Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 451 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 351 401 441 450 451 452 461 501 551 951 1451 ... LastLast
Results 11,251 to 11,275 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    I could not get into the Needlebar site? I have always been able to go to Needlebar to see something there, now they are asking for a password. Anyone else have the same problem?

Nancy[/quote]

same here

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cla8655
    I bought this machine like 7 years ago, is this a singer? it says Deluxe precision centennial 027035 am trying to locate where to buy the grey looking part that is broken, any help is appreciated
    I am going to say this is a recent build like in the 1980's to 1990's but is a really pretty one at that!! I know more about the Japanese/India machines but this is a Chinese version and I have know idea as to who made it originally.

The part in question is going to be gleaned off of another machine more than likely. I dont have any parts that come close to that piece laying around.

But do not let that discourage you from using the machine all that it does is let the feed dogs drop and you might can just push the plunger in to lock the feed dogs manually.

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by olebat
    Have any of you had a chance to review the fiddle base I put on page 739? http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-739.htm I know some of the key players in this shoppe have been out lately, but I'm real curious, and surely I don't have the resources that the lot of you have amassed.

This is what I think I have: Domestic, #3, Vibrating Shuttle, Fiddle base treadle machine.

In addition to any information, I am in search of a date. The number stamped under the (missing) shuttle slide is 88703. According to the manual I located and downloaded, it is really a quiltersí dream, for it will do free motion and embroidery. WOW! Of course, none of this will be possible until I locate a shuttle, attachments, and some sharp needles. Currently, everything seems to move nicely. It needs a cursory cleaning, and little more than routine oiling, and ATTACHMENTS. The belt needs to be tightened, but does not appear to be too brittle.

I'm all ears and eyes hoping someone here in the Vintage Shoppe can enlighten me with a dating link. (Preliminary research indicates about 1875) Iím also looking for resource which carries vintage parts. This beastie has consumed a lot of my time and energy this week, with only a few positive results.

I have a bunch of what I consider old machines in my collection, but I'm beginning to more and more appreciate these vintage machines. My husband reminds me that our house isn't big enough to take on another hobby. I just laugh and remind him that this is not another hobby, just an extension of the quilting.

Anyway . . . the machine?
    Dont give up on me yet I have been slammed in the Studio getting several machines out for customers and I am going to get my Domestic today at 3pm. I have the records that will help you date the machine I just have to slow down enough to get to them. But I have 4 repaints to do and I have a few days that are nice enough to paint them in.

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
    I could not get into the Needlebar site? I have always been able to go to Needlebar to see something there, now they are asking for a password. Anyone else have the same problem?

Nancy
    I will try to look surprised :roll: :lol:

Billy

Wow, Billy, you are one busy man. Maybe we should see if the Japanese can clone you so there will be more of you to go around. lol

Blog Entries
    [quote=BoJangles]
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Really pretty Majestic machine! I hope someone gets that machine and uses her!

Nancy
    Now that IS interesting because I was able to get into the site even up to posting this link to the page (I always test before).
    Well, there are two machines with different names on them and they look just like this gorgeous machine that I posted.

I too hope someone who loves vintage machines and USES them will purchase this machine. And if I had the space this machine and treadle would have been mine already and in use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    This is my latest quilt. The piecing was done on my Singer 201K, and the quilting and binding were done on the Davis NVF. Only the decorative stitch, that I used to finish off the binding with, is from a modern machine. The quilting foot (bar) that came with the Davis didn't seem to fit; so, I made my own out of a coat hanger. It fits through the hole in the foot, but I had to tape it in place since it would slide around. My lines aren't the straightest, but that doesn't matter to me.
    Monica that quilt looks great! Your quilting lines look great too! Geeze, girl you have really put your treadles to work! Good for you - that is an inspiration to the rest of us!

Nancy
    That is why I post my photos of my quilts here- to inspire. I want folks to see that you can USE your vintage machines for piecing and quilting.
    These machines are meant to be used.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedwoman
    Wow, Billy, you are one busy man. Maybe we should see if the Japanese can clone you so there will be more of you to go around. lol
    That would be nice, then that way I could still be here and not have to go to the bank and to get my new Domestic treadle!! But then I do love a challenge!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    How about a picture of Miss Ida. Kathie
    Here's where I posted her pic. She's a cutie!! :-)
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-102968-1.htm[/quote]

That is a nice machine. She is very clean. Did you have to clean her up or did she come that way?[/quote]

This is how she came. I do have to clean her up, as she is quite grimey. I just finished another major project last night, so I'm going to have time this weekend to work on her...I am so excited!! :-)

Blog Entries
    Another "oh look" moment for me. I discovered that the ironing board could be situated under the section of the cabinet to help hold the quilt while attaching the binding.
    Wow...great idea!! That would totally work for me, too. Thanks!!

Banned

Nancy
    Now that IS interesting because I was able to get into the site even up to posting this link to the page (I always test before).
    Well, there are two machines with different names on them and they look just like this gorgeous machine that I posted.

I too hope someone who loves vintage machines and USES them will purchase this machine. And if I had the space this machine and treadle would have been mine already and in use.
    Are you posting links to my shop to the NB???

Billy

Blog Entries
    Have any of you had a chance to review the fiddle base I put on page 739? http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-739.htm I know some of the key players in this shoppe have been out lately, but I'm real curious, and surely I don't have the resources that the lot of you have amassed.

