Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1567 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 567 1067 1467 1517 1557 1566 1567 1568 1577 1617 1667 ... LastLast
Results 39,151 to 39,175 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #39151
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    She loves to hug and kiss. Look out when she turns 16...
    She likes my shop a lot. I have cool stuff in there... Scares me to death when 5 kids show up and take over. So far Walter doesn't give a fig. The others each have their own interests.
    Well, I like all the photos of the kids! I especially liked the one with you and the kids! Those little redheads are just too cute!

    Charlee, glad you are doing better!

    Jean, those darn little featherweights need to stay out of the way! Maybe, that was pay back for thinking about leaving it behind? Anyway, I hope your arm heals nicely!

    Nancy

  2. #39152
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,029
    Blog Entries
    19
    Elaine, I love your aprons. I agree with Charlee about $30 for the apron. That being said, they's also have to be able to be tied and I'm a bit on the fluffy side. Have you considered the fluffier gals or DH's who might want to buy the fluffier wife a cute apron? Just a question to consider. I picked up 2 vintage aprons at an estate sale for a buck apiece and they both can be tied around my waist but they are not the fuller aprons but just from the waist down. Yours remind me of the June Cleaver type.
    Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

  3. #39153
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Chris,

    Elaine responds: "The aprons I have are the largest size from the multi-size patterns. I have considered the "fluffier" people, but don't know how much "fluffier" I need to make them."

    Dictated to and typed by Joe as she unloads grocery bags.

    Joe

  4. #39154
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Chris,

    Elaine responds: "The aprons I have are the largest size from the multi-size patterns. I have considered the "fluffier" people, but don't know how much "fluffier" I need to make them."

    Dictated to and typed by Joe as she unloads grocery bags.

    Joe
    try one on Joe...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  5. #39155
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merritt Island, FL
    Posts
    663
    Blog Entries
    16
    Charlee: glad to see your smiling face a bit more frequently. Glad that the energy level is rising and all seems to be improving.

    Cathy: Thank you so much for the info on Whites. It will be a while before I can really get into the info or the machines. There are soooo many commitments hanging over my head until January but then, I hope to get into my 3 Whites.

    Grant: Thank you also, for your offer of help. Two of the Whites have FR numbers and the company gave me dates for them (if I can find the darn paper again) but none for the machine that had only numerals (six if I remember correctly). Anyway, come the first of the year, I hope to get into all 3 of then and their cabinets...them the New Home and then the Graybar. I have plenty of work ahead of me as the are all in pitiful shape...filthy but fairly free moving and cabinets that will require complete refinishing.

    Thanks again to all for the information you share. I would love to get one of those drop dead gorgeous FWs that you seem to find but down here they want at least $350 for them and that is out of my reach for now.
    Donna
    Last edited by blueheavenfla; 11-04-2012 at 03:37 PM.

  6. #39156
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,029
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Chris,

    Elaine responds: "The aprons I have are the largest size from the multi-size patterns. I have considered the "fluffier" people, but don't know how much "fluffier" I need to make them."

    Dictated to and typed by Joe as she unloads grocery bags.

    Joe
    Joe, Agree with Miriam. Try one on. I do understand the issue of how much fluffier to make the pattern. You make a good secretary, by the way, and thanks for typing up the dictation.
    Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

  7. #39157
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    try one on Joe...
    Yes Joe lets see you in a nice new apron.

    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

  8. #39158
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    1
    Charlee so nice to hear from you again and glad you are felling better.
    Skipper
    Glenn W. Cleveland

  9. #39159
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    168
    Elaine, I love your aprons, especially the blue and yellow one. I'm in the UK and would pay around 20 for one.
    Clare

  10. #39160
    Super Member Crossstitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,059
    Blog Entries
    7
    Jean, sorry about your arm, hope it mends well. Do you think the FW was trying to tell you something?

    Charlee, glad you are feeling better.

    Nancy I like your little machine and the table runner it is sitting on. You do such nice work.

    Miriam, love the little red head. My neice has red hair and your GD remindes me of her when she was small.

    As for me I will not be able to do much sewing after next week. I have to have major surgery done and Dr. said I can not use a treadle for a while. But, DH reads the quilt board and he will keep me informed as to who bought a new old machine so take care everyone and I'll see you in a few weeks.

    PS Glenn DH said you should name your WW Cinderella. We have one and she has a couple pairs of glass slippers and that is what he call her.
    Last edited by Crossstitcher; 11-05-2012 at 05:46 AM.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

    Trish

  11. #39161
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Clare,

    20.00 converts to $32.07 USD according to my currency calculator. It's amazing to me how the price range of these aprons is so consistent from one country to another.

