Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 951 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 451 851 901 941 950 951 952 961 1001 1051 1451 ... LastLast
Results 23,751 to 23,775 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #23751
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kountrykreation
    Where's a good place to get a replacement (motor) belt for a 1914 Singer Redeye.
    Kountrykreation, if you have a 1914 Model 66 with a motor, it must be a friction motor and belt? The 1914's should have been a treadle but a lot of people were so enamored with electricity when it became readily available to most people in the 20's and 30's that they added a motor to their treadles. Those belts are easily attained from most sewing repair shops, on-line, e-bay, etc. I'd measure your belt before ordering/picking up the belt. Good luck!

    Nancy

  2. #23752
    Junior Member BZ quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    No e-machine this was PP.
    What is an e-machine and PP?
    e-machine = electric machine
    PP = people powered machine (treadle or handcrank)

    (I learned the abbreviations this past weekend at the TOGA - now I'm "politically correct" haha)
    I thought PP meant paper piecing which I am doing on my PP :)

  3. #23753
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,417
    Blog Entries
    3
    I thought so to. I think the difference is like 'I'm PP a quilt' as opposed to I'm piecing a quilt on a PPmachine. make sense?

  4. #23754
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    OMG! These things really do work well!

    After seeing a demo at the TOGA this weekend, I got brave enough to play with my Singer ruffler today.

    These are the best! This is the prettiest gathering I have ever done.
    Wow Monica good for you! I tried to use the ruffler a while back and got 'flat' spots. It would ruffle for a while - skip with no ruffling - then ruffle again! I wonder if it was operator error or a bad ruffler? I will have to try again!

    Nancy
    Nancy, Maybe someone had tried to adjust that ruffler to make it work for them, but that isn't the case now. I have two Singer rufflers. One doesn't work for me. It looks like someone had bent a piece of the metal and messed with one area where a screw adjustment sits. I can fix that easily.
    The blue plates where the fabric goes through should be lined up together too and not bent or one slightly off to one side from each other.

  5. #23755
    Super Member deplaylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Webster, NY
    Posts
    1,007
    Blog Entries
    22
    Hi - can someone help me out with this machine? I know I am supposed to be cutting back, but it is $25 and neat looking - I'm just not sure what model Singer it is... and is it worth getting?
    http://rochester.craigslist.org/art/2593482874.html

  6. #23756
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Monica, I am looking at a Singer 15...it has a potted motor, so is it a 15-91? The listing on ISMACS says Gear Driven for a -91. Thanks!!

  7. #23757
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Hi - can someone help me out with this machine? I know I am supposed to be cutting back, but it is $25 and neat looking - I'm just not sure what model Singer it is... and is it worth getting?
    http://rochester.craigslist.org/art/2593482874.html
    OOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a Singer 503. I gave one to my DIL and she LOVES it. YES it is worth getting. It is the same as a Singer 403 inside. The 403 and the 503 are like the 401 and 500 but they require disks for everything. I think the 403 and the 503 have a bit better stitch width control but that is my dirty little secret. Make sure they include the zig zag disk and any others you can get your hands on.

  8. #23758
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knot Merrill, Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,713
    I have a two questions. I am soon to embark on restoring a 1923 Singer Model 66 Treadle Red Eye. The decals are in great shape and naturally I'd like to keep them that way.

    I've reviewed Billy's tute on cleaning and disassembling the machine, and I've reviewed *some* of the 1584 pages of posts here on this thread and elsewhere on QB. In the tute, he basically soaks/scrubs the entire machine in kerosene - including the decals. BUT I seem to recall seeing at least one post, and my husband is also worried, that Kerosend will remove/damage the decals.

    So which is it? Will kerosene ruin the decals??

    Second question is with regard to cleaning the workings of the machine. In Billy's tute he removed everything under the face place, the bobbin winder, the bobbin holder, the tension discs - etc. At no time did I see him remove any of the parts located in the pillar or upper arm (the gear works). So ... can these parts be removed? I'd really like to give them a good scrubbing.

    thanks all. This is my first vintage machine. It's a voyage of discovery for me.

    BTW - Hubby is in charge of restoring/revamping the cabinet which was in poor condition - but the irons all work well which is the important part. We decided that we're going to completely replace the wood top and instead of a drop in table he's going to make a coffin top and recess the machine. He already has the irons all apart and has sand blasted the wheel so far.

