Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-10-2010, 10:19 AM

Charlee, I have now posted the pics of the attachments and the bobbins. These bobbins are almost an inch in diameter and one long bobbin. I do not know what they go to. That is a 6 inch ruler. Glenn
Old 05-10-2010, 10:43 AM

I couldn't use the long bobbin, but I'd sure take those round ones off your hands Glenn! :)
Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Billy, What a BEAUTIFUL cabinet. I see it is a Model 27. I have an 1896 Singer model 27. Do you know what year that ad is from?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
Thanks. I am going to get her this afternoon. $75 I am doing the happy dance!!! Her name will be "Leona" for my gram who never sewed a day in her life! Ha
Ah...you're going to love everything about "Leona" except for one thing....needles are a BITCH to find! :(

this is a Singer 9W...and they work you can't believe...beautiful straight stitch...however. The needles that they take are obsolete and difficult at best to find! A couple of months ago, I bought out one ebay seller of 6 tubes (3 needles each)....for the low, everyday price of $65. Start watching for 127x1 needles to come up on ebay, and grab them if you see them before I do!! ;)

The machine was made at the Wheeler & Wilson factory after Singer bought it in 1906. They made this model until 1912. I love mine...she's awesome! The needles are the only bad thing about her...and even that can be "fixed" so that it'll take a more common needle.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 AM

Send me you address via PM and I will sent them to you. Glenn
Old 05-10-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by mama2josh
I live in the land of old Singer's. On my local craigslist (portland.craigslist.org) there are no less than 15 vintage Singer's posted in the last week or so, including 3 FWs, one if which is the Centennial Edition. Also a couple 66s, and a 301.
I wish I had more money...

I just had to go look.. and OMGosh!! You weren't kidding! There is 2 whole pages of machine listed...WOW!
:shock:
Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Linda B
I'm new to this forum, and have surfed a few pages of this thread, but rather than read 40+ pages (!), would like to ask a couple of questions. Do most of you actually use these old machines? If you do, what do they offer that a newer machine doesn't? My husband inherited one of the Singer treadles from his mother but gave it to his sister who got rid of it. I'm wondering now if that was a big mistake!!
I use mine everyday, and most of them are treadle powered. I used to be able to say all of mine were treadle but now I have the 128, 500A, and a Kenmore that are e-machines.

The advantage is you can say you are holding a piece of living history when you give a quilt that you made on a treadle. Plus you can feel the love put into a quilt that is made on a vintage machine.

Billy
Old 05-10-2010, 12:48 PM

I use mine! I love them...there's just something about a treadle that's soothing....I also have 8 electric machines...one of them a fairly new Janome. I'll be using my Singer 201-2 for FMQ tho...it's got the largest space for quilting! :)
Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 PM

Thanks, Charlee. I amoff to ebay, please don't outbid me!
Old 05-10-2010, 01:17 PM

Charlee, you are scaring me. Would it be costly to change this part to accept other needles? What would I have to do?? Penni