Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 63 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 13 53 62 63 64 73 113 163 563 1063 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by JCquilts
    I am posting pics of a sewing machine that I bought off ebay, and when it arrived it was in pieces.....

I am going to start today trying to glue the wood base back together. There is a hole in the bent wood cover that I am not sure I can fix.
    My mother (a much better woodworker than I!) fixed some holes in a bentwood with wood putty and stain. It turned out pretty well. Unfortunately, I had a little accident with the case, and it needs repair again. It's on my round tuit list. Pic:
    (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...55457783axNtUK)

Blog Entries
    wow, thanks for posting pictures of the vintage sewing machines

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO
    Probably a dumb question, but when I turn the handwheel, should the bobbin move at all? It just sits there and does nothing. I wonder how the top thread can engage the bobbin thread if it doesn't move? Or maybe that's normal... lol
    If I remember correctly (memory is iffy at best), this is a rotary machine. The shuttle may appear to be stationary as the hook rotates around it. Can anyone else help with a better explanation??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    My mother (a much better woodworker than I!) fixed some holes in a bentwood with wood putty and stain. It turned out pretty well. Unfortunately, I had a little accident with the case, and it needs repair again. It's on my round tuit list. Pic:
    (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...55457783axNtUK)
    Oh No not again!!! Well it looks like it can be repaired easily and I bet it will look like a new penny when its done!!

Billy

Banned
    Update on the Darcene's White Feather Weight.......

The exact date of manufacture is May 13, 1964 and it is a 221K7!

Billy

Machine on creigslist.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh Billy, I am so jealous. I want one of those little white/green/beige machines. One of these days. Right now still enjoying my little black featherweight I bought on ebay for $180. Really great little machine.

Billy, BF is coming over for Supper, so I can see if he can post a picture. I am computer illiterate, I can turn it on and off, lol!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    Billy, BF is coming over for Supper, so I can see if he can post a picture. I am computer illiterate, I can turn it on and off, lol!
    I am looking forward to it!!!

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by summerstorm
    Machine on creigslist.
    Are you going to get it? That would be a nice one to clean up and to have!!!

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Oh Billy, I am so jealous. I want one of those little white/green/beige machines. One of these days. Right now still enjoying my little black featherweight I bought on ebay for $180. Really great little machine.
    I think I am going to have to find me one now. I have just about fallen in love with the little fellow!!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    And another one is going to join the family of machines at my house!! :D

Now that the auctions are over, I have to tell you that another member told me about this one...but make sure that you check out shopgoodwill.com for good stuff! :D

Meet "Hester"!
    Name:  Attachment-76005.jpe
Views: 111
Size:  21.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by summerstorm
    Machine on creigslist.
    Back on page 100 I posted a pic of a machine I couldn't figure out what was written for the name of the machine. I thought it read with two L letters. Seeing the pic of the craigslist that you posted makes me wonder if it could be a L and the letter I, as in FRANKLIN? They are faint letters. Wish decals didn't wear off :roll:

The cabinet you showed is very nice. Did you buy it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee

Now that the auctions are over, I have to tell you that another member told me about this one...but make sure that you check out shopgoodwill.com for good stuff! :D
    oooooh Charlee, nice!

Didn't know about shopgoodwill.com. Have thought about posting a craigslist ad for vintage machines. I bet there are tons lurking in closets, etc. just waiting for a new home. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Charlee, PRETTY NICE! Well, we took pictures on the digital camera, so I am waiting for Rob to see if he can put them on my computer! Silly guy is out mowing the lawn when we COULD be loading sewing machine pictures...yeesh!

Blog Entries
    the *really* nice part is that I got the 1st Damascus for $6.00 plus $15 shipping...and this one is coming to me for $7 plus $14 shipping....so $42 got me these two machines that were originally sold by Montgomery Wards. :)

Banned

Ooohhh!!! Very swanky :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BKinCO

:lol: :lol: Only the best!! ;)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BKinCO

:lol: :lol: Only the best!! ;)
    But of course!!!! :) She's all swirly and filagree-y. VERY pretty!

Blog Entries
    the *really* nice part is that I got the 1st Damascus for $6.00 plus $15 shipping...and this one is coming to me for $7 plus $14 shipping....so $42 got me these two machines that were originally sold by Montgomery Wards. :)
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Really nice part? How does that happen? I have been thinking I need to go to the Eastern side of the states to get REALLY good deals but I know you are in the West with me. I am flabbergasted :roll: :roll: :roll:

I think your term is 'drooooooooooooooool'. Congratulations! My hat is definitely off to you and all the rest of you who get those really, rreally good deals. :D

Started cleaning my machine yesterday. Yikes, what a lot of gunk. I'm only 1/3 of the way. So much gunk. Unfortunately the decals are not in very good shape and there is a lot of road rash as Billy calls it on the bed. Guess I will have to decide about the paint pen or just re-painting the whole thing.

Billy-several of the screws are frozen up. I used panther p (as DH calls it) several times and no go. How do I get them loose? One is on the scroll plate . I may have to drill it with my Dremmel. I know there are some lubricating/penetrating sprays other than what I used. Guess I will have to purchase them and try it.

One more thing I would add to the list of items needed to clean/repair your machine are latex gloves. Have ick under nails I can't get out. Oh well, I had fun.

Blog Entries
    You get all the best toys........will you take me shopping with you?
    Have fun cleaning and restoring.....I am going to start on one of mine this week.....now, to choose the lucky victim---I mean lucky, lucky machine.....

Blog Entries
    I should add that if you're going to shopgoodwill.com you can check for "local" listings...they tend to have rather high shipping rates...I lucked out on these two because they were in Portland...

Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO
    Probably a dumb question, but when I turn the handwheel, should the bobbin move at all? It just sits there and does nothing. I wonder how the top thread can engage the bobbin thread if it doesn't move? Or maybe that's normal... lol
    If I remember correctly (memory is iffy at best), this is a rotary machine. The shuttle may appear to be stationary as the hook rotates around it. Can anyone else help with a better explanation??
    Luckily the Singer treadle works great! No challenging electricity to worry about :)

The one with the bobbin/treading problem is an electric New Home from the '40s. Maybe it is a needle problem still. I have to figure out what needle it needs. Otherwise I have no idea what the problem is! Frustrating..... but thank you for the advice, it is more than welcome! Any tips are appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    Started cleaning my machine yesterday. Yikes, what a lot of gunk. I'm only 1/3 of the way. So much gunk. Unfortunately the decals are not in very good shape and there is a lot of road rash as Billy calls it on the bed. Guess I will have to decide about the paint pen or just re-painting the whole thing.

One more thing I would add to the list of items needed to clean/repair your machine are latex gloves. Have ick under nails I can't get out. Oh well, I had fun.
    I hear you! I spent hours yesterday cleaning the Singer treadle. There is a lot of soreness in my fingers and hands now from pushing hard to get the grime off. I still have another day's work left. It looks so much better already though! Keep at it!

Page 63 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 13 53 62 63 64 73 113 163 563 1063 ... LastLast