    Thanks all
    Sue - proud new owner of a not YET working vintage treadle

  9. #23759
    Super Member deplaylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Webster, NY
    Posts
    1,007
    Blog Entries
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Hi - can someone help me out with this machine? I know I am supposed to be cutting back, but it is $25 and neat looking - I'm just not sure what model Singer it is... and is it worth getting?
    http://rochester.craigslist.org/art/2593482874.html
    OOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a Singer 503. I gave one to my DIL and she LOVES it. YES it is worth getting. It is the same as a Singer 403 inside. The 403 and the 503 are like the 401 and 500 but they require disks for everything. I think the 403 and the 503 have a bit better stitch width control but that is my dirty little secret. Make sure they include the zig zag disk and any others you can get your hands on.
    Thanks - I sent an email - Hope they respond!

  10. #23760
    Super Member QuiltnCowgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calif (San Joaquin Valley)
    Posts
    3,591
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Hi - can someone help me out with this machine? I know I am supposed to be cutting back, but it is $25 and neat looking - I'm just not sure what model Singer it is... and is it worth getting?
    http://rochester.craigslist.org/art/2593482874.html
    OOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a Singer 503. I gave one to my DIL and she LOVES it. YES it is worth getting. It is the same as a Singer 403 inside. The 403 and the 503 are like the 401 and 500 but they require disks for everything. I think the 403 and the 503 have a bit better stitch width control but that is my dirty little secret. Make sure they include the zig zag disk and any others you can get your hands on.
    Thanks - I sent an email - Hope they respond!
    And if you need any disks I have found someone who sells them. Has an awesome inventory of them. :)

  11. #23761
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I have a two questions. I am soon to embark on restoring a 1923 Singer Model 66 Treadle Red Eye. The decals are in great shape and naturally I'd like to keep them that way.

    I've reviewed Billy's tute on cleaning and disassembling the machine, and I've reviewed *some* of the 1584 pages of posts here on this thread and elsewhere on QB. In the tute, he basically soaks/scrubs the entire machine in kerosene - including the decals. BUT I seem to recall seeing at least one post, and my husband is also worried, that Kerosend will remove/damage the decals.

    So which is it? Will kerosene ruin the decals??

    Second question is with regard to cleaning the workings of the machine. In Billy's tute he removed everything under the face place, the bobbin winder, the bobbin holder, the tension discs - etc. At no time did I see him remove any of the parts located in the pillar or upper arm (the gear works). So ... can these parts be removed? I'd really like to give them a good scrubbing.

    thanks all. This is my first vintage machine. It's a voyage of discovery for me.

    BTW - Hubby is in charge of restoring/revamping the cabinet which was in poor condition - but the irons all work well which is the important part. We decided that we're going to completely replace the wood top and instead of a drop in table he's going to make a coffin top and recess the machine. He already has the irons all apart and has sand blasted the wheel so far.

    Thanks all
    Sue - proud new owner of a not YET working vintage treadle
    Basically, everyone has his or her own way of doing it. For me it varies according to what I find inside a machine. If you are worried, you can use sewing machine oil to clean the decals. I figure take it apart if you can get it back together. Do a bit at a time. Keep a muffin pan around to collect parts. If you disassemble much you will need to have a service manual handy. So far, on MOST machines, I have given things a good cleaning without taking all that much apart. One machine may need a tension dis-assembly the next maybe not. On another a needle bar may need to be replaced. If it is really gummed up or rusted I can see that you might have to disassemble more or VERY carefully use a stronger solvent. I use an eyelash brush to get in the tight places. Some here recommend putting the machine on a towel or a disposable diaper. Let us see how it turns out!

  12. #23762
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Hi - can someone help me out with this machine? I know I am supposed to be cutting back, but it is $25 and neat looking - I'm just not sure what model Singer it is... and is it worth getting?
    http://rochester.craigslist.org/art/2593482874.html
    OOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a Singer 503. I gave one to my DIL and she LOVES it. YES it is worth getting. It is the same as a Singer 403 inside. The 403 and the 503 are like the 401 and 500 but they require disks for everything. I think the 403 and the 503 have a bit better stitch width control but that is my dirty little secret. Make sure they include the zig zag disk and any others you can get your hands on.
    Thanks - I sent an email - Hope they respond!
    And if you need any disks I have found someone who sells them. Has an awesome inventory of them. :)
    I am interested in disks

  13. #23763
    Junior Member Mollie'sMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Ga.
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    OMG! These things really do work well!

