Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 53 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 3 43 52 53 54 63 103 153 553 1053 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts
    Well Billy it looks like your trip so far is out west but if you are in the south side of Atlanta GA area you are more than welcome to crash here . As long as you don't mind animals
    Yep its going to be an out west trip for me but there is always a chance of me buying something in that area so you never know when I will be calling!!!

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Don't suppose you're coming as far north as Oregon?
    Ill be through your neck of the woods Charlee I can promise you that!!!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    Thanks Charlee for the info, I just forgot to note the site in my favorites, :mrgreen: Glenn

Banned
    Sounds like you have a great score there Glenn!! Be sure to post some photos of it so we all can relish in your victorious shopping!!!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    Billy I will post pics when I clean it up a bit. The 221 was sitting in the corner of the shop almost hidden behind some small end tables collecting dirt. The carrying case was beyond repair but machine just purred when I plug it in to see if the motor was good. Just dirty from sitting around in the shop. I am doing the karosene thing now. Glenn
    PS I now have a machine to take camping to piece quilts, Don't tell my wife!! :oops: They wanted $50 but I said it needed to much work and I gave them $30.

Blog Entries
    If you come to OK. near exit 200, its Close to me, you are
    more than Welcome to come and crash here. I have one dog
    and he is spoiled.Exit 200 is hiway 99 and I-40. There's several
    things there.

Marilyn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Don't suppose you're coming as far north as Oregon?
    Ill be through your neck of the woods Charlee I can promise you that!!!!

Billy
    WOOHOO!! :lol:

I live near Dallas-Fort Worth. You're welcome to crash here if you come this way.

Ok, call me impatient........had to take a picture with my phone. Will try to get a better one with my digital next time...lol. Wondering how long this is going to take to load on dial up.

Name:  Attachment-72487.jpe
Views: 99
Size:  22.5 KB

Blog Entries
    How sweet is that IFW? Where'd ya get it?

I have the "Instructions for using Singer Sewing Machine No. 127-3, Vibrating Shuttle for Family Use" A green paper pamphlet type booklet with the big familiar red "S" in the middle. Has the date of 1912 at the lower middle of the cover. I thought it was earlier then 1912 but then, I had never actually looked. This is the first time I've ever opened the booklet. When I went to get it, I noticed that the accessory box was there, and all the accessories were in the bottom drawer, loose, and looks like they need to be all polished up - there is even extra needles and a new belt for the machine. It also has little wheels on the four feet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    Ok, call me impatient........had to take a picture with my phone. Will try to get a better one with my digital next time...lol. Wondering how long this is going to take to load on dial up.
    LOL Impatient!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like it and the funny thing is I saw one somewhere on CL today for $100 in a cabinet. As soon as I saw it I thought of you and darned if I forgot where it was. I really like the machine and I think you will love it!!

And your photography is wonderful!!

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerella
    I have the "Instructions for using Singer Sewing Machine No. 127-3, Vibrating Shuttle for Family Use" A green paper pamphlet type booklet with the big familiar red "S" in the middle. Has the date of 1912 at the lower middle of the cover. I thought it was earlier then 1912 but then, I had never actually looked. This is the first time I've ever opened the booklet. When I went to get it, I noticed that the accessory box was there, and all the accessories were in the bottom drawer, loose, and looks like they need to be all polished up - there is even extra needles and a new belt for the machine. It also has little wheels on the four feet.
    Sounds like you having fun over there snooping around in the drawers! :-D I am so glad you have the manual for it and the box with all of the accessories! But you know I rarely see the accessories for a machine that old with out some sort of rust on them. I guess if I was that old I would be a little rusty too...... :roll:

Nothing some naval jelly and elbow grease cant fix. Oh and the nice thing is the machine uses the standard 15x1 needles so you are good there. When you get a chance take the shuttle plates off and without it being threaded turn the handwheel and watch how everything works. It is really neat. And when it is threaded and ready to sew pull the shuttle plates back off and watch it make a stitch. The VS machines are sooo cool to watch.

Billy

If anyone is in NY, or near enough to travel, this item on Ebay might be a real good deal, but it is pick up only. I was just cruising through the pre 1930 stuff and ran across it. It says there are five or six vintage machines. Only 11 hours to go on the auction though. so hurry.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-SINGER-SEWIN...item3effd9a54b

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Billy or Charlee, is a 1975 Bernina 830 vintage or just out of range? I would like to learn to clean it myself.
    Bring that baby on!!!!

When I do the Tutorial about the later machines (my 500A will be the victim) It will cover everything you need to know about how to do the general cleaning, oiling , and tune up that these shops want to break the bank on.

You machine fits right in the cut off for the shop because after the mid 70's they started to lean towards plastic cases and circuit boards.

Billy
    I've been out of the shop too long, I see. It doubled in size while I was napping!

I will be waiting for this information, also. My new machine, a Viking, is one of the last made with cams - and I want to be able to take care of it. You are right, Billy. They want an arm and a leg to service it... But it's a good solid metal machine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Katia
    If anyone is in NY, or near enough to travel, this item on Ebay might be a real good deal, but it is pick up only. I was just cruising through the pre 1930 stuff and ran across it. It says there are five or six vintage machines. Only 11 hours to go on the auction though. so hurry.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-SINGER-SEWIN...item3effd9a54b
    They kinda want a little too much for what is seen even though there is a Model 101 in the first photo! If they would have shown everything in the photos your bidding on they might sell them.

