Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
SOS~~Singer 301A owners... what am I doing wrong?

I put my needle in (correct size, etc.) with the flat side to the left and screwed the screw as tight as I can. The needle falls out when I stitch and I can also pull the needle out with my bare fingers.

I will have to go back and read the directions but I am pretty sure it says, 'flat side facing left'. Yikes. I sew wanted to sew tonight. :shock: :?: :roll:
Well, I don't know!! Maybe the needle clamp is not good? You put the needle in and thread it just like a FW. I found that interesting when I got mine! :-) Good luck!! You may have to replace the needle clamp. You can get one at Sew-Classic.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Did you have the presser foot up when you threaded, it sounds like it may not be in the tension disk.
Yes I did have the presser foot up. I tried putting in a new
bobbin. That did not help. When looking at the underside of the
fabric all you can see is the top thread looping. I tried tighting and tried loosing the upper tension and it did not make a bit of difference. Kathie[/quote]

Sounds like the tensioner may be "DOA".
Old 07-25-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by jljack
So, I am looking for a treadle base for my 66 so I can de-motorize it. I am not finding anything in my area reasonable (over $100 for terrible looking stuff), and neither is Sheryl finding anything around Fresno, though she has been trying hard to help me out.

If anyone here within reasonable driving distance (??? from Bakersfield, very little is "reasonable" driving distance!! But hopefully I can do road trip to No or So CA within the next few weeks) has a Singer treadle they can part with for a reasonable price, please let me know. I can do restoration work if required....DH is a "wood guy". Thanks!!
California folks - We (Janice & I) are also looking into the possibility that we would find a machine & cabinet. I am looking for a machine, working or not, with the coveted decals for display in my sewing room. She would take the cabinet, I would take the machine & we would split the cost. Let one of us know if you see anything in your local area.
I will keep a look; I'm always looking across the nation.
How far will you travel to pick up machine?
Well, Sheryl lives in Fresno, and my BIL lives in Stockton, and my brother lives in the L.A. area, so just about anywhere in CA, I guess.
From time to time, I see treadles cheap in the Modesto/Stockton area. I will let you know when that happens.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:40 PM

SOS~~Singer 301A owners... what am I doing wrong?

I put my needle in (correct size, etc.) with the flat side to the left and screwed the screw as tight as I can. The needle falls out when I stitch and I can also pull the needle out with my bare fingers.

I will have to go back and read the directions but I am pretty sure it says, 'flat side facing left'. Yikes. I sew wanted to sew tonight. :shock: :?: :roll:
DH to my rescue!

We just happen to have purchased a second 301A a few weeks after the first one. And, lo and behold, DH figured out that my 1st one didn't have the correct screw to hold the needle in place... tightly, I might add.

The sad thing is that the person I purchased it from said she had sewn a lot of items on this machine. NOT, couldn't have. When I sewed with it, I only got to 4 stitches before the needle fell out. Sew, temporarily I am borrowing from my 2nd 301A to help out my 1st one.

The moral to this story is to buy two machines, in case you need something. So, all of you who 'need' a reason to buy more machines that need rescuing... now you have it!

:-D
OK....so glad you found the issue....like I said, bad clamp!! :-)
Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 PM

Just purchased Singer Featherweight 221 - and rec'd same July 23- 2011, (Date of Singer - according to the serial number is 1949). Machine sews very quietly and just purrs along. Original Singer case and Featherweight machine in brand new condition - as well as the manual. Used it to work on my quilt in progress - "Affairs of the Heart", just completed the center unit of quilt and posted pic of same on QB. So very Happy, and thought I would share with you all, my lucky find. Thanks for looking....

The Perfect Portable Singer Featherweight
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231823[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-231817.jpe  
Old 07-25-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by d.rickman
Just purchased Singer Featherweight 221 - and rec'd same July 23- 2011, (Date of Singer - according to the serial number is 1949). Machine sews very quietly and just purrs along. Original Singer case and Featherweight machine in brand new condition - as well as the manual. Used it to work on my quilt in progress - "Affairs of the Heart", just completed the center unit of quilt and posted pic of same on QB. So very Happy, and thought I would share with you all, my lucky find. Thanks for looking....
Congrats! You will love this machine!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:26 PM

Kathie, I am going to put a HC on my 99...it needs a knee bar that I don't feel like hunting down, and I don't need another e-machine. I want one to take camping with us, and it's just a good size for that.[/quote]

I do not think that you will sorry you did. I just love mine. My neightbor who is 14 came over with her friend and they both used it and really liked it. The 8 year old that came last Tuesday enjoyed it so much she wanted to come back later in the week. I want to put a hand crank on my electric 66. Kathie
Old 07-25-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by d.rickman
That machine looks to be in perfect shape. You have gotten a great deal and a good machine. Kathie
Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 PM

Sounds like the tensioner may be "DOA".[/quote]

I do not like the sound of that. It may be time for a repair man. Kathie
Old 07-25-2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Sounds like the tensioner may be "DOA".
I do not like the sound of that. It may be time for a repair man. Kathie[/quote]

Kathie, Why don't you have Nancy look it over. She helped you with your FW. She should be able to help you here too. I would try Nancy assistance before the repairman.