Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 543 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 43 443 493 533 542 543 544 553 593 643 1043 1543 ... LastLast
Results 13,551 to 13,575 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    I am on page 50 and I plan on reading all of the pages :). Of course, now i have to keep up with this end too!

Banned
    Good morning Shop!!!

Yes you OSMG is in the house this morning pretty early. I feel a little better but I forgot to do the vicks on my feet thing. But I had some really weird dreams though........... must be the antibiotics. :-P

I never knew sewing machines could dance.......

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    I am on page 50 and I plan on reading all of the pages :). Of course, now i have to keep up with this end too!
    I know its like burning the candle at both ends LOL, you want to catch up but do not want to miss what is going on at the same time.

Billy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    I have read all the pages but I'm anal/compulsive/what have you that way and this shop is my escape from reality. :) Also, as a result of being on here, I have acquired approximately 11 vintage machines.
    I've not read all the pages. I had this addiction a few years back and then when I had to move due to circumstances from OK to NM from 2300 sq ft to 630 sq ft, sold almost all of my machines. Did lose all my treadles.
    Then I moved to KS last May and a few months later found this site. The addiction resurfaced! Now I have 7 or so treadles, a few others and 8 on the back covered patio awaiting their turn for a new life, three in the house looking for new homes and have not gone to a yard or estate sale in a week. And my Gammill is in the living room. But none in the bathroom!!! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Okay since I cant do anything but play on my laptop and Cell Phone I have been looking around for sewing machines and I am working a deal on a couple of them and this is one of them. I should have it tomorrow evening when my friend is able to go get it for me.

This one is a very early machine......like around the 1840's

Billy
    Billy awesome looking machine! Take better pictures for us when you get it home please!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Well, here is what happens to the bottom case of a 1917 Western Electric machine when it is not packed well enough for shipping. Luckily it's almost all just come apart at the seams, but there is some split wood too.

DH was able to fix it by glue and long clamps over night. I can't wait to get the machine back in her bed to try her out. She was used every day by her previous owner, and I have been told she is a real hummer!! :-) Wish me luck!!
    Jljack, your husband did a great job fixing that case! Great looking machine!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Then I moved to KS last May and a few months later found this site. The addiction resurfaced! Now I have 7 or so treadles, a few others and 8 on the back covered patio awaiting their turn for a new life, three in the house looking for new homes and have not gone to a yard or estate sale in a week. And my Gammill is in the living room. But none in the bathroom!!! :lol:
    Tommie, are machines still appearing on your doorstep? Did you get the last couple with all the roach droppings cleaned up yet?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    [quote=BoJanglesTommie, are machines still appearing on your doorstep? Did you get the last couple with all the roach droppings cleaned up yet?

Nancy[/quote]
    Yes, still getting machines. I had a lady bring me 3 last week; one is a plastic singer with broken gears-parts machine. I didn't have the roach droppings, but some are pretty dirty. Still need to get some ready to give to local schools.

Oh sewing machines are so addictive its not even funny.Heck I am in bed sick as a dog and I bought 2 of them tonite. :mrgreen: I picked up the real early one and another Domestic from the 1870's.

So what does that tell you about collecting them....... :-P

Billy
    I think buying machines is part of the healing process, at least we can say it is. lol

Blog Entries
    Hey Billy did you see this listing? I wish I had the money and the room, I'd make an offer.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/atq/2302413107.html

Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    Quote Originally Posted by olebat

They haven't seen the pristine Taiwanese clone yet. I'm sure it'll get their attention. I do want to put it in a table. I'd still like some feed back on applying decals to the unadorned. I wouldn't want to impersonate a special model, but perhaps some motorcycle flames or garden flowers. .
    If a machine has no particular historic value (i.e., relatively modern and lots of them), decorate away!! I have a GF who uses decals on her Class 15 Japanese machines, and they look great. I always mean to do that, but never actually get around to it. Just one of the many things. . . . I also have a 99 that has tole painted roses on it. It caused quite a stir when it appeared on Ebay back ten years ago or so, with the purists being very upset. It's a common 99, so I wasn't upset. I bought it, and it is on display in my non-sewing room. She gets many compliments.
    I'm so glad to hear someone else is decaling their machines. I've been playing with the idea of making some for Elvira (my stripped 66) I bought waterslide decall paper and have been playing with an art program so I think I may be brave enough to get some made for her so she won't have to be 'naked' anymore.

