Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1054 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 54 554 954 1004 1044 1053 1054 1055 1064 1104 1154 1554 ... LastLast
Results 26,326 to 26,350 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

new user
    I just posted photos and questions on the main forum about my first vintage machine. I put it under the title My first vintage machine. I know very little about sewing machines but I am very proud to own it. It needs work. I have a project on my hands.

It appears to be a New Home model called "New Ideal" made about 1900 according to the serial number 1850982. Obviously a common machine and not that old. But I love it none the less. It apparently belonged to my Great, Great, Grandmother.

If anyone can give me any info on the machine I would appreciate it. Again the confusion is that it is electric with a foot pedal but it is on the iron type of treadle table top and it folds down into the table.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I've got CHSS, don't know what the quilters knot looks like and not very good at darning. But I can put a quilt top together.

Kwendt, Sorry you have been sick but, glad you are back with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett
    Quote Originally Posted by Sede_Mae
    I want to do some "fine" detailed cleaning of my FW... Inside crevaces and all. Outside of machine, NOT inside. I was thinking of using a Q-tip and rubbing alchohol? Would this be OK? or if anyone has some special tricks or advice... I would sure appreciate it. Also... Do you know of a great way or product to brighten the black, make her shine alittle more? My machine is in very good shape...all scoll decals intact... Etc. I just want to dress her up alittle more to take her out !! LOL :-) Thanks everyone,
    Julie
    Not so sure about the rubbing alcohol and how that would react with the finish on the machine, so I would avoid that unless it's on the chrome parts. To get in the crevices, maybe just try a cotton swab or a toothpick with a little bit of cotton ball wrapped around it moistened with some water (if it's not too grimy and just dusty). As far as shine, I've used Scott's Liquid Gold or paste wax on my machines and buffed up with a soft cloth.

Forgot to add, on the wax, don't use one with "cleaner" or an abrasive. :)
    rubbing alcohol if I recall correctly removes paint.

Question to those who would know, what is special about a Bell machine. Other than it looks interesting and very clean, I'm not sure why the price is (what I would consider) high? Is it a rare one?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8751380
    i have been watching this one too. I don't know anything about it. It is cute - but too high priced for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Quote Originally Posted by kwendt
    Hey all my best VSMS buddies....

Now that I'm finally recovering from what turned out to be Pnuemonia, and can sort of think straight, for hours at a time <smile!>; I can jump back into the fray here.

I have an old tensioner question. I have an ancient, 1912 Singer 115/15 treadle head that I've cleaned up and put back together. My first treadle is almost ready to test drive!!! Whoo hoo! But I'm not sure if I have to replace the two tensioner disks or not.

This is the extremely basic, extremely plain tensioner. Has two disks, a washer thing, a spiral spring, a divided post and a thumb nut (and a funky wire/spring thingy for a thread guide/back tensioner that I cannot tell if it's bent out of shape or not.) That's it.

The two plated tension disks where the thread passes between are worn. They are discolored, but not rusted, pitted, burred or lined... just discolored on the highest part of the bevel curve of each disk. About the size of a lifesaver, 1/3" or so. Is this sort of thing indicative of 'worn out-needing to be replaced'? or is this just cosmetic, and it'll be fine?

(I have no other tensioner that's even CLOSE in age, wear or style. Can't compare. Pictures didn't come out.)
    Help? Opinions? Jokes?
    You should be fine with them as long as they aren't worn through and aren't catching/cutting your thread.
    I have a 115 treadle. Is it a good machine to do FMQ? Do the feed dogs drop and if so, how? I can't find much information on the 115. Any info. appreciated!
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by lovelyl
    I have a 115 treadle. Is it a good machine to do FMQ? Do the feed dogs drop and if so, how? I can't find much information on the 115. Any info. appreciated!
    Linda
    Hi Linda. I don't think the feed drops. If you sign onto the Smithsonian archive there's a 115 manual. Try this link:

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect.../NMAHTEX/2683/

I'd use a 15-91, 201 for FMQ but the easiest vintage machine for FMQ, might be one of the Japanese clone 15's, 'cause they have slightly better mechanics and a drop feed dog SWITCH on the front bed of the machine (usually there are three settings: Fine sewing (dogs down slightly), Normal sewing and Embroidery (dogs all the way down). Nice machines. Many of them are belt driven motors, you might be able to treadle them if you really wanted to. But I'm not sure about that.

