Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 443 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 343 393 433 442 443 444 453 493 543 943 1443 ... LastLast
Results 11,051 to 11,075 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    A 66-18 is a backtack model but do like I do and when you get to the end of the run with the needle up I lift the presserfoot and push the material back a 1/2" and sew back over the previous stitch.

Billy
    That is what I do!

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by deema
    Hey Billy! No questions, just wanted to share my new baby with you. Thanks to your cleaning tutorial, I felt confident in taking her apart for a thorough cleaning during which I was able to solve a loose/skipped stitch problem by finding some threads wrapped in the bobbin case base! Now she sews like a dream and purrs like a content, clean, oiled little kitten. ;) So thank you for all of the tute's you've done! I never would have been so brave without them!
    Beautiful Featherweight! By that face plate, you have one of the very oldest!

Nancy
    Not terribly old - 1946 based on the serial number. Older than me by almost 40 years, though! lol I can't recall when they started production of these...early-mid 30's, wasn't it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Miz Johnny or Purplefiend, or anyone else who can be of help,

Who made the Majestic sewing machine? New Home or National?
    And is New Home just a National?

Here is one on CLs: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/for/2236104979.html

I googled Majestic and some of the cabinets are very pretty, but the machines look older than this one on CLs.
    Cooper lists Majestic as being made by New Home. My granddaughter is asleep in the sewing room (where my reference books are), so can't check to see if there are others who made a Majestic.
    New Home and National were two separate companies.
    According to the White site, Majestic was also one of the badged White machines.

Nancy

Blog Entries

Nancy

Not terribly old - 1946 based on the serial number. Older than me by almost 40 years, though! lol I can't recall when they started production of these...early-mid 30's, wasn't it?
    The first FW was introduced at the World's Fair in 1933. Only the very old ones have that face plate. The newer ones have the face plate with straight lines, or like the white and beige ones that were painted.

Nancy

Blog Entries

Nancy

The first FW was introduced at the World's Fair in 1933. Only the very old ones have that face plate. The newer ones have the face plate with straight lines, or like the white and beige ones that were painted.

Nancy
    Sometimes face plates on newer FW's got changed out to the older face plates. In fact I had a guy at a sewing repair shop offer to do that for me with mine. I said no thanks...like to stay original.

Blog Entries

I googled Majestic and some of the cabinets are very pretty, but the machines look older than this one on CLs.
    Cooper lists Majestic as being made by New Home. My granddaughter is asleep in the sewing room (where my reference books are), so can't check to see if there are others who made a Majestic.
    I thought so, but then I read this article and was surprised with what I read which made me question if the machines were the same.

http://www.ismacs.net/newhome/the_me...a_history.html

The newly-formed new Home Sewing Machine Company started to produce models known as "Octagon" and "New Home" and three years later came out with the "National" and the "Favorite".

The production of the National was confined to the second floor, the rotary to the third floor, and the New Home on the top floor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Sometimes face plates on newer FW's got changed out to the older face plates. In fact I had a guy at a sewing repair shop offer to do that for me with mine. I said no thanks...like to stay original.
    QuiltnCowgirl, is that your horse? Nice looking horse!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    [quote=BoJangles]

I know, you are going to say our forequilter's did it without reverse! I can stitch in place by holding the fabric back or turning the stitch down to a tiny stitch in place! LOL!~ And you are right of course! Well, I haven't made an offer on the 15-90 - so, I am obviously thinking along the same lines!

Nancy
    Cute! You read my mind! The machine you are questioning doesn't have a treadle. Wouldn't you want one with a treadle? Seems to me it would be more work switching the heads out then changing the foot. Or are you looking for a treadle too?

tbp

Hi, I've been lurking for months. I recently acquired a Kenmore Stylist 86. I believe it was manufactured between 1959 and 1962. I've haven't tried playing with it yet. I would like to make sure it is properly cleaned and oiled. There is a label that tells me to put 1-3 drops of oil every 6 month at the 2 red dots on the motor. Would this be sewing machine oil?
    If the machine hasn't been used in years what else should I be concerned about? Hopefully the picture will attach. Any information about this machine would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I do have to say that this white FW is nice, but it is the box that so sweet.
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/app/2236559741.html

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=denise d]
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Quote Originally Posted by denise d
    Quote Originally Posted by denise d
    Help, clearly my internet search skills are lacking.
    Since it is a new belt... I figured I will let it sit for a week or so and see if it stretches.
    quote]

The more you use the treadle you will find you may need to shorten it several times. Yes, it will stretch some more. Hang in there, girl. You will be victorious!!! :lol:
    Thanks... I am guessing that it may take a few days, weeks, months years...LOL but hey... no sense in being good at everything when you first start.;-)

Less than a year sewing, 2nd week owning a treadle... guess I should slow down and enjoy the process. :banghead:
    Cool! only sewing less than a year and you got yourself a treadle!
    To start treadling, you help the machine along by turning the hand wheel ( kind of like a push). It takes some time getting use to that and each machine acts differently. Some machines work smoothly and others gallop along. You can always loosen the wheel and just treadle without sewing for awhile to help stretch the belt.
    Funny, that was what I have been trying. More using it as a hand crank, to figure out how my feet are supposed to move. I did also try removing the belt and treadling it, that worked fine, I think the extra tension messes me up a bit. ;)

I thought so, but then I read this article and was surprised with what I read which made me question if the machines were the same.

http://www.ismacs.net/newhome/the_me...a_history.html

The newly-formed new Home Sewing Machine Company started to produce models known as "Octagon" and "New Home" and three years later came out with the "National" and the "Favorite".

