Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 953 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 453 853 903 943 952 953 954 963 1003 1053 1453 ... LastLast
Results 23,801 to 23,825 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare
    I am new to being able to identify the various sewing machines.
    I found this on CL, She really can't tell much about the machine, except that she painted the cabinet, from the pictures it looks like the machine has some paint on it too. She is willing to seperate them. What do you all think, is this a 15? Thank you

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2597163130.html
    Yes it sure is! You can always tell a 15 by the tensioner knob being on the faceplate to the left side when you are facing the machine, versus most all others are on the front of the machine when you are facing the machine. Clear as mud? lol

Blog Entries
    I found this on CL, She really can't tell much about the machine, except that she painted the cabinet, from the pictures it looks like the machine has some paint on it too. She is willing to seperate them. What do you all think, is this a 15? Thank you

OMG! That poor treadle is so white.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    I love pictures but my camera seems to blur close up shots. I don't know if I have it set wrong or what. Drives me nuts. Great camera otherwise. I think you have a good idea though.
    See if your camera has a macro setting, that will take close up pics better. Also set a higher resolution so you can zoom them up without blurring them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Thanks, Monica. I'm sure this one is a 15-91...potted motor. It's really clean.
    And I missed it!! I had to go to a meeting, and someone bid $10 more than I did. :x :( Well, I guess I'll find another one sooner or later. But it was Blackside!!!
    Janice,

Sorry that you didn't win.

Is Tulare on the way up to Fresno? I would check this CLs post.
    http://visalia.craigslist.org/atq/2577377744.html

Maybe your treadle and Singer 15.

And this one too:
    http://fresno.craigslist.org/atq/2579136820.html

This looks to be a Singer 15-90; you could use as e-machine or use in treadle.

Thanks, Monica. I've seen those but they are a drive away from me and I don't have time right now to do any more traveling. I''ll have to wait for a bit.

Blog Entries

:shock: :shock: Who would do that???? :evil:

Just had a big car repair bill, so on a sewing machine diet. I did dig through some fabric and use my Pfaff 230 to make a strip quilt top from strips I cut with a cutter that DH got me for my birthday that I figured I'd never use. The Pfaff is the ticket for that, because it is an extremely fast machine. Whoo hoo. For its $10 price, it came with a box of attachments including a hopping quilting foot?, but I haven't even tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by no1jan
    Well I guess I'll start if off. This is my newest acquisition I picked up this last week. I had posted it already, but it deserves to shine on this post.

It a a Singer Model 66-1 Treadle I got off Craigslist for free! :) :) :)

Works beautifully except for the bobbin winder I broke while cleaning her.

Isn't she a beauty. Haven't named her yet. :thumbup:
    Jan your 66 is just stunning! To think you got her for free! Just stunning!

Blog Entries
    Just saw this very funny ad:

1920 singer sewing machine with extra needles and tips call

TIPS??? What are TIPS??? Hahahaha!!!

Blog Entries

send a link for that one!!!

Blog Entries
    For the best instructions on refurbishing a sewing machine, like a Singer 66, check out this link. It is in PDF format and covers just about everything.

http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Just posted some slant shank attachments over in the classifieds for a 301/401 if anyone is interested! :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    For the best instructions on refurbishing a sewing machine, like a Singer 66, check out this link. It is in PDF format and covers just about everything.

http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/

Texas Jan
    Yes, I've seen that - lots of useful info!!!

Blog Entries

:shock: :shock: Who would do that???? :evil:
    I went to look at this machine last spring. She was asking $100 then and wouldn't come down. The cabinet is in pretty bad shape, I can't remember what is broken, but it needed repair. The cabinet is also missing the middle drawer. There is white paint on the machine too. The tension knob on the machine had been messed up by her grandkids. For $30, I'd get it now if I needed another 15, but I didn't think it was worth $100 last spring. Obviously, she is having trouble selling it.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Hi - can someone help me out with this machine? I know I am supposed to be cutting back, but it is $25 and neat looking - I'm just not sure what model Singer it is... and is it worth getting?
    http://rochester.craigslist.org/art/2593482874.html
    OOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a Singer 503. I gave one to my DIL and she LOVES it. YES it is worth getting. It is the same as a Singer 403 inside. The 403 and the 503 are like the 401 and 500 but they require disks for everything. I think the 403 and the 503 have a bit better stitch width control but that is my dirty little secret. Make sure they include the zig zag disk and any others you can get your hands on.

