Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-11-2011, 01:30 PM

Hi, everyone, I'm on the hunt for more machines! LOL

Question: Is $75 which includes shipping and insurance a good price for a Necchi 535A. I've been wanting a Necchi but haven't located one yet. I think this model was new in 1986. Please advise!!

Oops, that should be a 535FA.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:39 PM

[quote=emmah][quote=chris_quilts]
Originally Posted by emmah
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Emmah, The Goop is actually working. The stuff coming off is gross. Sorry to any smokers who read this. DH does have a point that it is going back to a smoking household but I hope to use the sewing machine this week to test drive it for her and want a clean machine even though I'm just using scraps . ~ Chris
I know how awful smoking residue is. I bought some vintage quilts and had to wash them five or six times till the yellow came out.
Emmah; Got the nickel/chrome cleaned to my standards and younger DD finished to her standards (more stringent than mine) Still need to finish cleaning machine - hopefully tonite - but she looks better where the cleaning has happened than in the untouched portions. Ladies at the sewing shop gave me kudos for cleaning uop the smoking residue. Thankls for your help.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I sometimes just use the GoJo on the nickle parts, but if they're really bad, I soak in oxyclean for a little while and scrub with a soft toothbrush.
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
However, looked at faceplate of machine and it is yellow also from tar & nicotine. How do I clean that up? Open to helpful suggestions - looking for ideas, please.
Miz Johnny; The Goop did the trick and letting it sit and soak in was helpful. Need to do needle sgaft tonite - it is truly yellowed, grungy and gross. Also hope to finish cleaning rest of machine so I can test drive her. Thanks for letting me know about oxyclean as I had forgotten that little trick.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
I need help, I looked at this machine it is missing a bar? across the bottom to hold the foot peddle up and the wood on top need to be replaced.
What do you think? thanks http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/atq/2478168301.html
Yes, the irons are incomplete. The head doesn't look so bad, however.
Tommie
Old 07-11-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts
Marie M. thanks for the welcome. I am confused by the numbers that you guys use, example would be 66, 99 and so on where do these come from? I looked up my Bella and she seems to have been born in 1908. Just happened to notice she does not have a light attached, don't know what that is all about or how I can fix it but I was already looking at Billy's tut for disassembly and almost dove in. I just need to BREATHE!! Well here she is
She is a beauty !!

Texas Jan
Those are model numbers. It doesn't have a light because it is a treadle, no electricity.
Tommie
Old 07-11-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
I need help, I looked at this machine it is missing a bar? across the bottom to hold the foot peddle up and the wood on top need to be replaced.
Tommie
would the missing parts be easy to find?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Tommie
would the missing parts be easy to find?
Katie Farmer might have them. She is the White guru.
Tommie
Old 07-11-2011, 02:26 PM

So much for molasses/water for rust removal. While it did remove 99.9% of the rust (which was great) that was on the shuttle, it did little else for the other parts. However, it left the shuttle black. The other parts had a shiny finish-wonder if that was the difference. Now to hunt for some Evaporust.
Tommie
Attached Thumbnails attachment-225053.jpe  
Old 07-11-2011, 02:27 PM

I was in a thrift store today and got real excited and bought a 500A, for $30. The machine looked to be in good shape and the cabinet was not bad. Hubby brought it home as I had class. I got home and looked at it I discovered that there were no cams with it. I can not go on e-bay as my computer will not let me in. Does any one have any cams that they would like to sell me? Kathie
Old 07-11-2011, 02:30 PM

What a lovely machine! Love the decals. :)