Here's a picture of mine that I got off goodwill.com. Case is busted, and is on my 'honey do' list. So I haven't sewn with it yet. This picture is when I first got her. Now she's all oiled, rewired, polished and rarin to go. See the drop feed switch on the bed? There are millions of these types (all different names), in different colors out there.

Pinky Tan Dressmaker Japanese Clone
    Name:  Attachment-277370.jpe
Views: 73
Size:  58.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    I want to do some "fine" detailed cleaning of my FW... Inside crevaces and all. Outside of machine, NOT inside. I was thinking of using a Q-tip and rubbing alchohol? Would this be OK? or if anyone has some special tricks or advice... I would sure appreciate it. Also... Do you know of a great way or product to brighten the black, make her shine alittle more? My machine is in very good shape...all scoll decals intact... Etc. I just want to dress her up alittle more to take her out !! LOL :-) Thanks everyone,
    Julie
    Not so sure about the rubbing alcohol and how that would react with the finish on the machine, so I would avoid that unless it's on the chrome parts. To get in the crevices, maybe just try a cotton swab or a toothpick with a little bit of cotton ball wrapped around it moistened with some water (if it's not too grimy and just dusty). As far as shine, I've used Scott's Liquid Gold or paste wax on my machines and buffed up with a soft cloth.

Forgot to add, on the wax, don't use one with "cleaner" or an abrasive. :)
    rubbing alcohol if I recall correctly removes paint.
    Don't want to use rubbing alcohol - messes up the finish. Ask me how I know :roll:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    I've been busy this past weekend. Our 100 member quilt guild had its quilt show. Last Friday I worked 8 hours helping set up, then volunteered at the show Saturday and Sunday, and helped with take down. It is a tremendous amount of work to put on a show. My hat is off to anyone who has ever been the Chairperson for an event like that. I was just one little committee person. Lots of beautiful quilts. I'm hoping for the next show, that I can have a roped off area and display some of my antique Iron Ladies. It won't be for 2 years. I did get a Blue Ribbon in my division, so I was a happy quilter.

Texas Jan

OK, I confess (raising hand!!) I'm the chair for our guild's quilt show in January 2012. But I have tons of help, and I was very involved the last 2 shows, so I am pretty confident we'll do OK. :shock:
    My hat is surely off to you!!

Texas Jan
    Well, gee, thanks!! :-) The gang has done so many it's kinda a slam dunk...just organizing the meetings, tending to some of the details, etc. Not too hard!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Needle turn is where you turn the raw edge of the applique piece under itself and stitch it to the background fabric by hand. No stitching shows on top at all.

Texas Jan
    That is unless I am the one doing the handsewing!! I have 'CHSS' LOL
    LMAO!!! That one took me a few seconds to figure out! ;)
    Guess I am "dense". I don't get it???

Texas Jan
    Can't Hand Sew (uh...) STUFF!! ;)
    Thanks Charlee. I would have never figured that one out. lol

Texas Jan
    Me neither, and I actually have a form of that very same syndrome!! LOL LOL

Blog Entries
    Needle turn is where you turn the raw edge of the applique piece under itself and stitch it to the background fabric by hand. No stitching shows on top at all.

Texas Jan
    That is unless I am the one doing the handsewing!! I have 'CHSS' LOL
    LMAO!!! That one took me a few seconds to figure out! ;)
    Guess I am "dense". I don't get it???

Texas Jan
    Can't Hand Sew (uh...) STUFF!! ;)
    Thanks Charlee. I would have never figured that one out. lol

Texas Jan
    Me neither, and I actually have a form of that very same syndrome!! LOL LOL
    I have disorganizationia...