Miriam, could you explain this? I've read this and I don't understand why the 503 and 403 would have better stitch width control. How are the 500 and 401 different in the stitch width area? Thanks.

Maybe it eats fingers and has a few spare ones? :>

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Hi - can someone help me out with this machine? I know I am supposed to be cutting back, but it is $25 and neat looking - I'm just not sure what model Singer it is... and is it worth getting?
    OOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a Singer 503. I gave one to my DIL and she LOVES it. YES it is worth getting. It is the same as a Singer 403 inside. The 403 and the 503 are like the 401 and 500 but they require disks for everything. I think the 403 and the 503 have a bit better stitch width control but that is my dirty little secret. Make sure they include the zig zag disk and any others you can get your hands on.

Miriam, could you explain this? I've read this and I don't understand why the 503 and 403 would have better stitch width control. How are the 500 and 401 different in the stitch width area? Thanks.

I just know that when I use the 403 I can get different widths for the decorative stitches. The 401 camstack is set for what ever you get - for example EQ2 will make a stitch - that's it only stitch length adjustment. The 403 with a disk will make the same stitch and then you have a width adjustment as well as length adjustment. I'm thinking if you use the disk the 401 will do the width in what ever you want to set it. On the other hand - I mostly use it set to the full width. Then the 403 is easier to maintain - that cam stack can get stuck if the oil dries.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    Just had a big car repair bill, so on a sewing machine diet. I did dig through some fabric and use my Pfaff 230 to make a strip quilt top from strips I cut with a cutter that DH got me for my birthday that I figured I'd never use. The Pfaff is the ticket for that, because it is an extremely fast machine. Whoo hoo. For its $10 price, it came with a box of attachments including a hopping quilting foot?, but I haven't even tried it.
    Melinda, all those Pfaff's are work horses! I love my Mom's 130! Please post a picture of your strip quilt!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    thanks bojangles...I knew it had to have something to do with the thread....

If anyone needs a little green in their life and is close to OKC, this one looks like it needs a good home:

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/atq/2596894802.html

Blog Entries

And the 603 - I missed the 503 :( (Someone has snatched it up fast!) , but there is a 603 listed (and I know they can do a chain stitch, which I think is pretty cool.) But, I had the exact same question last night - and what is the difference between the 403, 503 and 603s?

Blog Entries
    Looks like it might be an Elna Supermatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett
    If anyone needs a little green in their life and is close to OKC, this one looks like it needs a good home:

Quote Originally Posted by buslady

It is an Elna Supramatic. Can't tell but looks like power cord and knee control are there. Don't know what the thing is on the bed but there should be a utility tray that slides under the arm. I have one of these machines. It carries cams and will do a hem stitching stitch. Some one was talking about making baby blankets the other day and how to finish the edge. This stitch will make the holes so that making a crochet edge looks very nice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady

Yes, that is a Supermatic. I have one, but not working yet.

I just know that when I use the 403 I can get different widths for the decorative stitches. The 401 camstack is set for what ever you get - for example EQ2 will make a stitch - that's it only stitch length adjustment. The 403 with a disk will make the same stitch and then you have a width adjustment as well as length adjustment. I'm thinking if you use the disk the 401 will do the width in what ever you want to set it. On the other hand - I mostly use it set to the full width. Then the 403 is easier to maintain - that cam stack can get stuck if the oil dries.
    Interesting. I guess the plus of the 401 and 500 would be no fussing for cams but the negative would be the extra weight and the inability to tweak the stitches.

Blog Entries

send a link for that one!!!
    Sorry, Miriam. I looked for it again, but can't find it. I think it was on eBay, but maybe it was on Craigslist. I looked at both yesterday.