    Joe -- Elaine read this too, but is getting ready for a new job orientation.

  12. #39162
    Super Member nanna-up-north's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,998
    Thanks everyone for your good wishes. I will find out today if I will have surgery. The pain meds make me a little sick but keep the pain manageable.

    Love the aprons. I got a pattern for an apron at an estate sale before we left the cabin...I want to make it but will have to wait for healing. It's probably a 40's style.

  13. #39163
    Member jpete523's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    93
    Blog Entries
    2
    Joe (and Elaine) I checked the prices for vintage and handmade aprons on etsy.com and it looks like your pricing is in the same range as those selling on that site. I often find the etsy sellers' prices more reasonable than ebay's. HTH! Yours are really cute aprons and I wish you good luck.

    Jan

  14. #39164
    Super Member Crossstitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,059
    Blog Entries
    7
    Joe and Elaine, I love the aprons. I too have patterns but never got around to making one. Have fun selling them I'm sure you will get a lot of compliments on them.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

    Trish

  15. #39165
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,029
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
    Joe and Elaine, I love the aprons. I too have patterns but never got around to making one. Have fun selling them I'm sure you will get a lot of compliments on them.
    Trish, Praying for your surgery and all goes well.
    Blessings, Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

  16. #39166
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
    Jean, sorry about your arm, hope it mends well. Do you think the FW was trying to tell you something?

    Charlee, glad you are feeling better.

    Nancy I like your little machine and the table runner it is sitting on. You do such nice work.

    Miriam, love the little red head. My neice has red hair and your GD remindes me of her when she was small.

    As for me I will not be able to do much sewing after next week. I have to have major surgery done and Dr. said I can not use a treadle for a while. But, DH reads the quilt board and he will keep me informed as to who bought a new old machine so take care everyone and I'll see you in a few weeks.

    PS Glenn DH said you should name your WW Cinderella. We have one and she has a couple pairs of glass slippers and that is what he call her.
    Trish hope all goes well if you have surgery and God speed a recovery. I think I will name the WW8 Cinderella now that she has her glass slipper.

    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

  17. #39167
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
    Nancy I like your little machine and the table runner it is sitting on. You do such nice work.

    As for me I will not be able to do much sewing after next week. I have to have major surgery done and Dr. said I can not use a treadle for a while. But, DH reads the quilt board and he will keep me informed as to who bought a new old machine so take care everyone and I'll see you in a few weeks.
    Trish thank you, that was one of those "Easy Stripe' patterns that are completely pieced to make the table runner look like it is a panel! Pretty cool the way you have to cut out your stripes and line everything up to make the pattern.

    Trish, I hope all goes well with your surgery!

    Nancy

  18. #39168
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,583
    Blog Entries
    19
    Joe, I want to see you in one of the aprons. I think the one with red binding would suit you. I've made some for one GD and for sale at the church bazaar. Elaine, I like your patterns. Very retro.

    Nana, prayers and best wishes on a successful healing of the arm.

    Trish, Prayers and good wishes for you an uneventful healing from your surgery.

  19. #39169
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    The day after I sold a Pfaff 229 automatic. I purchased a Pfaff 230 that was not an automatic. The 229 and the 230 are really the same machine. I really could not find anything that was different between the two other than the number on the side. The automatic and non automatic are pretty similar but the non automatics are much simpler than the automatics. The non automatics can't do all of the fancy stitches that the automatics can do though. The automatics are pretty crowded under the top cover and not easy to work on things that are buried underneath and are very complicated machines. I thought that I would show a side by side of the two machines together. My new friend Kathy, yes you BoJangles, and I were IM-ing each other on this subject and it wasn't just me that didn't know that there were models of Pfaff machines that were automatic and non automatic but carried the same model numbers. I thought that I would pass this along to avoid some confusion for others in the future as well. Name:  Pfaff comparison.jpg
Views: 3565
Size:  756.7 KB

