Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by grannysewer
My newest FW has the centenial badge, but was dated Oct.26,1950. Did they start that early with the dating? It also has a spring on the thread spool and the 1940 FW doesn't. It it necessary for the thread to spool correctly? Just wondering.
The allotment dates are just when Singer signed off on the making of the machine. The dates on the manufacturing were different that the allotment. Depending on the start date and where the serial fell in the allotment would determine if it got the Centennial badge or not.

Billy
Old 07-21-2011, 12:37 PM

Thank you, Miz Johnny! I looked it up and it's a good start. Mine's a little different, the shuttle runs the other way, but that shouldn't make much difference should it?

Edited: Shuttle runs the same, transverse, but there's an additional slide that bisects the shuttle covers. Don't know yet what it's for as I can't get it to slide, yet.

Jan
Old 07-21-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by grannysewer
My newest FW has the centenial badge, but was dated Oct.26,1950. Did they start that early with the dating? It also has a spring on the thread spool and the 1940 FW doesn't. It it necessary for the thread to spool correctly? Just wondering.
The allotment dates are just when Singer signed off on the making of the machine. The dates on the manufacturing were different that the allotment. Depending on the start date and where the serial fell in the allotment would determine if it got the Centennial badge or not.

Thanks Billy

Billy
Old 07-21-2011, 01:14 PM

That "additional slide" doesn't open. I've never quite figured out what it's for, probably for some sort of repair. There was a free manual closer to your style on the site that no longer lets non-members use it. If you're a member, you can download it!

Originally Posted by jpete523
Thank you, Miz Johnny! I looked it up and it's a good start. Mine's a little different, the shuttle runs the other way, but that shouldn't make much difference should it?

Edited: Shuttle runs the same, transverse, but there's an additional slide that bisects the shuttle covers. Don't know yet what it's for as I can't get it to slide, yet.

Jan
Old 07-21-2011, 01:36 PM

Miz Johnny,
Alrighty then, I'll quit fiddlin with it! No, I'm not a member but I do get the Digest everyday. Guess I better join! The manual refers to a button on the side of the base that lifts the shuttle so the bobbin can be changed. Mine doesn't have one, does yours? I'm reluctant to reach in there and paw around.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
Whoo Hoo! I don't have one of them yet, so I would be on it like butter on corn.

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Any owners of Damascus sewing machines, here? I would love to have opinions from anyone familiar with this brand plus I was wondering how easy it is to get parts, etc. I found this listing on my local CL:

http://worcester.craigslist.org/atq/2465425974.html

It's just in the next town from me so it wouldn't be much of a trip.
O.K.~~You talked me into it :lol: :mrgreen: I just sent an email. Even if it doesn't work, it sure is pretty!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Banned

Just when I thought I saw everything........

http://nashville.craigslist.org/art/2505486121.html

Billy
Old 07-21-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by jpete523
Hi friends, does anyone have a Frister & Rossman? One followed me home when I bought a belt for one of my machines. She's gorgeous, red lily decals in great shape and she's a hand crank. Wood case is in good condition, with key! I know it's a German machine but that's about it. I've run into the usual road block looking for information. Thanks for any help.

Jan
You can post photos of your machine on this thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-12.htm. I would love to see it.
I would love to see it, also!!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Just when I thought I saw everything........

http://nashville.craigslist.org/art/2505486121.html

Billy
Since it's so close to you I'm sure you will be running out to get it tonight....:mrgreen: :roll:
Old 07-21-2011, 02:03 PM

Didn't know they made serger attachments for antique sewing machines.