Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 453 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 353 403 443 452 453 454 463 503 553 953 1453 ... LastLast
Results 11,301 to 11,325 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    [quote=Pat Heinemann]
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    They also have a antique treadle scroll saw I have seen several but was always a day and a dollar short. Glenn
    I saw one of those treadle scroll saws at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO several years ago. The fellow operating it could sure turn out some pretty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2learn
    Whatever it is, the decals are in beautiful condition. Is it going to come live at your house?
    I would love it to, but they're asking $125 for it, and that's more than I would want to spend, especially since it has no cabinet with it.

Blog Entries
    Could an ORIGINAL singer 15 have had ALL of the following, or could some features have NOT been on the 15?

1. Left (back) tension control knob. (actually on left side of face plate, yes)
    2. Scroll faceplate. (Yes)
    3. Mimimal gold decals on front and bed. . . (not sure which pattern they were, but like filigre or triplets style) (Yes, and Yes)
    4. Silver handwheel, (I THINK it was solid, but not sure if it was solid or spoke). (Yes mine is spoked)
    5. Some part of the stitch regulator very shiny silver, (not sure if it was the plate or the lever/knob on it) (Yes)

Brenda

Oh and the bobbin was not a shuttle it was round and it had a motor and belt and was in a treadle cabinet, which must have been from her original machine which I don't remember.
    And Yes to round bobbin too!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    I just contacted a woman about an old Singer. She said it was from the 50's. She changed it to a Westinghouse5 and than to a New Home type s. I have never heard of a Westinghouse sewing machine. I am sure they were not New Home, unless New Home was not a name but a model. Any feed back? Kathie
    Kathie New Home was originally a manufacturer. Boy, it sounds like this lady doesn't know what she has?

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    I just contacted a woman about an old Singer. She said it was from the 50's. She changed it to a Westinghouse5 and than to a New Home type s. I have never heard of a Westinghouse sewing machine. I am sure they were not New Home, unless New Home was not a name but a model. Any feed back? Kathie
    Kathie New Home was originally a manufacturer. Boy, it sounds like this lady doesn't know what she has?

Nancy
    That is what I thought so I did not call her back.

Blog Entries
    There is a neat Red Eye in a plain cabinet on the Wichita CL for $100 OBO. Looks like the decals are in pretty good shape, missing the slide plate, of course, lol.

I am going to look at a treadle today, it has a 1904 Standard machine. I have tried to find info. about it online, no luck. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

The cabinet has been painted, so it needs to be stripped and refinished whick I think I can handle. But I want to be able to sew on this, so I need to know if bobbins/needles are still available to find. The machine comes with an instruction manual and attachments.

If anyone can give me any info. it would be greatly appreciated!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JaKnits
    I am going to look at a treadle today, it has a 1904 Standard machine. I have tried to find info. about it online, no luck. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

The cabinet has been painted, so it needs to be stripped and refinished whick I think I can handle. But I want to be able to sew on this, so I need to know if bobbins/needles are still available to find. The machine comes with an instruction manual and attachments.

If anyone can give me any info. it would be greatly appreciated!
    I would have to look at the machine to see what model it is and all but if I had the chance at getting it I would. But I really like the early non Singers. It will more than likely be a special needle like a 20x1 but you can fudge a regular needle and get it to work. But all of this is just speculation because we havent sen it yet.

Go get it and post photos!!

Billy

Thanks for replying so quickly! The seller only wants $35.00 for it so I am picking it up this afternoon and then will post photos. I have always wanted a treadle, so I can't wait to go get it!! :-D

Blog Entries
    I had no problem getting into Needlebar just now (had to try it after reading here that people were not getting through). I was asked to login with my login name and password, but it went straight through.

Could it be that people here have forgotten what they logged in with originally?

I have such a poor memory, that whenever I join a new group, I write down the details.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I had no problem getting into Needlebar just now (had to try it after reading here that people were not getting through). I was asked to login with my login name and password, but it went straight through.

Could it be that people here have forgotten what they logged in with originally?
    Lacelady, that is the whole point. It use to be that anyone could go to a Needlebar site to see something without having a password. I have never been a member, but I could go to Needlebar and view any information I wanted -- I have lots of things in Needlebar marked in my favorites so I could go directly to that information, all of a sudden I need to be a registered member. It appears that Needlebar has closed to open viewing -- you have to be a member to get in.
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JaKnits
    Thanks for replying so quickly! The seller only wants $35.00 for it so I am picking it up this afternoon and then will post photos. I have always wanted a treadle, so I can't wait to go get it!! :-D
    For $35, I'd sure pick it up. You can learn a lot fixing these much abused cabinets and machines.

Blog Entries
    Kathie, I have been checking and it looks like New Home and Westinghouse were synonymous with sewing machines. The New Home feet/manual also work for the Westinghouse - so I am wondering if the Westinghouse sewing machine is a badged New Home? New Home sold out to Brother sometime early/mid 1900's. Anyway, Westinghouse is a sewing machine somehow related to the New Home so this lady is partially right, but not a Singer for sure. Singer never badged machines.

Nancy

Nancy,

You are so great at helping me through this learning process. That has been my dream machine to find. . . since I met you folks and realized it may be possible to still find these old girls. My heart aches to find one . . . and now that I know it is possible. . . I am filled with hope!! If I never get another antique machine but can find her, I will be most happy!!! I will beg, borrow, but not steal to get her.

