Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-17-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have my Free in treadle sitting in my garage....I plan to sit it outside on nice days so that I can work outside. I know that it will be heavy carrying it from house to patio....
Can you build a trolley under it like I did on my Singer 29K70? I can push it out onto the sidewalk or around back into the alley to work on projects. Just needs a stool instead of a chair to accommodate for the added height. It’s 1x4 boards and small casters. Two casters on one end are rigid, and two on the other end are swivel.

I bolted my stand to it, but you could probably drill holes in the boards where the rollers would nest in them if your machine has rollers.

CD in Oklahoma

Singer 29K70 Trolley
[ATTACH=CONFIG]272880[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-272827.jpe  
Old 10-17-2011, 09:45 AM

CD, do the casters have wheel locks on them so it doesn't scoot away from you as you sew?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:56 AM

Does anyone know how to date a Davis machine? I am trying to date my Minnesota B, I know they made them between 1900 - 1910 for Sear, but I'd like to get a better idea of year. The Serial # is D1415897.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
I have my Free in treadle sitting in my garage....I plan to sit it outside on nice days so that I can work outside. I know that it will be heavy carrying it from house to patio....
Can you build a trolley under it like I did on my Singer 29K70? I can push it out onto the sidewalk or around back into the alley to work on projects. Just needs a stool instead of a chair to accommodate for the added height. It’s 1x4 boards and small casters. Two casters on one end are rigid, and two on the other end are swivel.

I bolted my stand to it, but you could probably drill holes in the boards where the rollers would nest in them if your machine has rollers.

CD in Oklahoma
You are one resourceful fella..:-)
Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Deara
I suppose I should let you all know that my 301 can sew through a rotary mat and not miss a beat.
I had forgotten I had it under the needle using it to cut a few wings from a block. Since my foot is a 1/4" foot, there was no need to use the needle plate for aligning my next step to sew. I always guide the needle first into the fabric for the first stitch. Didn't even notice it was a little stiff. LOL
I sewed about two inches and then saw why sewing was so difficult.
I know the modern plastic machines couldn't do that.

Hope you all enjoy the laugh like I did when I realized what I had done.

Blessings,
Sandi
I don't think I'll try that maneuver with my 301!!! As funny as it would be to see it actually do it,..... LOL
Old 10-17-2011, 10:08 AM

Here's a wonderful resource on ISMACS...listing of all kinds of literature, manuals, lists, brochures, charts, etc etc.

http://www.ismacs.net/international_...iety_news.html
Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 AM

can you tellme where to get bobbins for a new home treadle machine? here is the only number i can find on the machine.2734953 it is on the bobbin cover plate. also how old is it please.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
I'm really glad it's her using it and not me - I wouldn't have any hair. My old machines feel so solid and stitch so well..
Miriam, maybe it's time you taught your DD the value of the vintage machines - or are you not ready to share? :lol:
She takes after the other side of the family...
Uncle Jr.? ;) :lol:
nah not him.... MIL maybe... Uncle Jr died not too long ago
I'm sorry! :( I didn't realize that!!
no big deal nobody was all that close but who knows he didn't leave any legitimate heirs that we know of.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:33 AM

CD in Oklahoma
CD, That's way cool! Yes, I can do that. I have a trolly now that I could use just to make it easier to move from garage to back of house. That can be my start. But I love your trolly idea! Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

CD in Oklahoma
CD, That's way cool! Yes, I can do that. I have a trolly now that I could use just to make it easier to move from garage to back of house. That can be my start. But I love your trolly idea! Thanks for sharing!
trolly. pstsh I have an industrial 241 needs a tow truck to move it anyplace. Needs to go away. Followed me home and DH wouldn't let it in the house. FOR REAL - it is on my back porch. send a pm if ya wanna nice piece of machine... bring yer own tow truck... if nothin' else maybe I could drag it down to Billy's place and have him paint the stupid thing fire engine red then detail it out to look like a Mac truck or a fire truck or something. It's one of those no chrome flat black - not very inspiring to look at machines - sure is big... I bet it would be good for long arm quilting or what ever... that one is all for speed. I should do that with the inheritance we might get from Uncle Junior.