Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-25-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Kathie what does the stitch look like on top fabric? Is the tension control installled correctly. I will look at may red eye in the morning and see what else it could be. I very seldom have problems with the red eye.
Glenn
The thread on top is very loose looking. Kathie
Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 PM

How did you put the needle in? The flat side goes to the right. The needle threads from left to right(outside to inside). Is the take up lever all the way up before you try to take your fabric out? Let me know if these suggestions help,please.
Sharon W.[/quote]

The flat side is to the right. Yes I did have the take up lever all the way up. Kathie
Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 PM

SOS~~Singer 301A owners... what am I doing wrong?

I put my needle in (correct size, etc.) with the flat side to the left and screwed the screw as tight as I can. The needle falls out when I stitch and I can also pull the needle out with my bare fingers.

I will have to go back and read the directions but I am pretty sure it says, 'flat side facing left'. Yikes. I sew wanted to sew tonight. :shock: :?: :roll:
Old 07-25-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by Glenn
Kathie what does the stitch look like on top fabric? Is the tension control installled correctly. I will look at may red eye in the morning and see what else it could be. I very seldom have problems with the red eye.
Glenn
The thread on top is very loose looking. Kathie
Did you have the presser foot up when you threaded, it sounds like it may not be in the tension disk.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:58 PM

Did you have the presser foot up when you threaded, it sounds like it may not be in the tension disk.[/quote]

Yes I did have the presser foot up. I tried putting in a new
bobbin. That did not help. When looking at the underside of the
fabric all you can see is the top thread looping. I tried tighting and tried loosing the upper tension and it did not make a bit of difference. Kathie
Old 07-25-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Did you have the presser foot up when you threaded, it sounds like it may not be in the tension disk.
Yes I did have the presser foot up. I tried putting in a new bobbin. That did not help. When looking at the underside of the fabric all you can see is the top thread looping. Kathie[/quote] Kathie, Occasionally my brain takes a vacation when I'm sewing and I have that same problem. Sometimes, I haven't threaded the machine correctly or have missed one little thingy to guide the thread under when being threaded. Sometimes, my cat helps me sew and that is the cause of the problem.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:19 PM

Sometimes, my cat helps me sew and that is the cause of the problem.[/quote]
This time I can not blame either cat because they were not in the room. They can be the most wonderful pests at times.
:-D Kathie
Old 07-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
Originally Posted by jljack
I got a pretty good set, so want to see if they work, first. I'll have to get it out and try them. But I can't run the machine, as the wires are bare! :shock: I'll just have to try them by turning the handwheel. Not gonna happen for a couple of weeks, at least! Thanks for the offer...I'll let you know. But if you want to sell them, go ahead and don't wait for me. There are always a bunch of these sets for sale on eBay and ShopGoodwill.
Ok - will do that. Guess I need to figure out which machine they fit. Or let someone have them for a fair price & figure it out on their own.
I have a domestic if they fit that I would be interested. If you can show a pic I might be able to tell
Here's a picture. If you need a better one, PM me. I could email better pics this evening. Charlee said this about them:

Originally Posted by Charlee
Here's the 1949 Singer blackside 128-23 I picked up Saturday.
The attachments you asked about are "top clamp" and go to one of these:
Davis, New Home, Standard, White, Domestic, Kenmore, Free-Westinghouse, or National.
(list from the book by Charlene Phillips, The Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook)

Evidently there are 12 different sizes of these top clamp attachments that all fit different machines...

I dont think they will work. The few that I have for the domestic look different. Thanks anyways
if any I have would work you can pm
Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
SOS~~Singer 301A owners... what am I doing wrong?

I put my needle in (correct size, etc.) with the flat side to the left and screwed the screw as tight as I can. The needle falls out when I stitch and I can also pull the needle out with my bare fingers.

I will have to go back and read the directions but I am pretty sure it says, 'flat side facing left'. Yikes. I sew wanted to sew tonight. :shock: :?: :roll:
DH to my rescue!

We just happen to have purchased a second 301A a few weeks after the first one. And, lo and behold, DH figured out that my 1st one didn't have the correct screw to hold the needle in place... tightly, I might add.

The sad thing is that the person I purchased it from said she had sewn a lot of items on this machine. NOT, couldn't have. When I sewed with it, I only got to 4 stitches before the needle fell out. Sew, temporarily I am borrowing from my 2nd 301A to help out my 1st one.

The moral to this story is to buy two machines, in case you need something. So, all of you who 'need' a reason to buy more machines that need rescuing... now you have it!

:-D
Old 07-25-2011, 08:28 PM

SewExtreme, To change a needle on my 301, I need to loosen the little thumbscrew further than seems necessary, then wiggle the needle in. It goes further forward than center. When it is deeply seated, tighten the screw. It will pretend to go in toward the center, but I remember losing the needle once or twice last Fall. Hope this works. A stripped screw might be hard to replace.

Q Cowgirl, my National Paveway, badged for Leader, takes those back clamping feet, but I have some. Mine appear to be smaller than the ones in your picture.

Anyone who wants to get rid of some longer needles, let me know. I need Boye 4, size 20x1. They are 1 3/4" long. I haven't tried dropping a 15x1 down yet.