Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-02-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn

My fault I assumed it was oak. Looks like mahogony from the grain. you would have to order veneer for this from a wood worker cat. It can be patched but I would wait until stripped to see. I have in the past painted faux grain on a damaged spot to match the rest of the wood. You can get cherry or mahogony easy enough. Glenn
Is it possibly walnut? And while we're on the subject, could you explain the difference in the grain of walnut and mahogany? I can't always make the distinction between different woods.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
OH!!! I'm SO excited!!!! I get to go pick up my black Singer 301 in the pristine trapazoid table on Monday!!! A two hour road trip, but ooooohhhh so worth it. (OMG, where am I going to PUT the thing??? !) IN THE BATHROOM! (just kidding, lol).

S'wonderful!
My wife said if I get another machine she will put me in the bathroom. Can not wait to see pic of the trapazoid table. Glenn
Here's what I have from the seller:
I have the blonde version of your cabinet, inside is a black 301.
Sharon W.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:11 PM

Thank you so much for the information on the back
clamping feet. I have not used my 66 yes so will have to
check out what kind of feet it has. My 27 and 28 are side
ones. Kathie
Old 02-02-2011, 08:16 PM

My fault I assumed it was oak. Looks like mahogony from the grain. you would have to order veneer for this from a wood worker cat. It can be patched but I would wait until stripped to see. I have in the past painted faux grain on a damaged spot to match the rest of the wood. You can get cherry or mahogony easy enough. Glenn
Rockler's has mahogony by sheet or roll. I wouldn't need a whole lot if I did this. I'll send a picture of it stripped, after I work with it a bit. I appreciate your expertise, Glenn... thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Is it possibly walnut? And while we're on the subject, could you explain the difference in the grain of walnut and mahogany? I can't always make the distinction between different woods.

Here's the info on the cabinet:

No. 40 Cabinet
15-90's, 15-91's, 66-16's, 201-2's, 201-3's and 301-1's

A handsome table in design, material and construction it is equal to the best of furniture and forms a pleasing addition to the equipment of any beautifully furnished room. When closed, it may be used as a writing desk, library table, serving table or for any other useful or ornamental purpose about the home. Made in Walnut, Mahogany or brown mission.

Cabinet 40 - About this color too.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122516[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-122511.jpe  
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 PM

Yes, I suppose it could be, since Singer made these cabinets in walnut, mahogany or mission (whatever that is).

Mahogany
A tropical medium-to-hard wood indigenous to South America, Central America, and Africa, mahogany’s strength makes it an excellent carving wood. It has a uniform pore structure, a medium grain, and less defined annual rings. Mahogany ranges from tan to reddish-brown in color, and may display stripe, ribbon, rope, ripple, or blister figures. Its stability and resistance to decay makes the wood ideal for high-quality cabinetry and furniture.

Walnut
Prized in North America for high-end cabinetry and furniture, walnut provides strength, hardness, and durability without excessive weight. It has excellent woodworking qualities and takes finishes well. Walnut is light to dark chocolate-brown in color, with a straight grain in the trunk. It can be found in the United States and Canada.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Banned

Is it the one with the fiddle base and the elegant irons?? They are often listed together with National machines. All it says in Charles Law's book is "1880's". Annie Kusilek probably knows more about the National machines than anyone I know. It's worth a try to ask her.

http://www.ismacs.net/national/eldre...rtisement.html
Its like the #3 on the top left hand side. From what I have read about the machine so far the latest it can be is 1886 and the patent dates on the accessories and the aftermarket Johnston's Rufler and Tuckmarker is 1885. And I will have to call Annie and see if she has anything on the machine. It has been a while since I talked to her and it was her that got me into quilting. She and I use the same machine to do all of our FMQ with.

Billy
Old 02-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

OH!!! I'm SO excited!!!! I get to go pick up my black Singer 301 in the pristine trapazoid table on Monday!!! A two hour road trip, but ooooohhhh so worth it. (OMG, where am I going to PUT the thing??? !) IN THE BATHROOM! (just kidding, lol).

S'wonderful!
My wife said if I get another machine she will put me in the bathroom. Can not wait to see pic of the trapazoid table. Glenn
Here's what I have from the seller:
LOVE both cabinet and machine!!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
What are back clamping feet? Kathie
Just like the side clamping feet, but they screw on from the back. Their thumb screw is on the back of the bar, instead of the side.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:19 AM

Rockler's has mahogony by sheet or roll. I wouldn't need a whole lot if I did this. I'll send a picture of it stripped, after I work with it a bit. I appreciate your expertise, Glenn... thanks!
WOW.. I saw this about veneers and did a quick search for Rockler's. I will be needing veneer too. It's a great site so wanted to put the link in for others that might need it.

http://www.rockler.com/c/wood-veneer.cfm