This is what I think I have: Domestic, #3, Vibrating Shuttle, Fiddle base treadle machine.

In addition to any information, I am in search of a date. The number stamped under the (missing) shuttle slide is 88703. According to the manual I located and downloaded, it is really a quiltersí dream, for it will do free motion and embroidery. WOW! Of course, none of this will be possible until I locate a shuttle, attachments, and some sharp needles. Currently, everything seems to move nicely. It needs a cursory cleaning, and little more than routine oiling, and ATTACHMENTS. The belt needs to be tightened, but does not appear to be too brittle.

I'm all ears and eyes hoping someone here in the Vintage Shoppe can enlighten me with a dating link. (Preliminary research indicates about 1875) Iím also looking for resource which carries vintage parts. This beastie has consumed a lot of my time and energy this week, with only a few positive results.

I have a bunch of what I consider old machines in my collection, but I'm beginning to more and more appreciate these vintage machines. My husband reminds me that our house isn't big enough to take on another hobby. I just laugh and remind him that this is not another hobby, just an extension of the quilting.

Your Domestic is NICE! Have fun treadling with it when you get it up and running!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51

Nancy

Are you posting links to my shop to the NB???

Billy
    Billy,
    I'm just finding the link off the internet, google search, and posting the find, the link to what I found. I'm not posting any thing to NB. I'm NOT even a member of NB. This business from NB of passing a test of snobbishness to become a member is childish. The more information out there for those like me to learn from then the more one learns and appreciates the finds. As I stated, the machines will out live the owners. So, why not be open for ALL to learn.

Banned
    Billy,
    I'm just finding the link off the internet, google search, and posting the find, the link to what I found. I'm not posting any thing to NB. I'm NOT even a member of NB. This business from NB of passing a test of snobbishness to become a member is childish. The more information out there for those like me to learn from then the more one learns and appreciates the finds. As I stated, the machines will out live the owners. So, why not be open for ALL to learn.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I see you caught the pun in that statement :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with you an that and like we talked about earlier these machines will definitely outlive us if we take good care of them. I was just having fun with you my dear and this is OUR shop anyway!!

Billy

Nancy[/quote]
    I could not get in either. Kathie

my friend has a box of vintage magazines and I decided to scan the ads for sewing machines to share here. Here is a Domestic--from a "Ladies World" 1912.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is a treadle on craigslist.
    Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by BZ quilting
    Can anyone tell me about this machine? Serial # G4919194.
    I know how to get to the singer site but my computer will not let me see the type of machine.

Thanks for any help.
    BZ quilting, you have a Model 15 with a birth date of June 2, 1910.

Is it a treadle or a Hand crank. If it is a HC it is a 15-89, if a treadle 15-88. Or was there a motor added?

That is my favorite machine.

Nancy

WOW, a $1.00 a month I wonder what was the salary back then

Have any of you had a chance to review the fiddle base I put on page 739? http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-739.htm

This particular model of Domestic was produced between the late 1870s to the early 90s. I have a few shuttles here, but as I don't have a Domestic, I don't know what the size and shape should be. Do you know the needle size? My needle book has gone walkabout.

Quote Originally Posted by cla8655

I am just as curious as you are. Is the machine all cast iron with metal gears? Belt driven? Is there plastic anywhere on the machine?

I'd bet Billy knows the answer to about how old your machine is.

Nancy

hi nancy, the machine is all cast iron, and has a little motor on the back but wen I got it , it had a table and because it was damage a little in the back my very very very DH took it apart and thru it away, when I came home from work, it was too late, but it had a belt on the side if I am not mistaken and I have not seen any thing plastic in it
    Well, I have done some research and learned alot, but have come up with a big zero when it comes to your machine. It is a puzzle.

Nancy
    I asked my husband and he says that the original table had the leather belt around the handle and for the feet too. I dont know if this is going to help or not

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.

Nancy
    I could not get in either. Kathie[/quote]

I don't go on NB often but the other day I got an e mail from someone that has a manual for a machine I own. So I went to NB and I already have the user name and password so I didn't have any trouble getting on.

Blog Entries
    Would any of you have a source for the shuttle and front slide access to the bobbin for the Domestic Fiddle Base Treddle?
    We have a machine like yours and it uses a Boye notched top needle #8 and a #7 shuttle. We just saw the needles on e-bay the other day. Somewhere I have a person that sells these items and I will try and find the address. PM me and I will let you know who to get in touch with.

I purchased a featherweight 221-1 and can't get it to sew a single line of stitches. Using 100% cotton thread, I have checked the threading, it's right, put a fresh wound bobbin in the bobbin case, put a singer size 11 needle in, threaded it from right to left, no thread jams in the bobbin area, oiled it today. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Been sewing for years and can't figure out this machine. Sharon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdaviscs
    I purchased a featherweight 221-1 and can't get it to sew a single line of stitches. Using 100% cotton thread, I have checked the threading, it's right, put a fresh wound bobbin in the bobbin case, put a singer size 11 needle in, threaded it from right to left, no thread jams in the bobbin area, oiled it today. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sometimes I forget and put the needle in wrong. You might doublecheck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdaviscs

Sometimes I forget and put the needle in wrong. You might doublecheck.
    Sometimes the thread is too heavy and you will need a size 14 needle that's what I use in all my FW. Like Sharon said make sure the needle is in right. Look at the stitch length lever and see if it is sitting on a number.