Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 PM

You're right; the shuttle is different, and if you change the carrier, you have to change the shuttle. But this part isn't the carrier, so maybe it would work???? You'd just have to try and see, I guess!
Wish I hadn't already junked this one.
Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
Originally Posted by quilt addict
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
How easy is it to get that part off? If it comes off, one of us surely has the part you need. I just junked a 127; stripped off the parts I thought I might use and got rid of the body. Not sure if I have another parts machine or not--but someone here surely will]
It looks like it should be easy to get off. Just the big screw that goes through the center and into the base of the machine. There is also another screw to an arm that makes it swing the shuttle. I think I can do it but did not want to take it apart until Billy or someone like you chime in and say it can be done.

Thanks you are one of my idols.

I think the shuttle maybe different for the 27 and 127 but that part maybe the same but you are right and should find out from someone who knows better because I dont lol
Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Heehee!

My daughter is sewing a pair of pants right now, and she ran into trouble doing the top stitching with her Janome TB30, birds nests underside.

I told her she could use one of my machines. I told her that I have a couple that produce beautiful top and bottom stitches. Well, the look of horror on her face made just made me laugh. I told her not the TREADLES, but my 401 or FW. She said maybe...no that's okay. Well, I got the 401 out, set it up, did a test run with fabric and thread. And she said "Your machine WINS".

So, she sits down to work with the 401, hits the foot pedal, and says "oh, man, this machine goes". heehee She also said " that big hunker of a thing goes faster than my Janome". So now, she is getting use to the 401's speed and learning to control the machine to use for her top stitching. I told her she could still try a treadle. :)
My daughter loves sewing with the Singer 401!!!!! I have saved a Singer 15-91 in a nice cabinet for her. It sits in her bedroom. So maybe now she will give that a try too. YES, someone else in the house that enjoys sewing with vintage machines. I know she will not be a collector.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
You don't want me for an idol. Remember all the talk about my basement? I am tackling boxes of dishes I've stored beside my dryer for the past FOUR years. (I put them away so I could get out Christmas decorations. Four years ago.) Some of it is Japanese luster, which I collect, but some is just plain STUFF. The dryer hose has come loose at some time in the past, and the boxes are covered with lint. It flies in my eyes and up my nose and probably in my hair. I'm taking a break right now because my eyes are itching and I'M TIRED OF WORKING, LOL. If I get black lung from the lint, someone has to sue Whirlpool, OK?
I keep hoping I'll find the key to the china cabinet when going through these boxes, but no such luck. I'm pretty sure it's in a bone jar that I packed away sometime back in the mists of time.
[/quote]

I like going through china too! Where do you live? Sewing machines and china, your basement is an antique shop!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:00 PM

Lisa,
You did a beautiful job cleaning up the machine! Sorry to read that a part got broken, that's no fun.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:05 PM

Spotted in the wild today:

Not much really.
A Davis VF, machine and cabinet "ok", but not in what I would consider "good" shape. $99.
Two 15-91s in cabinets. One priced at $50 not in the best shape. The other in beautiful shape with cabinet and stool, $195.00.
One set of New Home attachments. $12.

Nothing came home with me....
Old 07-26-2011, 10:21 PM

Sunday after I tried to arrange my machines for a walking path.
I decided no more machines, I not looking any more.
Monday after shopping for food I came home started reading my mail when I got an e-mail from a friend” saying her friend wanted to get rid of 2 machines and I called her. Well you know the rest. Never say never!
I don’t know where the ID on these are, I am sure I paid to much for the portable but it ran so good and seems to be complete. The cabinet one was $100, is that to much? I did not know they had attachments for these machines. I’m sure what I will do with them. The chain stitching I have is done with commercial machines, much faster and better coverage.

my W&G portable/case
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-13.htm

W&G /cabinet
Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 PM

Kathie, you know I love messing with these machines! That 66 is a very uncomplicated machine! They are also very reliable, I knew you'd figure it out!

Nancy[/quote]

Mancy, you have more faith in me that I do. When hubby took the tension apart the disc were full of gummy stuff and some
rust. He gave them a good cleaning and that took care of the problem. Kathie
Old 07-26-2011, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
Sunday after I tried to arrange my machines for a walking path.
I decided no more machines, I not looking any more.
Monday after shopping for food I came home started reading my mail when I got an e-mail from a friend” saying her friend wanted to get rid of 2 machines and I called her. Well you know the rest. Never say never!
I don’t know where the ID on these are, I am sure I paid to much for the portable but it ran so good and seems to be complete. The cabinet one was $100, is that to much? I did not know they had attachments for these machines. I’m sure what I will do with them. The chain stitching I have is done with commercial machines, much faster and better coverage.

my W&G portable/case

W&G /cabinet
Beautiful machines Phyllis, and no, I don't think you paid too much for them! :)
Old 07-26-2011, 11:02 PM

Charlee did you see the old wrench and the stiletto pick?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
Charlee did you see the old wrench and the stiletto pick?
Yes, I did....amazing that the machines are so complete, and so pretty to boot! :)