Thank you so much again for your time to help! Brenda

Blog Entries
    I got her!! My borrowed Singer 15-91!!! She is beeeauuuuutiful! In very good condition with a pretty Queen Anne cabinet. Picked her up from my friend yesterday. Haven't had time yet to get her situated in the sewing room so she is still sitting in my entryway. Just had to plug her in and take a few stitches though! lol. Can't wait til this weekend when I can get her all set up. She will be my FMQ go-to machine. Once I learn to FMQ that is lol. I'll post pictures of her this weekend, along with my other 2 "old girls".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    I got her!! My borrowed Singer 15-91!!! She is beeeauuuuutiful! In very good condition with a pretty Queen Anne cabinet. Picked her up from my friend yesterday. Haven't had time yet to get her situated in the sewing room so she is still sitting in my entryway. Just had to plug her in and take a few stitches though! lol. Can't wait til this weekend when I can get her all set up. She will be my FMQ go-to machine. Once I learn to FMQ that is lol. I'll post pictures of her this weekend, along with my other 2 "old girls".
    Congrats! Your will love this machine for FMQ.

Nancy,

You are so great at helping me through this learning process. That has been my dream machine to find. . . since I met you folks and realized it may be possible to still find these old girls. My heart aches to find one . . . and now that I know it is possible. . . I am filled with hope!! If I never get another antique machine but can find her, I will be most happy!!! I will beg, borrow, but not steal to get her.

Thank you so much again for your time to help! Brenda
    Isn't Nancy wonderful. She always goes that extra mile for us. She is definitely a keeper. I am so lucky as I get to sew with her once a month. Kathie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    I got my 301a long bed black machine in a case tonight. The case is very very musty (banned from inside the house temporarily) but in great shape otherwise. No manual or acc., but I do have some extra acc. that can be dug up. Now to find an original manual. Will post pics tomorrow.
    Here is Erma! The case is out sunning and Erma has had her beauty treatment and moisturizing bath. Anyone have an original manual?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    Quote Originally Posted by olebat
    Have any of you had a chance to review the fiddle base I put on page 739? http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-739.htm

This is what I think I have: Domestic, #3, Vibrating Shuttle, Fiddle base treadle machine.

In addition to any information, I am in search of a date. The number stamped under the (missing) shuttle slide is 88703. According to the manual I located and downloaded, it is really a quiltersí dream, for it will do free motion and embroidery. WOW! Of course, none of this will be possible until I locate a shuttle, attachments, and some sharp needles. Currently, everything seems to move nicely. It needs a cursory cleaning, and little more than routine oiling, and ATTACHMENTS. The belt needs to be tightened, but does not appear to be too brittle.

I'm all ears and eyes hoping someone here in the Vintage Shoppe can enlighten me with a dating link. (Preliminary research indicates about 1875) Iím also looking for resource which carries vintage parts. This beastie has consumed a lot of my time and energy this week, with only a few positive results.

I have a bunch of what I consider old machines in my collection, but I'm beginning to more and more appreciate these vintage machines. My husband reminds me that our house isn't big enough to take on another hobby. I just laugh and remind him that this is not another hobby, just an extension of the quilting.

Anyway . . . the machine?
    This particular model of Domestic was produced between the late 1870s to the early 90s. I have a few shuttles here, but as I don't have a Domestic, I don't know what the size and shape should be. Do you know the needle size? My needle book has gone walkabout.
    OK, I asked a friend who has some old Domestics, and she said the modern needle number that might fit this machine is 16x99. She bought the needles, but has not tried it out as of yet. This is what she told me:

Now understand I've not tried it myself. But on needlebar Chrys Gunther said that all measurements were almost exactly correct. Only diff is that it is missing the high part of the notch. Since without a notch it will only fit so far up anyway it should work just fine. Sounded good enuf to convince me.

Hope it works for you!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady

Lacelady, that is the whole point. It use to be that anyone could go to a Needlebar site to see something without having a password. I have never been a member, but I could go to Needlebar and view any information I wanted -- I have lots of things in Needlebar marked in my favorites so I could go directly to that information, all of a sudden I need to be a registered member. It appears that Needlebar has closed to open viewing -- you have to be a member to get in.
    Nancy
    I'm NOT a member of NB, but I was able to get to the photo section of the machines. I was researching Majestic sewing machines and using google images to find a match. In my searching, I found my way onto NB site on the photos of National machines, the Vindex.

This was very helpful since I was able to learn about the Vindex and the machine I was researching. I discovered that the Majestic is a badge machine. If the site had been closed, like it is now, I would not have learned this bit of information.

I got my 301a long bed black machine in a case tonight. The case is very very musty (banned from inside the house temporarily) but in great shape otherwise. No manual or acc., but I do have some extra acc. that can be dug up. Now to find an original manual. Will post pics tomorrow.
    Here is Erma! The case is out sunning and Erma has had her beauty treatment and moisturizing bath. Anyone have an original manual?
    Tommie, Erma is a beautiful machine. Enjoy her. Kathie

Blog Entries
    Very nice machine! Congrats on giving Erma a new home.

[Here is Erma! The case is out sunning and Erma has had her beauty treatment and moisturizing bath. Anyone have an original manual?[/quote]

Tomuli, just love your machine. Love your description for her cleanup. Much better than just 'I washed her up'.

Blog Entries
    Tomilu, if you only want a printed from the 'net manual, I found one online. Let me know and I'll find the site. It was a common one.

Your black is prettier than my tan, but AnnieRose sews very nicely so she's a keeper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Tomilu, if you only want a printed from the 'net manual, I found one online. Let me know and I'll find the site. It was a common one.

Your black is prettier than my tan, but AnnieRose sews very nicely so she's a keeper.
    Would that site possibly have one for my 15-91?