Blog Entries
    Iunique... nice looking Japanese clone 15. LOVE the face plate. Handsome!

I think the free manual for the clones was off the sew-classic website? Try there first, if you don't find it... send me a message and I'll send you the .pdf.

So nice to be 'back'.... but oh my word, have I got a lot to catch up on!
    So glad to see you back....and that you are recovering from the "crud"!!

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    I want to do some "fine" detailed cleaning of my FW... Also... Do you know of a great way or product to brighten the black, make her shine alittle more?, Julie
    As far as shine, I've used Scott's Liquid Gold or paste wax on my machines and buffed up with a soft cloth. Forgot to add, on the wax, don't use one with "cleaner" or an abrasive. :)
    Don't want to use rubbing alcohol - messes up the finish. Ask me how I know :roll:
    Ouch, QCG!. People use all kinds of things. Try all things out carefully before using. Each machine is different. I've had huge success cleaning with Kerosene first. Then carefully use cotton balls with NON-PUMICE Goop, although someone else suggested Dawn dishwashing liquid to carefully loose up the old oil. Then used sewing machine oil to 'polish' or Scott's Liquid Gold (there are different versions of Scotts, cleaners, polishers etc. Make sure to get the right one.) I once used my husbands Porsche Carnuba car wax that he special orders (don't tell!). It did a super fine job, but getting the tell-tale smell out of the house before he came home..... phew. lol.

On my FW, I used Goop carefully to clean, then sewing machine oil to protective coat it. My FW had been obviously sitting unused for 30+ years when I got it, so it's been sitting now for a month - just breathing, relaxing. I'll go back and re-oil the mechanics and Liquid Gold the exterior when I go to use it.

Other's have suggested careful use of TR-3 Resin Glaze (a car product), but have said to be really careful not to get it on the decals. I hear tell it fills in hairline cracks and buffs up to a 'clear coat' type shine... but I haven't personally tried it yet.

Question to those who would know, what is special about a Bell machine. Other than it looks interesting and very clean, I'm not sure why the price is (what I would consider) high? Is it a rare one?

That is intriguing! I have never seen one.

So glad to see you back....and that you are recovering from the "crud"!!
    Thanks Janice, and others! Recovering and itch'in to get back into it. I've spent ALL AFTERNOON on this Board! Yikes! lol

Blog Entries
    Ouch, QCG!. People use all kinds of things. Try all things out carefully before using. Each machine is different. I've had huge success cleaning with Kerosene first. Then carefully use cotton balls with NON-PUMICE Goop, although someone else suggested Dawn dishwashing liquid to carefully loose up the old oil. Then used sewing machine oil to 'polish' or Scott's Liquid Gold (there are different versions of Scotts, cleaners, polishers etc. Make sure to get the right one.) I once used my husbands Porsche Carnuba car wax that he special orders (don't tell!). It did a super fine job, but getting the tell-tale smell out of the house before he came home..... phew. lol.

On my FW, I used Goop carefully to clean, then sewing machine oil to protective coat it. My FW had been obviously sitting unused for 30+ years when I got it, so it's been sitting now for a month - just breathing, relaxing. I'll go back and re-oil the mechanics and Liquid Gold the exterior when I go to use it.

Other's have suggested careful use of TR-3 Resin Glaze (a car product), but have said to be really careful not to get it on the decals. I hear tell it fills in hairline cracks and buffs up to a 'clear coat' type shine... but I haven't personally tried it yet.
    My Featherweight had somehow acquired a stickiness to her finish. Like she had been sprayed with hairspray that set. Tried water. Tried small amount of soap with water. Hmmm...what cuts through stickiness...out came the rubbing alcohol. Dumb. Now she has a dull finish. After having her 30+years in great shape. Oh, and still sticky in places. *sigh*

Blog Entries
    Hey all my best VSMS buddies....

Now that I'm finally recovering from what turned out to be Pnuemonia, and can sort of think straight, for hours at a time <smile!>; I can jump back into the fray here.