Blog Entries
    Does the 301 take a bobbin I can buy in the store or do I need to order them off the internet? They are so darned skinny!

And i LOVE to sew with this little beauty :). She is so fast!

As of 4.6.11 at 11:08 A.M. I have read every page! Not bad for only being a member several weeks! Of course, my house is a disaster!
    Love the machines...before and after!
    Jan

Hi everyone, I am in the process of fixing up an older Dressmanker S 9000 AAB. I am missing the embroidery cams and can't seem to find any on ebay or google search. Is there any hope for me??

Blog Entries
    Hey Billy did you see this listing? I wish I had the money and the room, I'd make an offer.

Oh be still my heart!!! Wow....what a deal to get 3 at once!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sammygirlqt
    Lostn51, the decals on my 1904 treadle are cracking and very delicate. Is there anything that will give them protection?
    That's a beautiful machine sammygirlqt. Those decals are in wonderful shape!!

Oh be still my heart!!! Wow....what a deal to get 3 at once!
    OMG That is such a deal! I think I feel faint LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Well, here is what happens to the bottom case of a 1917 Western Electric machine when it is not packed well enough for shipping. Luckily it's almost all just come apart at the seams, but there is some split wood too.

DH was able to fix it by glue and long clamps over night. I can't wait to get the machine back in her bed to try her out. She was used every day by her previous owner, and I have been told she is a real hummer!! :-) Wish me luck!!
    Oh my, the Western Electric is just awesome! What a cool looking machine!
    Thanks, sewbiz...I love your lotus (right?) decal machine too.

Blog Entries
    Does the 301 take a bobbin I can buy in the store or do I need to order them off the internet? They are so darned skinny!

jtapp I bought mine online and they work perfectly!! I am not sure you could buy them in a brick & mortar....I haven't looked, but I work full time and don't have a lot of time to shop around. They are plentiful and relatively inexpensive online.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneK
    Hi fellow vintage lovers. I recall somewhere around pages 893-895, Nancy and Fabric Whisperer were discussing their "willy " machines and cabinets, and BTW Nancy, your refinished cabinet is spectacular! But I digress..there was some mention of finding a wilcox to go with Fabric Whisperer's cabinet, and in my CL travels, I found one...check out the listing in Fond Du Lac Wisconsin:

[email protected]

looks pretty! and they list it as a toy machine!
    Jane
    I tried the link and it wouldnt work for me but I did find this........

http://duluth.craigslist.org/art/2247452037.html

This is an awesome price!!!

Billy
    Would that work on my Singer 403 Slant-O-Matic?

Blog Entries

OMGosh! What a deal! If only...

Blog Entries

jtapp I bought mine online and they work perfectly!! I am not sure you could buy them in a brick & mortar....I haven't looked, but I work full time and don't have a lot of time to shop around. They are plentiful and relatively inexpensive online.
    Thanks! Guess I will just order some, probably would be quicker than searching around town. I spent a day and a ton of gas looking for the grease and nobody had any. Ordered it LATE Sunday night and it and my new feet/parts arrive today! :)

I buy mine here, 10 for $3.99: (oops, I see they're $4.39 now)

http://shop.sew-classic.com/Bobbins-...-SCBN45785.htm

She does offer quantity discount, too.

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a Singer 301a from FL that has some rust here and there, including a little on the feed dogs. The machine sews pretty good, but when I went to lower the feed dogs to try out FMQ, I couldn't get the thumbscrew (to the left of the bobbin case) to turn away from me with a screwdriver as the manual says to do.

Can anyone tell me the correct way to free up the thumbscrew and if there's anything I can do to clean the rust off the feed dogs?

I've attached two pics to show you just what I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance,

How to clean/oil the feed dog area?
    Name:  Attachment-180338.jpe
Views: 82
Size:  22.0 KB

I'm trying to turn the big black thumb screw to the left to drop the feed dogs, but it won't budge. What to do?
    Name:  Attachment-180346.jpe
Views: 89
Size:  31.7 KB

jtapp9, If I lived closer those machines would be on the way home with me!