  20. #39170
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,029
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    The day after I sold a Pfaff 229 automatic. I purchased a Pfaff 230 that was not an automatic. The 229 and the 230 are really the same machine. I really could not find anything that was different between the two other than the number on the side. The automatic and non automatic are pretty similar but the non automatics are much simpler than the automatics. The non automatics can't do all of the fancy stitches that the automatics can do though. The automatics are pretty crowded under the top cover and not easy to work on things that are buried underneath and are very complicated machines. I thought that I would show a side by side of the two machines together. My new friend Kathy, yes you BoJangles, and I were IM-ing each other on this subject and it wasn't just me that didn't know that there were models of Pfaff machines that were automatic and non automatic but carried the same model numbers. I thought that I would pass this along to avoid some confusion for others in the future as well. Name:  Pfaff comparison.jpg
Views: 3565
Size:  756.7 KB
    Grant; thank you for the pictures. Wow, very interesting and how complicated the top one looks in comparison to the bottom one ~ that was my 1st thought.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

  21. #39171
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    The day after I sold a Pfaff 229 automatic. I purchased a Pfaff 230 that was not an automatic. The 229 and the 230 are really the same machine. I really could not find anything that was different between the two other than the number on the side. The automatic and non automatic are pretty similar but the non automatics are much simpler than the automatics. The non automatics can't do all of the fancy stitches that the automatics can do though. The automatics are pretty crowded under the top cover and not easy to work on things that are buried underneath and are very complicated machines. I thought that I would show a side by side of the two machines together. My new friend Kathy, yes you BoJangles, and I were IM-ing each other on this subject and it wasn't just me that didn't know that there were models of Pfaff machines that were automatic and non automatic but carried the same model numbers. I thought that I would pass this along to avoid some confusion for others in the future as well. Name:  Pfaff comparison.jpg
Views: 3565
Size:  756.7 KB
    Grant, WOW that comparison is really an eye opener! I have been trying the different stitches on my 260, which is also an automatic version, and I find it pretty complicated to use. I really loved using the 360 for FM. I tried the 260 for FM, but couldn't get the same quality stitches because of the way I had the machine set! It took me a while to figure out what I had set wrong - so many dials! I was trying to finish a Patchability and decided to just go with my Singer 503a, Rocketeer! That machine is really easy to use. I never did figure out how to get a blind or blanket stitch with the Pfaff 260, even though, the book shows the blind stitch? I will play some more when I am not pushed to get something done!

    Again thank you for the photos comparing the automatic to the non-automatic! We are all learning all the time. We have just ventured into the Pfaff world - at least I have jumped in with both feet! It is very interesting to learn about these vintage machines!

    Nancy (BoJangles is that black horse in my Avator)

  22. #39172
    Super Member nanna-up-north's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,998
    Trish, good luck on your surgery. We'll have to communicate while we recover. My doctor wants to let this heal without surgery. I'm praying that works. We'll only be able to drool over all the pretty machines and once we're able to sew again, we'll be super busy. At least that's the way it works for me....I know from past experience.

  23. #39173
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    ...THAT wasn't my first thought when I popped the cover the first time.... lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Grant; thank you for the pictures. Wow, very interesting and how complicated the top one looks in comparison to the bottom one ~ that was my 1st thought.

  24. #39174
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    I'll just talk to the horse AND you at the same time then. lol. Be careful, I think that the stitch wheels might not be interchangeable on Pfaff's and possibly mislabeled And,... may have misled you, me, and others in the process. I'm still doing research on that. Yes! Quite a difference between the auto and non auto. Still wrapping my head around Pfaff's too. But this black non auto is SO sweet, quiet, and so well behaved, I just am having a hard time thinking about letting it go. I have promised it to a friend though and I know that I'm going to have to let it go soon makes me sad in a way.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Grant, WOW that comparison is really an eye opener! I have been trying the different stitches on my 260, which is also an automatic version, and I find it pretty complicated to use. I really loved using the 360 for FM. I tried the 260 for FM, but couldn't get the same quality stitches because of the way I had the machine set! It took me a while to figure out what I had set wrong - so many dials! I was trying to finish a Patchability and decided to just go with my Singer 503a, Rocketeer! That machine is really easy to use. I never did figure out how to get a blind or blanket stitch with the Pfaff 260, even though, the book shows the blind stitch? I will play some more when I am not pushed to get something done!

    Again thank you for the photos comparing the automatic to the non-automatic! We are all learning all the time. We have just ventured into the Pfaff world - at least I have jumped in with both feet! It is very interesting to learn about these vintage machines!

    Nancy (BoJangles is that black horse in my Avator)

  25. #39175
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,029
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    ...THAT wasn't my first thought when I popped the cover the first time.... lol.
    My other thought was "I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" regarding the 230. I do want one and continue to look for one although not sure why given the amount of other machines I have. The hunt is part of the fun, though.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.