    After seeing a demo at the TOGA this weekend, I got brave enough to play with my Singer ruffler today.

    These are the best! This is the prettiest gathering I have ever done.
    Wow Monica good for you! I tried to use the ruffler a while back and got 'flat' spots. It would ruffle for a while - skip with no ruffling - then ruffle again! I wonder if it was operator error or a bad ruffler? I will have to try again!

    Nancy
    It has been a while since I used my ruffler, but from what I can remember, there is a way to set it to make a few stitches and then skip a few. This one came with my 500A and I have had it since 1962. Do you have instructions?

  14. #23764
    Super Member DonnaC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,516
    I would jump on that Singer 503 so FAST - that's my dream machine!!

  15. #23765
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Monica, I am looking at a Singer 15...it has a potted motor, so is it a 15-91? The listing on ISMACS says Gear Driven for a -91. Thanks!!
    Plus this appears to be a blackside 15-91. I'm crossing my fingers I get it...only 35 minutes to go on the auction!! :-)

  16. #23766
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC
    I would jump on that Singer 503 so FAST - that's my dream machine!!
    Yeah, with all the disks... attachments and a really good table. I think I would still look it over to see if everything is in working order - nah - if all else fails a good parts machine is cool to have around.

  17. #23767
    Junior Member justtrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I have a two questions. I am soon to embark on restoring a 1923 Singer Model 66 Treadle Red Eye. The decals are in great shape and naturally I'd like to keep them that way.

    I've reviewed Billy's tute on cleaning and disassembling the machine, and I've reviewed *some* of the 1584 pages of posts here on this thread and elsewhere on QB. In the tute, he basically soaks/scrubs the entire machine in kerosene - including the decals. BUT I seem to recall seeing at least one post, and my husband is also worried, that Kerosend will remove/damage the decals.



    So which is it? Will kerosene ruin the decals??

    Second question is with regard to cleaning the workings of the machine. In Billy's tute he removed everything under the face place, the bobbin winder, the bobbin holder, the tension discs - etc. At no time did I see him remove any of the parts located in the pillar or upper arm (the gear works). So ... can these parts be removed? I'd really like to give them a good scrubbing.

    thanks all. This is my first vintage machine. It's a voyage of discovery for me.

    BTW - Hubby is in charge of restoring/revamping the cabinet which was in poor condition - but the irons all work well which is the important part. We decided that we're going to completely replace the wood top and instead of a drop in table he's going to make a coffin top and recess the machine. He already has the irons all apart and has sand blasted the wheel so far.

    Thanks all
    Sue - proud new owner of a not YET working vintage treadle
    Basically, everyone has his or her own way of doing it. For me it varies according to what I find inside a machine. If you are worried, you can use sewing machine oil to clean the decals. I figure take it apart if you can get it back together. Do a bit at a time. Keep a muffin pan around to collect parts. If you disassemble much you will need to have a service manual handy. So far, on MOST machines, I have given things a good cleaning without taking all that much apart. One machine may need a tension dis-assembly the next maybe not. On another a needle bar may need to be replaced. If it is really gummed up or rusted I can see that you might have to disassemble more or VERY carefully use a stronger solvent. I use an eyelash brush to get in the tight places. Some here recommend putting the machine on a towel or a disposable diaper. Let us see how it turns out!

    Oh Miriam...hellloooo

    I like the muffin tin idea.

    My biggest issue when reassembling is that darn washer behind the handwheel....

    Is there a right way to put the handwheel back on? I can't seem to get the clutch to engage properly on my newly cleaned 191J....

  18. #23768
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    And if you need any disks I have found someone who sells them. Has an awesome inventory of them. :)[/quote]

    Would you share this person with me as I need some disks? Kathie

  19. #23769
    Junior Member justtrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Any thoughts on this one? I called about it - I can't tell a lot from the picture, but I've wanted a toy Singer. What should I be looking for- and what do they go for? Ive seen them go for a lot more on eBay,and that's not counting the shipping. I think it looks like a centennial one.
    http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2593341424.html
    I'd get it if I were there. I have no idea about value in your neck of the woods, but it looks reasonable in mine.

    I'm meeting her at one - unless it looks like there's a big problem I'm going to own a baby Singer!
    You have cool toys can I come over to play?
    Sure - anytime!
    Well, I didn't have any problems - we met in a parking lot at a local shopping plaza. Just mover her MIL to a nursing home and was selling her things. Here are some pictures of my newest machine - good thing it's small, I'm running out of room!
    Cute...

