Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-12-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Darcene
A moment of silence please....I was on a fabric shopping mission today and I stopped in at a junk shop just to look around (yeah-I know that all of you knows what that really means). The shop was closed for lunch but look at what I found sitting outside....my heart just about stopped and I am telling myself that I did the right thing by leaving them where I found them....but, still.....what a senseless waste of four machines.....cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ouch... I would have loved the lotus and the elgin. Elgin is a family name for me. I'd fix it up if possible. I've been watching for them on ebay. My hat is off, head bowed...
Old 05-12-2011, 12:16 PM

I would not have been able to leave them. My hat is off to you for being strong. If you don't go back, may the pretty ladies RIP.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I would not have been able to leave them. My hat is off to you for being strong. If you don't go back, may the pretty ladies RIP.
I'm still not convinced that I won't go back and get them....I will be strong, yes, I will..... :(

The decals on the Lotus were pristine along the edges-just totally silvered out from sitting in the sun for so long.....

Is there anything worth trying to salvage off of these ladies so that they could still be of some help to someone else?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:58 PM

I'm still not convinced that I won't go back and get them....I will be strong, yes, I will..... :(

The decals on the Lotus were pristine along the edges-just totally silvered out from sitting in the sun for so long.....

Is there anything worth trying to salvage off of these ladies so that they could still be of some help to someone else?
I don't know, sounds like a Billy question; tho there are many on the board who salvage (like Jan). Billy could repaint them and wire bush the chrome parts, but some of that rust looks to have got a good bite on those machines. Maybe the wheels and cover plates to the motors could be saved? I wonder what that store has on the INSIDE if they're throwing away multiple machines like that. Perhaps you can give them your name and number, so they'll call if they throw out any more?

What a shame.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:09 PM

For those of us with heavy vintage machines. Do you live in South Florida, and need a really study quilting table/machine table? I have a great, rounded corner, 1"thick oak laminate desk/table top that's 30" x 60". It's heavy and in good shape. Not the flimsy stuff that's made now.

Anyone in the West Palm Beach/North Palm Beach Florida area, want this? I was using it for a cutting surface (put a mat on it) but now I have a different set up and no room for it.

There are legs and a oak/wood stablizer piece to it, but the table sits very low on those. Lower than 29". Still if you wanted the legs and such, I'd dig them out for you. If you want a taller table, it's easy enough to set the top on file cabinets or make legs for it.

If someone in the area wants it... for the quilting room, for a day school, for a shop, etc.... you can have it. PM and let me know!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose

:-( Oh my such a sad thing indeed. Darcene, maybe you can go back and salvage the badges. I think they would be a nice item to have in case you ever need to replace one.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 PM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=SnowQuilt]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by PJisChaos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOu4-...eature=related

Happy to read that you got the hang of treadling.
Have fun treadling!
The one I posted the other day is for winding the shuttle. This one is for loading into case and machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9tkZrYP5fU

Have fun treadling!
OMGosh!! These were so very helpful, you have no idea how much trouble I have been having with winding a simple bobbin. Thank goodness I kept those 2/$1 spools of crap thread I got at Wal~Mart years ago. I have been practicing with that stuff to "get the hang of it" and just wasn't getting the hang of anything other than more bad words!

The tip she shows of winding it without going thru the arm thingy was amazing and just what I needed to get more than the right side loaded. LoL!

Actually started a cute little treadle wall hanging last night to break her in with, almost done with it and the sewing part is a breeze. Just dumb as all get out when it comes to the bobbin winding, reckon I am too spoiled with my other machines and how easy the bobbin winding is on them.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:37 PM

A moment of silence please....I was on a fabric shopping mission today and I stopped in at a junk shop just to look around (yeah-I know that all of you knows what that really means). The shop was closed for lunch but look at what I found sitting outside....my heart just about stopped and I am telling myself that I did the right thing by leaving them where I found them....but, still.....what a senseless waste of four machines.....cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:cry: aaaahhhh! Are they throwing them away? If so I'd stop in and tell ask them if you can take them.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
I have a 1918 singer 66 redeye that has had a motor put on it. Eventually I want to treadle it but I don't have the room right now so we are talking down the road a few years. i have an opportunity to buy a 1954 singer 66-16 in a cabinet for $100 (maybe cheaper, haven't tried yet).I'm waiting for pictures. I really didnt want another cabinet but I can use the carrying case my 1974 Domestic is in if I need to.

Is there much of a difference in the two 66's with that big of a time span?

I have that older 66 and I have a Spartan from late 50's and Im having a bugger of a time getting the tension right. It's about to make me want to give up and just stick with the 301 that I LOVE so dearly! I'm trying to get another machine running good that I can put in my camper and leave it for the summer.
The Singer 66 from 1918 most likely has back clamping/mounted feet and the 66-16 has side mounting feet and can use most of the newer feet.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:50 PM

A moment of silence please....what a senseless waste of four machines..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Darcene; My heart hurts along with yours. You are much stronger as I don't know if I'd have left them there. ~ Chris