3 hours left and no bids

Billy

I am so upset. I missed out on a 1909 Pfaff Hand Crank on Eaby :-(
    Hugs
    April

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    I've been out of the shop too long, I see. It doubled in size while I was napping!

I will be waiting for this information, also. My new machine, a Viking, is one of the last made with cams - and I want to be able to take care of it. You are right, Billy. They want an arm and a leg to service it... But it's a good solid metal machine.
    I am going to pull it out of the cabinet today (500A) and I will start tinkering with it later this week. And yes a tutorial will be done on it. I also have to do the tute on assembly which is going to be huge, over 60 photos if I remember correctly. But that will be tonite or tomorrow.

Billy

Banned
    April any handcrank is a good handcrank to have!!! But you never see any early Pfaffs out there hardly so that would have put you in a league of your own!!!

Billy

April any handcrank is a good handcrank to have!!! But you never see any early Pfaffs out there hardly so that would have put you in a league of your own!!!

Billy
    That is exactly what I thought Billy. Hubby told me to go ahead and bid on it but with shipping it was up to over $300. I am kicking myself in the hiney for not going a bit higher lol
    Hugs
    April

Hello! I'm new to the site, I followed a link to this thread from the TreadleOn email list. My name is Angie, and I'm a fairly new vintage machine enthusiast. I won't call myself a collector, yet, as I'm living in a very small space and have promised my husband I won't buy any more machines. The only exception being if I ever have the good luck to come across a decently priced featherweight. I live in New Brunswick, Canada with my husband and three little boys.

I have to say, I've been having the best time reading through this thread and seeing all your gorgeous sewing machines! I'm only up to page 20 or so, but thought I'd post and introduce myself before I end up replying to someone's post and have them wondering who on earth I am or where I came from LOL

I currently have three vintage machines. My electric is a 1963 Singer 328k. It's heavy and loud and sews like it's on speed LOL

One of my treadle machines is a Singer model 27, serial# B786498, manufactured dec 22 1904, in Montreal. She has Sphinx decals and will be in beautiful condition once I get her cleaned up. I just need to get her out of the cabinet first, she has a really stubborn screw that won't let go. I'm hoping my husband can coax it out later today.

Finally, my real joy is a treadle machine I don't know a whole lot about. It's taken much online searching to glean any information about her, but I've been fortunate to run across some really knowledgable people over the last couple of months who've been invaluable help. She was made by the Raymond Sewing Machine Co in Canada, and badged "Model C". Best guess of a manufacture date is likely sometime around the late 1890's-early 1910's. She seems to be a rare machine, insofar as the closest I've come to finding another even remotely like her are two machines that are very similar (but not quite identical) badged "Beaver" and "Eaton" that were also made by Raymond. Unfortunately, there is very little information about Raymond out there. She has gorgeous maple leaf and shamrock decals.

I'll try and get some photos posted later on today. It's nice to "meet" you all!

Angie

Angie, nice to have you here!

Pull up a chair and join the group. We love to hear about the old machines, and are partial to photos! :lol:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ShutterBug
    Hello! I'm new to the site, I followed a link to this thread from the TreadleOn email list. My name is Angie, and I'm a fairly new vintage machine enthusiast...........

I have to say, I've been having the best time reading through this thread and seeing all your gorgeous sewing machines! I'm only up to page 20 or so, but thought I'd post and introduce myself before I end up replying to someone's post and have them wondering who on earth I am or where I came from LOL.

Angie
    Welcome Angie and sounds like you have some nice machines in you hands now!!! The last machine you were talking about the Raymond there is a few discussions about the company and the "Beaver" going on right now in the NeedleBar. If your not a member yet you really need to join!

It is an international group of collectors whose love for the sewing machine and the history of them has built the site into what I would consider the best source of information on the vintage and antique sewing machine hands down. The Smithsonian uses them all the time for information and research so they are a very well respected group.

Damn near sounds like a sales pitch but I spent all nite last night working on some research for them and have not slept yet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway please post some photos of your beauties and I am sooo glad you came by the Shop and dropped in to say hello!! Just remember that we are all family here and there is always coffee, tea, and snacks waiting on you along with a stool to pull up to the counter.

Billy

Quiltmom, thanks for the warm welcome :-)

Billy, I'm registered at Needlebar and have picked through the Beaver thread with a fine-toothed comb LOL The people there, Claire especially, were really helpful in determining that my machine is a Raymond and linked to the Beaver and Eaton models. I've also spoken with Jennifer (who took the Beaver photos, and who I believe owns the Eaton) via the TreadleOn email list.

I'll dig through my pictures when I've got the littlest one down for his nap this afternoon.

Billy, It is pretty hot today so I thought I would drop by with some ice cold lemonade and Ice tea for everyone.

Page 53 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 3 43 52 53 54 63 103 153 553 1053 ... LastLast