Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Here I go again. Owner of this doesn't know what it is and I only know singer LOL.. Anyone have an idea how old it might be?
That my dear is a Singer 101. It is a really nice machine and I have been looking for one to toss in the collection. Even though it is one of those fancy type eeeeelectrical machines i still would like to have one.

Billy
Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Here I go again. Owner of this doesn't know what it is and I only know singer LOL.. Anyone have an idea how old it might be?
That my dear is a Singer 101. It is a really nice machine and I have been looking for one to toss in the collection. Even though it is one of those fancy type eeeeelectrical machines i still would like to have one.

Billy
Ahh.... and speaking of odd machines...

I ran across a Singer 328k (made in great britian). Tan in cabinet, uses cams. No accessories, books, or anything included in it. The thrift store wanted $40 for it. Should I consider getting this? It has a hidden belt drive, it looks like. The cabinet is so 50's with only a little side pull out holding almost nothing. ??? Good machine? Or no?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy

I ran across a Singer 328k (made in great britian). Tan in cabinet, uses cams. No accessories, books, or anything included in it. The thrift store wanted $40 for it. Should I consider getting this? It has a hidden belt drive, it looks like. The cabinet is so 50's with only a little side pull out holding almost nothing. ??? Good machine? Or no?
Here is a review: http://zigzaggers.typepad.com/zigzag...model-328.html

Another helpful site I found while researching on zig zag machines for treadles.

Buy it! Rescue it!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Originally Posted by Pins n' Ndls
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by melinda1962
My husband's feet or boots are rough on his socks, and I darn them all the time, but don't have a darning egg so I use a metal ice cream scoop. I am 48, and am tired of buying socks for one time wearing.
OMG! Eeks! I just tell my husband to just throw them away. I don't have the patience to do darning.
I have been known to use a lightbulb !Don't know how I got the bright idea LOL
Awww, heck guys. Darning socks is sooo easy!
I ball them up and toss them in the circular file and say "oh, darn". Problem solved LOL
LOL haahahhaaaaa! That is what my husband says I do now.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Just wish I could on get here when the muffins are still warm and the coffee hot! Play is definitely more fun than work....
Cindy
I agree with you play is more fun and we all love to talk about old machines and yes we do learn a lot. However I seem to spend way to much time here and not getting anything done like quilting or cleaning my many machines,or getting my honey do's done.(I have found my wife lurking around the board several times) :lol: Glenn
Well Glenn isn't it nice to be able to share all these post with your better half? Hubby and I sit here every night a get caught up on what everyone has written. He likes these old ladies (machines) as much as I do. So have fun while you are learning.
Glenn, I have a quilt that I'm calling the never ending quilt, between reading this thread, researching on machines, and other small projects that come up this quilt is taking forever.

My husband also has started to take an interest in my chatting here and has enjoyed some of the conversations. He couldn't believe someone was selling an old machine for $3000. He thinks it is way cool that I have this new hobby and that I'm using the machines too. While watching tv last night, I did some piecing on the 201 that sits behind the living room sofa. Since that machine and treadle are so quiet, he didn't mind. He said with a huge smile, " I like it that you are here with me...nice an cozy".
And he said, "Maybe you can find a treadle for the bathroom too." lol
Old 02-17-2011, 10:23 AM

I think its a Singer 101.
Sharon W.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 AM

Vintagemotif,
How old is your 201 treadle? Mine is circa 1937, learned early on to never take the bobbin case out...liked to never
get it back in again. :oops: :cry:
Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Here is a review: http://zigzaggers.typepad.com/zigzag...model-328.html

Another helpful site I found while researching on zig zag machines for treadles.

Buy it! Rescue it!
Nothing but glowing reviews there, but here's another opinion:
Bill Holman who runs the VintageSingers group at Yahoogroups, absolutely hates that machine. He is an old Singer man from way back... He says it was designed poorly with no way to adjust the hook closer to the needle for sewing on fine things like knits and lingerie. So they skip sts on lightweight fabrics. He said he'd seen people bringing them in for repair for that reason, for years, and there was no way to fix it except that they bought an aftermarket "knit kit" to be installed. He felt the kit should have been done as a recall, not make people pay for it to make the machine work as it should have in the first place. He also said the motor on those was "akin to a hamster in a cage."

I have no dog in this fight, don't own a 328. I just wanted to pass along another opinion to consider, since you asked. :-)
Old 02-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Vintagemotif,
How old is your 201 treadle? Mine is circa 1937, learned early on to never take the bobbin case out...liked to never
get it back in again. :oops: :cry:
Yeah, I read never to do that, like bad move. Must of been a pain to get it back in and working smoothly.

My 201k is 1953; it had the motor for European voltage. I'm thinking someone brought it over from Europe and discovered that they couldn't use it here. So, some guy who collected machines found it. He passed away and family did a garage sell, where I rescued it. I took the irons from a free treadle and very sad cabinet that had a Singer 9W and a free cabinet that was for electric Singers (took the legs off) and put that free nice cabinet on the treadle. The machine only cost me $35 with a box of attachments. So, with some work, I have a 201k in treadle for $35.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:25 AM

[quote=sewbizgirl][quote=vintagemotif]

I ran across a Singer 328k (made in great britian).
Nothing but glowing reviews there, but here's another opinion:
Bill Holman who runs the VintageSingers group at Yahoogroups, absolutely hates that machine. He is an old Singer man from way back... He says it was designed poorly with no way to adjust the hook closer to the needle for sewing on fine things like knits and lingerie. So they skip sts on lightweight fabrics. He said he'd seen people bringing them in for repair for that reason, for years, and there was no way to fix it except that they bought an aftermarket "knit kit" to be installed. He felt the kit should have been done as a recall, not make people pay for it to make the machine work as it should have in the first place. He also said the motor on those was "akin to a hamster in a cage."

I have no dog in this fight, don't own a 328. I just wanted to pass along another opinion to consider, since you asked. :-)
Thanks for this information! I like this help.