  20. #23770
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by justtrish
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I have a two questions. I am soon to embark on restoring a 1923 Singer Model 66 Treadle Red Eye. The decals are in great shape and naturally I'd like to keep them that way.

    I've reviewed Billy's tute on cleaning and disassembling the machine, and I've reviewed *some* of the 1584 pages of posts here on this thread and elsewhere on QB. In the tute, he basically soaks/scrubs the entire machine in kerosene - including the decals. BUT I seem to recall seeing at least one post, and my husband is also worried, that Kerosend will remove/damage the decals.



    So which is it? Will kerosene ruin the decals??

    Second question is with regard to cleaning the workings of the machine. In Billy's tute he removed everything under the face place, the bobbin winder, the bobbin holder, the tension discs - etc. At no time did I see him remove any of the parts located in the pillar or upper arm (the gear works). So ... can these parts be removed? I'd really like to give them a good scrubbing.

    thanks all. This is my first vintage machine. It's a voyage of discovery for me.

    BTW - Hubby is in charge of restoring/revamping the cabinet which was in poor condition - but the irons all work well which is the important part. We decided that we're going to completely replace the wood top and instead of a drop in table he's going to make a coffin top and recess the machine. He already has the irons all apart and has sand blasted the wheel so far.

    Thanks all
    Sue - proud new owner of a not YET working vintage treadle
    Basically, everyone has his or her own way of doing it. For me it varies according to what I find inside a machine. If you are worried, you can use sewing machine oil to clean the decals. I figure take it apart if you can get it back together. Do a bit at a time. Keep a muffin pan around to collect parts. If you disassemble much you will need to have a service manual handy. So far, on MOST machines, I have given things a good cleaning without taking all that much apart. One machine may need a tension dis-assembly the next maybe not. On another a needle bar may need to be replaced. If it is really gummed up or rusted I can see that you might have to disassemble more or VERY carefully use a stronger solvent. I use an eyelash brush to get in the tight places. Some here recommend putting the machine on a towel or a disposable diaper. Let us see how it turns out!

    Oh Miriam...hellloooo

    I like the muffin tin idea.

    My biggest issue when reassembling is that darn washer behind the handwheel....

    Is there a right way to put the handwheel back on? I can't seem to get the clutch to engage properly on my newly cleaned 191J....
    I don't really know. I do know that sometimes they work. Then sometimes you have to flip things around until they do. A service manual should tell I suppose.

  21. #23771
    Junior Member justtrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    231
    Ok Miriam.. I will now start hunting for a service manual.

    Any excuse to buy another sewing machine related item... ;)

  22. #23772
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by justtrish
    Ok Miriam.. I will now start hunting for a service manual.

    Any excuse to buy another sewing machine related item... ;)
    You might find a free one on line. I think I have posted some before. What machine is it - that 66?

  23. #23773
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by justtrish
    Ok Miriam.. I will now start hunting for a service manual.

    Any excuse to buy another sewing machine related item... ;)
    You might find a free one on line. I think I have posted some before. What machine is it - that 66?
    http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/ you might look on there for something similar. Buried in there is a service manual for a Singer 401 so I bet you could find some info - and it's free. I didn't find anything on a 66 in there. Some of them may have enough info to get you through though.

  24. #23774
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by justtrish
    Ok Miriam.. I will now start hunting for a service manual.

    Any excuse to buy another sewing machine related item... ;)
    Oh Oh OH!!! (Raising Hand and Waving it!!!) I know the answer to the clutch washer question.

    There is only 2 ways it can go on. The little tabs in the middle should always curve outward. Then the washer will sit right in there. Put the clutch wheel on, loosen it and turn the handwheel to see if the needle bar moves. If it does, take off the clutch wheel, take the washer off and turn it 180 deg. Put it back on, and put the clutch wheel back on, loosen the clutch, turn the handwheel. It's a matter of finding the correct way.

  25. #23775
    Junior Member justtrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by justtrish
    Ok Miriam.. I will now start hunting for a service manual.

    Any excuse to buy another sewing machine related item... ;)
    You might find a free one on line. I think I have posted some before. What machine is it - that 66?
    It is a 191J.....

    I will go and check out that link. Thanks Miriam

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.