The production of the National was confined to the second floor, the rotary to the third floor, and the New Home on the top floor.
    That's the National by New Home Sewing Machine Company, rather than the National from the National Sewing Machine Co. I have a "New National" (or two) made by New Home. (Confusing, right??)

Blog Entries
    [quote=Miz Johnny][quote=vintagemotif][quote=Miz Johnny]

That's the National by New Home Sewing Machine Company, rather than the National from the National Sewing Machine Co. I have a "New National" (or two) made by New Home. (Confusing, right??)
    Interesting!
    What do they look like?

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=Miz Johnny][quote=vintagemotif]

Interesting!
    What do they look like?
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...55457783iiteXW

Blog Entries
    [quote=Miz Johnny][quote=vintagemotif][quote=Miz Johnny]

Interesting!
    What do they look like?
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...55457783iiteXW
    Thank you! That is a sweet machine!

Blog Entries
    [Quote Nancy]
    Jane, I wonder how the emblem came up missing? A great book for all featherweight owners is "Freatherweight 221 The Perfect Portable and Its Sitches Across History by Nancy Johnson-Srebro. She gives you some history and all the maintenance information you will need - a really good book to own if you have a FW.

HI, I was wondering how the emblem is missing, too, the spot where it should be is there, I can see the outline. Hmmmm. Are these machines easy to time? Just wondering, cuz the owner said it isn't making stitches although motor & neeedlebar are moving. She thought timing was off. Is it something I can do myself?
    Thanks,
    Jane

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tbp
    Hi, I've been lurking for months. I recently acquired a Kenmore Stylist 86. I believe it was manufactured between 1959 and 1962. I've haven't tried playing with it yet. I would like to make sure it is properly cleaned and oiled. There is a label that tells me to put 1-3 drops of oil every 6 month at the 2 red dots on the motor. Would this be sewing machine oil?
    If the machine hasn't been used in years what else should I be concerned about? Hopefully the picture will attach. Any information about this machine would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Oh she is a beauty!!! Yes use sewing machine oil but only one drop per red dot and only once a year. Other than that you can put a few drops every week or so if you use it regularly for the rest of the machine. What are the numbers on the machine ie 148.xxx, 158.xxx? I can date it for you and tell you who manufactured it for Sears.

Billy

Blog Entries
    I do have to say that this white FW is nice, but it is the box that so sweet.
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/app/2236559741.html
    Monica, it would be nice if people actually knew what they were talking about. Most of this ad is a bunch of malarkey. My white FW is a 1964 model. Plus they are all wrong about black and white being the only colors. Geeze! People!

Anyway, that is the case I have, and all the white FW's I have seen come in that case.

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tbp
    Nice Kenmore -- I like the two tone look!

Nancy

Blog Entries

Nancy
    Thank you! That's my old guy, Dusty. 28 & still doing pretty darn good. I keep him at my friend's Thoroughbred farm, where he currently is playing "Grandpa" to the yearling fillies.

Blog Entries
    Cute! You read my mind! The machine you are questioning doesn't have a treadle. Wouldn't you want one with a treadle? Seems to me it would be more work switching the heads out then changing the foot. Or are you looking for a treadle too?
    Yes, I would need a treadle to put the 15-90 in (if I buy it - I told the guy if he doesn't sell it in a couple weeks, I'd make him an offer), but I have two treadles sitting in the garage waiting to be refinished. I am switching out the heads on my 127 and 66 while the cabinet for the 66 gets cleaned up. I really am not looking for a treadle too, but would not turn down a 15-88 in a treadle if I find another one or the 66 with reverse Billy was talking about for a treadle..

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Wow! What a beautiful machine!

Nancy

Blog Entries

Now that treadle, I'd definitely buy for that price! How pretty!

Nancy

Blog Entries

Nancy
    Thank you! That's my old guy, Dusty. 28 & still doing pretty darn good. I keep him at my friend's Thoroughbred farm, where he currently is playing "Grandpa" to the yearling fillies.
    Wow, he's getting up there! He looks good for his age. I also have two old guys. They will be 29 in April. I tell them they better be careful as they are both on a banana peel!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneK
    HI, I was wondering how the emblem is missing, too, the spot where it should be is there, I can see the outline. Hmmmm. Are these machines easy to time? Just wondering, cuz the owner said it isn't making stitches although motor & neeedlebar are moving. She thought timing was off. Is it something I can do myself?
    Thanks,
    Jane
    Billy you need to address this. I have never heard of a timing problem with a FW. I bet it is just gunk or thread or lint or all 3 caught where it shouldn't be. It probably just needs to be cleaned up and oiled and maybe have the tension adjusted.

Nancy