Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well here is my 1885 Eldredge I bought before I started working on it and one of the treadle after sand blasting and painting it. I will be working on the cabinet this weekend. This will be one of my nicest machines I own!!

Billy
Can't wait to see the rest, Billy~~~
I have to get a few customers machines out of the way before I do anything else to it. Then I have a 1940 Ford Coupe sitting in my garage ready for a bunch of body work and paint so I will be busy with everyone elses stuff for a while. But I am not complaining at all. I can work my stuff in as I do everything else. :wink:

Billy
Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Just wish I could on get here when the muffins are still warm and the coffee hot! Play is definitely more fun than work....
Cindy
I agree with you play is more fun and we all love to talk about old machines and yes we do learn a lot. However I seem to spend way to much time here and not getting anything done like quilting or cleaning my many machines,or getting my honey do's done.(I have found my wife lurking around the board several times) :lol: Glenn
Well Glenn isn't it nice to be able to share all these post with your better half? Hubby and I sit here every night a get caught up on what everyone has written. He likes these old ladies (machines) as much as I do. So have fun while you are learning.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Trish,
I thought the 1st picture looked like Wheeler and Wilson.
:-D
Sharon W.
Sharon you were right. I have to label all our machines so I know which is which. Hubby can tell the difference where I can't.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Congratulations on your Rocketeer! Is that the 500? I have the 501a. Boy, you sure got a lot of nice loot with the machine too!
Nancy
It is a 500a, Nancy. Thanks.[/quote]

Congratulations on your Rocketeer!

Billy the irons look really good and the gold really makes the irons stand out.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Originally Posted by Pins n' Ndls
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by melinda1962
My husband's feet or boots are rough on his socks, and I darn them all the time, but don't have a darning egg so I use a metal ice cream scoop. I am 48, and am tired of buying socks for one time wearing.
OMG! Eeks! I just tell my husband to just throw them away. I don't have the patience to do darning.
I have been known to use a lightbulb !Don't know how I got the bright idea LOL
Awww, heck guys. Darning socks is sooo easy!
I ball them up and toss them in the circular file and say "oh, darn". Problem solved LOL
That's a good one! :mrgreen: I'll have to remember that my DH just told me he has some socks I need to fix.

As you can see we've been trying to catch up on all the post!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:16 AM

Here I go again. Owner of this doesn't know what it is and I only know singer LOL.. Anyone have an idea how old it might be?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-128407.jpe   attachment-128408.jpe  
Old 02-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
My mother used to darn socks by hand (she just turned 89), using a darning egg :-D ....she still has that egg...LOL!
I have a wooden darning egg and darn my handknit socks by hand. It's the only way... :D

You can also use a 'real' egg, if you are really, really careful.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Here I go again. Owner of this doesn't know what it is and I only know singer LOL.. Anyone have an idea how old it might be?
I'd like to know, too... It looks like a 66, but has a newer bobbin winder mechanism than the 66s or 99s... And I don't recognize what that gold button is, just above the badge.

Maybe it's a later 66?

Curious.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Good morning everyone. Here's some warm banana bread for breakfast. Enjoy and have a good day.

So, how many of you folks have completed Billy's cleaning tutorial and successfully got them back together with no missing parts and no extra parts? I'm close to finishing, but my number and sizes of screws left over don't seem to be right. . . I guess that could mean the wrong ones were put in elswhere! I hope not, but we'll see. I'd love to see your comparison photos of before and after and I'll post mine in the next couple of days when completed.

Hi all!

1. Love the banana bread! Goes wonderful with my coffee!

2. Billy, the Eldridge irons look fab. Exactly what I expect from you! (Restoring it to STOCK conditions).

3. Tomilu, I have the same buttonholer you do. I noticed also that the instruction book SAID it worked with 201 and 301 (and others). But really mine is the slant shank, 301 version.

4. Still in mid process of refinishing and repairing. It's been humid as all get out here. Typical for florida, I know. Using Glenn's tutorial and making some modifications for climate conditions as I go.

5. Re: number of screws and things. I've got the following all dissassembled in my sew room right now: 1 cabinet, 1 stool, a 15-91 and a 301. I've got all these parts in zip lock bags, labeled as to what machine/what cabinet and where. Screws go into bags with their corresponding hardware then labeled, other screws and parts in little bags, labeled. I know me. I get going for a while, then move to handle other things... have to come back to the original project weeks later. Therefore I need to mark/organize everything completely in order to put it all back together.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Curious.
It is curious. That cabinet is a later cabinet, too. What's the S/N of the machine? That will tell us approx. age and model type.