Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
SOS~~Singer 301A owners... what am I doing wrong?

I put my needle in (correct size, etc.) with the flat side to the left and screwed the screw as tight as I can. The needle falls out when I stitch and I can also pull the needle out with my bare fingers.

I will have to go back and read the directions but I am pretty sure it says, 'flat side facing left'. Yikes. I sew wanted to sew tonight. :shock: :?: :roll:
DH to my rescue!

We just happen to have purchased a second 301A a few weeks after the first one. And, lo and behold, DH figured out that my 1st one didn't have the correct screw to hold the needle in place... tightly, I might add.

The sad thing is that the person I purchased it from said she had sewn a lot of items on this machine. NOT, couldn't have. When I sewed with it, I only got to 4 stitches before the needle fell out. Sew, temporarily I am borrowing from my 2nd 301A to help out my 1st one.

The moral to this story is to buy two machines, in case you need something. So, all of you who 'need' a reason to buy more machines that need rescuing... now you have it!

:-D
And that is why I have two Davis NVF and two Two Spools.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose
SewExtreme, To change a needle on my 301, I need to loosen the little thumbscrew further than seems necessary, then wiggle the needle in. It goes further forward than center. When it is deeply seated, tighten the screw. It will pretend to go in toward the center, but I remember losing the needle once or twice last Fall. Hope this works. A stripped screw might be hard to replace.

Q Cowgirl, my National Paveway, badged for Leader, takes those back clamping feet, but I have some. Mine appear to be smaller than the ones in your picture.

Anyone who wants to get rid of some longer needles, let me know. I need Boye 4, size 20x1. They are 1 3/4" long. I haven't tried dropping a 15x1 down yet.
I have one big old long needle LOL... don't know if it's any good
Old 07-25-2011, 08:40 PM

Actually my Davis came with a little original Singer envelope with 3 long needles. Maybe someone will want them.

They are in a Singer package that says 1 x 2
Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Originally Posted by jljack
So, I am looking for a treadle base for my 66 so I can de-motorize it. I am not finding anything in my area reasonable (over $100 for terrible looking stuff), and neither is Sheryl finding anything around Fresno, though she has been trying hard to help me out.

If anyone here within reasonable driving distance (??? from Bakersfield, very little is "reasonable" driving distance!! But hopefully I can do road trip to No or So CA within the next few weeks) has a Singer treadle they can part with for a reasonable price, please let me know. I can do restoration work if required....DH is a "wood guy". Thanks!!
I agree, prices lately have been way too high for stuff I see on Craig's list. I get better prices at garage sales but it takes more work as you have to drive around. Keep looking, one will fall in your lap! If you are ever in San Diego would love to meet you in person. I'll show you all the thrift stores....and there are alot of them.
Deal!!! :-) My DH and his brother still own their parent's house, and it is rented out. We go down a couple of times a year just to check and make sure that the property manager is watching it well. I'll let you know when we are going down next!! :-)
Old 07-25-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
So, I am looking for a treadle base for my 66 so I can de-motorize it. I am not finding anything in my area reasonable (over $100 for terrible looking stuff), and neither is Sheryl finding anything around Fresno, though she has been trying hard to help me out.

If anyone here within reasonable driving distance (??? from Bakersfield, very little is "reasonable" driving distance!! But hopefully I can do road trip to No or So CA within the next few weeks) has a Singer treadle they can part with for a reasonable price, please let me know. I can do restoration work if required....DH is a "wood guy". Thanks!!
You should make the trip up to Sacramento in Sept. for the Gold Country Treadleon Gathering. I'm sure someone there may have a treadle for you.
Janice - sounds like a road trip for us. Pick me up on your way!
Cool!!! I'm absolutely up for this!! I'll talk to you about it, Sheryl. I think it would be great!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl

California folks - We (Janice & I) are also looking into the possibility that we would find a machine & cabinet. I am looking for a machine, working or not, with the coveted decals for display in my sewing room. She would take the cabinet, I would take the machine & we would split the cost. Let one of us know if you see anything in your local area.
I will keep a look; I'm always looking across the nation.
How far will you travel to pick up machine?
Well, Sheryl lives in Fresno, and my BIL lives in Stockton, and my brother lives in the L.A. area, so just about anywhere in CA, I guess.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 PM

Do you live near Bakersfield? In Visalia, there is a Singer treadle with what looks to be a Redeye. Posting has two different prices. Cabinet looks like it may need some work and can't see decals on the Redeye. I say they are asking way too high for this cabinet.

http://visalia.craigslist.org/clt/2483791627.html
Hi - Yes, Visalia is only 1 hour from me. I did see this one, but for the condition of it, I thought the $$ was too high, and I couldn't really see the condition of the decals very well. I will probably call anyway to see if they are at all flexible. It is just so frustrating...the only treadles I find here in town are over $150, no matter how bad they are. And finding irons made into a table...$100!! Ridiculous!!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:30 PM

There's a set of irons for sale up here... In southern Washington!

http://kpr.craigslist.org/fuo/2504479015.html
Thanks, Linda, but you'll see they aren't complete.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I LOVE that 99!!
Janice, I have a hand crank 99 and I think that it might just be my favorite machine. Kathie[/quote]

Kathie, I am going to put a HC on my 99...it needs a knee bar that I don't feel like hunting down, and I don't need another e-machine. I want one to take camping with us, and it's just a good size for that.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Launie
My 15-91 does this thing where, after letting up the gas, the needle still goes up and down a few times before stopping. Not really a big deal, but when quilting, it leaves little "french knots" of thread where I stopped the machine to adjust my quilt. I bought a new pedal and DH put it on for me. I thought maybe that would help but not really. Any ideas? I think I may need a new motor. Is that a difficult thing to do/find?
Lots of machines do that. If you slow down before you get to the stopping point does it still do it?