D
Randa, your DH still sounds like my Dad! He would of been highly insulted if I'd tried to give him a smoothie for dinner!

Miriam, I love the bench story! I can just see the people wondering where that bench came from! The fact that it is still there is also really cool!

Nancy
Old 07-10-2011, 05:20 AM

Took pics of newly acquired Brother. I'm hoping they upload.

Brother AA129057
[ATTACH=CONFIG]224084[/ATTACH]

missing a part
[ATTACH=CONFIG]224085[/ATTACH]

missing bobbin case
[ATTACH=CONFIG]224086[/ATTACH]

backside
[ATTACH=CONFIG]224087[/ATTACH]

looks like it can be treadled
[ATTACH=CONFIG]224088[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-224078.jpe   attachment-224079.jpe   attachment-224080.jpe   attachment-224081.jpe   attachment-224082.jpe  

Old 07-10-2011, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Vintage late 1950's cream puff
Paint in mint shape
Original two tone dazzling paint.
Classic and functional piece of equipment
Rich showcase passion condition
One owner
(Grandma's)
Chrome & heavy metal!
Well-engineered
One foot petal
All original accessories
Custom cover in excellent condition
This machine purrs like the well-crafted piece of machinery it is.
It feels "quality:, if you know what I mean.
This machine will definitely be in your "keeper" list.
Would be great in a show just like it is
They just don’t make ‘em like that anymore.
Runs like a sewing machine...

Weedwoman, it's just an ad I wrote... it was for a gray and cream - similar to that one. Gotter sold anyway.
Oh and the wording for this ad mainly came right off car ads on CL... LOL - even the last line...
Old 07-10-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
You are one lucky lady!! I'd like to see a picture of the cabinet of your Singer 15-88. Looks like one I just recently bought.

Texas Jan
Here you go! My 'go to' machine. He does it all, plus has reverse!

Nancy
Wow! That's a beauty! Did you finish the cabinet, yourself? It looks so nice and shiny.
Cathy, if it is the 15-88 you are talking about, no we did nothing with that cabinet! It came nice and clean and in excellent shape! The machine and cabinet had been one person owned before we picked the whole thing up for $50!

Nancy

To clarify what 'allottment' means for Miss Gigglewings and a few others, you realize when you look up a serial number for Singer machines and it say April 5, 1932, with 5,000 allotted that day - that just means the SN for that machine was given to that allottment of machines. It doesn't mean only 5,000 "models" were made. The model 15 was made from 1895 until 1957 with a few variations as the years went by.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
It looks awesome! You mentioned that it might be able to be converted to treadle. I watched a YouTube video, the other day, with a Singer 319w converted to treadle. When I think of a treadle sewing machine I usually think of a black one but this SM is green and sort of "modern" looking. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7PVLI-LHDc

She also has a second video showing the treadle part of the machine as she sews.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:45 AM

Janice really glad to hear you finally got that Lotus!

To those of you who think they need to 'time' a FW or any of the old machines, Billy has always said that it is nearly impossible to mess up the timing on those vintage machines. He has commented several times about people who think the timing is off -- and it is not off -- something else is wrong.

With the FW, I'd start with a really deep cleaning. If the needle won't go down, it is usually something wrapped in or around the hook/race, bobbin case or even the handwheel having a thread behind the clutch!

I remember Billy talking about all the machines he gets that people think have timing issues and they don't!

Billy?

Nancy
Old 07-10-2011, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

What could a Singer 421-13 be used for? It has an oil pan. I got it unstuck. Now I have to get the thread to work through the bobbin area with out getting stuck. I'm thinking there is gunk on the shuttle 'shoe' like things - they have 13 screws in them and I'm dreading it if I loose one.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
they have 13 screws in them and I'm dreading it if I loose one.
Do all of your work over a nice thick towel. This way if you drop a screw it won't go anywhere. Good luck on your cleaning :-D