Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 43 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 93 143 543 1043 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Here is my 1895 Singer Model 28K with a coffin top.
    Hubby bought me this for our anniversary last year.

I have named her Victoria
    Name:  Attachment-69461.jpe
Views: 148
Size:  54.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow. That is an incredibly gorgeous machine. What a lucky girl

Deara - what a beautiful machine. Must have a great DH!

WOW what a beauty!!

Okay, I want to think about sewing on my treadle when it goes back together, and hopefully works. I have a box of vintage blocks from ebay that I want to make into quilts. I have seen it claimed that people can tell when the stitching was done on treadle machine. Is that true? How can you tell?

I would love to have a sew in. That is a great idea. I may have to use a younger machine. Although, what is the cut off. I purchased my machine in the late 70's. So not quite vintage. I will have to get Robin (blue Singer 337) going.

Gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict
    Deara - what a beautiful machine. Must have a great DH!
    Thank you and I am blessed with a wonderful husband, who shares my love for vintage machines.

Blog Entries
    Okay, I want to think about sewing on my treadle when it goes back together, and hopefully works. I have a box of vintage blocks from ebay that I want to make into quilts. I have seen it claimed that people can tell when the stitching was done on treadle machine. Is that true? How can you tell?

I would love to have a sew in. That is a great idea. I may have to use a younger machine. Although, what is the cut off. I purchased my machine in the late 70's. So not quite vintage. I will have to get Robin (blue Singer 337) going.
    Unless the treadle is a chainstitch machine, and there's no guarentee that a chainstitch IS a treadle (they made e-chainers too) there's no way to tell the difference in the stitching...

Blog Entries
    Deara...that handcrank is AWESOME!!

I SO want one of those....someday...

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by no1jan
    I haven't decided yet. I would probably need help talking me through it. 8-) :wink:

It really depends how much work it needs. Besides what would I do with the rest of it?

I love my redhead, and definitely want all the attachments for it. Is it difficult to convert. Remember I broke an indestructible bobbin winder! :) :) :)
    You would just swap the presserfoot bars out and you can still use both of the machines. I was looking at the decals on the machine and they look worn that why I said I would swap presserfoot bars out on it. You can still clean it up and use it like you stole it and not have to worry about hurting the decals of your other machine.

Billy
    I talked with the woman today, and I can pick it up tomorrow instead of next week. I will probably do as you say about the presserfoot bar. I do love my Redhead "Smitty".

Deara...that is one beautiful machine! You are one lucky lady!

Banned
    I love the 28 and the condition is remarkable!! How doe you guys keep coming up with these machines I will never know.

Thank you for the photos and who was suppose to be making the quilted bibs?!?

Billy

Blog Entries
    Ouch! Keep us posted. I say this with a smile... please don't ask next time; BUY it! LOL You might still have been 3rd in line though. You can't beat the asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    I know I wasn't supposed to be looking at CL this week. But look what I found. It seems like such a good deal. I have never seen a machine like this before.

What to do :?: :?: :?:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/fuo/1746391045.html
    OH

Please hurry and buy it! The machine is just like the one I brought home from CL but the cabinet is to die for! And the price, please tell me you will buy it. :?:
    I'm trying but am 3rd in line. I may know tomorrow if one of the other two don't buy it. Can't imagine that happening.
    :shock:

:|

Blog Entries
    WoW! Deara I LOVE your 1895 Singer Model 28K with a coffin top. Exquisite, especially the decals. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I am loving all of these machines. I thought I would share some pictures of my two Davis machines. (At least the Marathon is a David, believe the Loeser is too) I have not attempted to clean or do anything with these machines. I am waiting for Billy's tutes lol
    Hugs
    April

My first Davis a Marathon 3 with tree of life coffin case
    Name:  Attachment-69699.jpe
Views: 178
Size:  43.8 KB

Marathon
    Name:  Attachment-69700.jpe
Views: 166
Size:  55.2 KB

Marathon
    Name:  Attachment-69701.jpe
Views: 162
Size:  55.7 KB

Marathon
    Name:  Attachment-69702.jpe
Views: 165
Size:  50.5 KB

Marathon
    Name:  Attachment-69703.jpe
Views: 171
Size:  54.5 KB

Loeser
    Name:  Attachment-69704.jpe
Views: 199
Size:  73.0 KB

Loeser
    Name:  Attachment-69705.jpe
Views: 171
Size:  59.0 KB

Loeser
    Name:  Attachment-69706.jpe
Views: 179
Size:  75.2 KB

Blog Entries
    :shock: :shock: :shock: Oh my... April, those are beautiful. I am running out of great adjectives to describe what I am seeing of the photos posted on here. WoW! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can't remember who was going to make those bibs but he/she better hurry up and get them done. Maybe fancy toothpicks for holding my eyes open too. :shock: :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: Oh my... April, those are beautiful. I am running out of great adjectives to describe what I am seeing of the photos posted on here. WoW! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can't remember who was going to make those bibs but he/she better hurry up and get them done. Maybe fancy toothpicks for holding my eyes open too. :shock: :shock:
    Thanks Linda,
    The best part is what I paid for them-$10 for the Marathon and $40 for the Loeser. I am going to get them all cleaned up and proudly displayed as soon as I have enough confidence in myself lol
    Hugs
    April

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LovingIzabella

Thanks Linda,
    The best part is what I paid for them-$10 for the Marathon and $40 for the Loeser. I am going to get them all cleaned up and proudly displayed as soon as I have enough confidence in myself lol
    Hugs
    April
    Oh for the love of Pete!! Ill double your money right now!!!!!

I love the "Tree of Life" design on the first case, definitely a Davis machine. I am like Linda I am running out of adjectives to describe what I am seeing. And where are those bibs!!!

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I love the 28 and the condition is remarkable!! How doe you guys keep coming up with these machines I will never know.

Thank you for the photos and who was suppose to be making the quilted bibs?!?

Billy
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

(wiping drool)I'll be at my Dad's this week will see what I can come up with for the drool bibs....lol!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    (wiping drool)I'll be at my Dad's this week will see what I can come up with for the drool bibs....lol!
    Good we could use a few here!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy

Blog Entries
    Billy, I am in the process of getting all the "ingredients" on your list. I have been everywhere trying to find Kerosene only to learn it is available only in the winter for heaters. I went to a small hardware store and they suggested mineral spirits as a substitute. Will this work?? Next, the Scotts pourable...all I get is "never heard of it". Customer service around here is zilch! Lastly, the grease. I found the Tri Flow oil but not the grease for the gears. There again, all I get is a look that says "Lady, you don't know what you're doing or what you're looking for". I've been to hardware stores, auto parts stores and Walmart. My son suggested a bicycle shop. I found one and they said they use a clear grease on the gears of all their high performance bikes. I also found a white lithium grease in a tube which is used for gears, at least it had a picture of gears on the packaging.

So...can you help?? I am so looking forward to this. I have already printed the first installment and put it in a binder for future reference. Thank you so much for taking the time to help us all out!!

Blog Entries
    Good morning! I haven't made an offer on this yet and also don't know model number, etc. What do you think?

Asking price is $125

Goodrich Model "A" Treadle
    Name:  Attachment-69935.jpe
Views: 614
Size:  8.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Okay, it's my turn to drool.... love it, SewExtreme!! Just the cabinet alone and I would be happy.

SewExtreme
    Love that cabinet! I am not sure of the price as I just got in to collecting these beauties...see what Billy thinks :-)
    Hugs
    April

Page 43 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 93 143 543 1043 ... LastLast