Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-18-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by luv2learn
Would someone please explain what a friction drive motor is, and could it be what I have on my White Rotary shown on page 617?
link to one: http://needlebar.org/cm~nb/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=7

Does your bobbin winder wheel sit on your sewing wheel? I think that is what drives the bobbin winder to make it work.
Vintagemotif,
Thank you for the reference. . . yes, the bobbinn winder rubs on the handwheel to run, and the motor has the same type of action from the back with a separate little rubber wheel. I just hadn't heard this type motor specifically discussed. For anyone who uses a White Rotary or other machine with this type of motor, are they comparable in function and longevity as belt driven or potted motors? Is it possible to treadle a machine originally friction driven?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Thank you - this helps immensely! Now if I can just keep it straight in my brain once & for all! About the bobbins - would the ones you are talking about be the same as for my 403a? Those are fatter & definitely different from my Featherweight bobbins. And since these are the only 2 Singers I've owned I don't know what else is out there.
I don't think it would work to put a class 15 bobbin in the 401a if the 401a takes the same bobbin as my 501a? The 501a takes the same bobbin that the Model 66 takes and the 99's. It is a bobbin with curved/rolled in edges, while the 15's bobbin is wide, flat all the way around with a bunch of tiny holes all around and they are a tiny bit wider than the class 66 bobbins. You can get bobbins for the 15 at Walmart, Joannes, Hancocks, all over. The bobbins for the 501a, 99's and 66's are a little harder to find -- I get them at a sewing shop or on line.

Billy what would you call these bobbins - for the 15's a class 15 bobbin? For the 66, 99, 501a a class 66 bobbin?

Nancy
Old 02-18-2011, 08:00 PM

Happy Treadler I am impressed with your sewing room but I didn't realize sewing rooms had floors as I can't even see mine. lol
Old 02-18-2011, 08:32 PM

Very pretty machine. I like the pheasant decal. I saw one this week at a flea market but in a plain cabinet. Beautiful!!!
Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Here is another one I am looking at. Whatcha think on this one? Paint looks decent. Alot of accesories in a cabinet.
Donna Mare, that is the Pheasant decal (I am pretty sure, although I have only seen one and it was in very bad shape) and that decal is very hard to find in that condition! Get that machine for sure!

Nancy
Nancy you and Mr. Billy talked me into it. Got back home a bit ago. 5 hours later I am back home..and it is settled in. It needs a little cleaning but not bad at all.. moves well... draws are pretty full of great stuff. The lady I purchased from was very nice and gave me the family history on it. It was her Gram's. Her Gram has been gone for many years and the lady is moving out of the country so is parting with many things. Very nice lady. Anyhow, here are a couple of quick pics....
Old 02-18-2011, 08:38 PM

I had gotten a 404 a couple of weeks ago (my mom was paying me for a plumbing project and I wouldn't take her money so she got me a machine instead) and got a chance to use it. My what a neat machine. Only the straight stitch, but lots of power. I was making a clown costume for my sister in law's church program. I have a 301 that I use a lot for machine quilting, but this one is good too. It came with a box of accessories and a buttonholer as well, so the the 301 can borrow them I guess.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Banned

Nancy you and Mr. Billy talked me into it. Got back home a bit ago. 5 hours later I am back home..and it is settled in. It needs a little cleaning but not bad at all.. moves well... draws are pretty full of great stuff. The lady I purchased from was very nice and gave me the family history on it. It was her Gram's. Her Gram has been gone for many years and the lady is moving out of the country so is parting with many things. Very nice lady. Anyhow, here are a couple of quick pics....
Hey Donna Yes you did very well on this one indeed!!! I really love it and like we talked about earlier your sitting on a gold mine!

Billy
Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by luv2learn
For anyone who uses a White Rotary or other machine with this type of motor, are they comparable in function and longevity as belt driven or potted motors? Is it possible to treadle a machine originally friction driven?
MOst of the time you can not put a friction drive in a treadle because the pulley lacks the grove for the belt. But there is no saying that you cant find a handwheel that will work and then you can run it in a treadle.

Billy
Old 02-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Billy what would you call these bobbins - for the 15's a class 15 bobbin? For the 66, 99, 501a a class 66 bobbin?

Nancy
You are correct Nancy!!

Billy
Old 02-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Banned

Wel it looks like I go get my 1870's Domestic tomorrow or Sunday depending when she will be home for me to drop by. I am so excited to get another early model sewing machine!!!

I did move the Eldredge irons in my bathroom to sit there until I get my cabinet top and machine finished. Then its to the hall of Treadles!!!

Billy
Old 02-18-2011, 09:31 PM

Donna Mare, I am very glad you got that machine. Those 27's with the pheasant decal are not common. What year is the machine? I am betting, early 1900's.

Nancy