I have an old tensioner question. I have an ancient, 1912 Singer 115/15 treadle head that I've cleaned up and put back together. My first treadle is almost ready to test drive!!! Whoo hoo! But I'm not sure if I have to replace the two tensioner disks or not.

This is the extremely basic, extremely plain tensioner. Has two disks, a washer thing, a spiral spring, a divided post and a thumb nut (and a funky wire/spring thingy for a thread guide/back tensioner that I cannot tell if it's bent out of shape or not.) That's it.

The two plated tension disks where the thread passes between are worn. They are discolored, but not rusted, pitted, burred or lined... just discolored on the highest part of the bevel curve of each disk. About the size of a lifesaver, 1/3" or so. Is this sort of thing indicative of 'worn out-needing to be replaced'? or is this just cosmetic, and it'll be fine?

(I have no other tensioner that's even CLOSE in age, wear or style. Can't compare. Pictures didn't come out.)
    Help? Opinions? Jokes?
    You should be fine with them as long as they aren't worn through and aren't catching/cutting your thread.
    My 15 clone has that same tensioner, and the wire is really funky...seems to be too long, and catches the thread coming down from the takeup arm if I'm not careful. I still need to oil this machine more to get it moving smoother, but that wire is really annoying!! I tried bending it up out of the way some and that helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

That Bell looks plastic...not sure why it's what it is. Curious. Now isn't there an all metal 'grasshopper' machine? Small too, I forget ... Elna maybe? That's a vintage.

But, did you see they had TWO White/Green Featherweights right off the bat? TWO! 'course the bids are both over $300 on each. There's a pristine Centennial black FW too, looks store new. And a 2nd black Centennial. Man. Yeah. lol...

Blog Entries

I was looking at that too, and since I have never seen one before, yep, I'll bet my dollar it's probably somewhat rare.

Quote Originally Posted by jratti
    Again the confusion is that it is electric with a foot pedal but it is on the iron type of treadle table top and it folds down into the table.
    My guess is that this machine uses a shuttle rather than a round bobbin. And yes, she is old. She probably was treadled until someone added a motor to speed up the process. Looks like they took off parts of the treadle mechanism as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

That Bell looks plastic...not sure why it's what it is. Curious. Now isn't there an all metal 'grasshopper' machine? Small too, I forget ... Elna maybe? That's a vintage.

But, did you see they had TWO White/Green Featherweights right off the bat? TWO! 'course the bids are both over $300 on each. There's a pristine Centennial black FW too, looks store new. Yeah. lol...
    Yes, the very first Elna was the "Grasshopper" Model 1, followed by the first green Supermatic. I researched them before I bought my Supermatic. Don't have it running yet.

Blog Entries
    I'm excited to get home....my Davis arrived today. DH called me to say it was there, and that he opened the damaged box to be sure the machine was OK. Said he didn't see any damage, but I'll check it when I get home. I'll post pics tonite later...church at 7:00.

Blog Entries
    I'm excited to get home....my Davis arrived today. DH called me to say it was there, and that he opened the damaged box to be sure the machine was OK. Said he didn't see any damage, but I'll check it when I get home. I'll post pics tonite later...church at 7:00.
    Oh the anticipation!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

ALERT: Nice looking Singer 66-1 Red Head (Eye) with the SILVER badge at auction from the Rochester Goodwill. Backclamp, has reg foot. Bed is dusty or possibly clouded. But decals look pristine, little to no wear in the pictures. A FIND. If shipping weren't $54, I'd get it.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8807154

Somebody please rescue this baby...

Oh the anticipation!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Gosh, I hope it's okay! Please, oh please, oh please be okay!

ALERT: Nice looking Singer 66-1 Red Head (Eye) with the SILVER badge at auction from the Rochester Goodwill. Backclamp, has reg foot. Bed is dusty or possibly clouded. But decals look pristine, little to no wear in the pictures. A FIND. If shipping weren't $54, I'd get it.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8807154

Somebody please rescue this baby...
    The hand wheel looks crooked to me.