Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-10-2010, 03:46 PM

Billy,
Sorry but it is me again.
So would you advise using the kerosene if everything is moving well and not gunked up? It looks as if I give it a good dusting and oiling that it would work fine. I just need to clean up the exterior really well. I also bought a leather shoe lace to use as the belt. I have got my DH husband in on project with me. I am so thankful that I found you on this site. I have wanted to get machine up an running for some time now. When I get it all fixed up I will post pics again. It will a while though.
Charlene
Old 05-10-2010, 03:51 PM

Ok, now I'm totally confused.

I know I have a 201. Inside the cabinet is a manual that says 201-2. But I believe the motor is a potted motor. Does that make it a 201k? Does the "K" mean it's a potted motor?

Also in the pictures the cord running to the motor was a little frayed from getting caught in the cabinet. Should I have that replaced or can I do it myself? Right now my husband wrapped it with electrical tape.

Everything else seems in excellent working order. Billy thinks I need more oil or grease because it squeaks at a fast speed, but not sure where to put it or what kind to use. The cabinet needs some work, but everything else is beautiful and not rusted!

The model # is AE432754.

I thought I was learning about these machines but get more confused every day.

Another view of front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58141[/ATTACH]

Model 201
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58310[/ATTACH]

The frayed wire to motor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58311[/ATTACH]

The face plate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58312[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-58141.jpe   attachment-58310.jpe   attachment-58311.jpe   attachment-58312.jpe  
Old 05-10-2010, 03:59 PM

Jan, you have a 1937 201...if the motor is potted, then I'm pretty sure it's a 201-2. The 201K is belt driven...which is why Billy wants a K model, so he can treadle it! ;)

I'd replace any wiring that's worn or frayed...safety first! :)
Old 05-10-2010, 04:02 PM

Charlee, is the wire hard to replace? Or should I bring it in and have it fixed. It is so heavy! :!:

I love the big throat of it.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:03 PM

Is Jan's cabinet typical of that particular Singer? I like the way it opens short on one side and bigger on the other.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:11 PM

Jan, Billy's going to do a wiring tute soon, I'd wait until then and decide...but they can't be that hard to replace! I'm going to replace my foot pedal as soon as I can find another one that's more original to the machine (it's got a white "Made in Japan" pedal now) and I plan to re-do it myself.

Melody, they sold a lot of different cabinet types and styles for these machines. I'm on the lookout now for a treadle in a parlor cabinet...that's in my price range! ;) My sis in law has one, but she's not giving it up! :(
Old 05-10-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by chamby
Okay here are pics of my vintage sewing machine. This was my Moms and the first machine that I learn how sew on.
Billy on what page are your directions for cleaning this machine.
I would love to get it in working order. Also is there a way to find a manuel for this machine? The number on the number plate is G4641377. The veneer is gone from the outside of the lid and on the side tops. It was so cracked and most missing anyway, that I removed the little pieces. I also need a belt for this one. It is totally manual no motor.
It has not been used in a very long time. I am sure it needs cleaning from the inside out.
Please help!!!
I am so excited. Got the belt on machine tonight. However it needs a good oiling before I get it going. I also tried cleaning the face plate with mothers. I will have to use the Go Jo on it first. Too many years of grime. Yeah, there is hope for the old girl after all.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:01 PM

Oh, I would love to have teh machine in teh Ad. What a beauty.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:02 PM

Oh, I would love to have the machine in the Ad. What a beauty.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:04 PM

I think we all would love to have it! It is beautiful for sure.