Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-05-2011, 09:17 AM

Hey, at least now I know who outbid me for that Singer 403 on shopgoodwill -it's Irishrose!! LOL!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Miriam this is so funny, although, I think I'd have called the authorities just to protect myself! I have gotten poison oak so bad so many times that now I am not allergic to it. When we first bought our ranch there was a ton of poison oak - after years of clearing it away -- getting it all over my body - we have gotten rid of most of it, and I don't get it any more. I can go riding and pull it off the trail with my bare hands! I love it! That is nasty stuff!

Nancy
Nancy
Its funny when I read that I thought you were telling Miriam to call the police about the poison IVY lol. I am thinking they cant do anything about that. I had to re read her post several times before I got it
:mrgreen:

Not on my A game today
Old 07-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Here's another 1917 (approx) National Sewing Machine Company machine badged for a retailer. It's a little rough, but what a beauty!! It looks just like my Western Electric badged National.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8132648
Old 07-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
I need help with a 1” pin that fell out when I turned the machine right side up after scrubbing the underside. I did not take it out, it just fell out!!
I don’t know where it goes. I think it is a 66 from 1926- #ab101576. The more I clean the more there is to clean. How do you get rid of the kerosene smell? Thanks so much.
Pin might be from the tension - poke it in the hole and see if it fits. .
I can't find the hole you are talking about. Can someone help this poor, ole quilter please. Thank you...
I am looking at the front of your tension. There is a threaded post. The post is split. Poke the pin between the split pieces of the post - it might just fit. I'm not sure which end goes first without a diagram - there usually is a diagram in your manual.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
Miriam this is so funny, although, I think I'd have called the authorities just to protect myself! I have gotten poison oak so bad so many times that now I am not allergic to it. When we first bought our ranch there was a ton of poison oak - after years of clearing it away -- getting it all over my body - we have gotten rid of most of it, and I don't get it any more. I can go riding and pull it off the trail with my bare hands! I love it! That is nasty stuff!

Nancy
Nancy
Its funny when I read that I thought you were telling Miriam to call the police about the poison IVY lol. I am thinking they cant do anything about that. I had to re read her post several times before I got it

Not on my A game today
This is getting less and less funny - it's all over every where. AND the pictures aren't quite the same as the ones on the net - no jagged teeth on the leaves. I hate to take a cutting in to the garden store and ask if it is some kind of herb or call the cops and have them arrest me... it's in my house next door's yard too... sure is pretty and smells good.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts

Nancy
Nancy

Not on my A game today
This is getting less and less funny - it's all over every where. AND the pictures aren't quite the same as the ones on the net - no jagged teeth on the leaves. I hate to take a cutting in to the garden store and ask if it is some kind of herb or call the cops and have them arrest me... it's in my house next door's yard too... sure is pretty and smells good.

If you have a picture and you want you can email me it just PM me and I will give you my email address. I unfortunately know what they look like. My brother had a "green thumb" in high school lol
Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 AM

I have a manual being mailed to me..guess I will have to wait. I found the threaded split post but that part of the machine was not assembled when this part fell out. Thanks anyway!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I love that quilt shop in Seeley Lake, MT. In 2005 my friend and I set off from SE KS for Bozeman, MT for the Quilting in the Country outdoor quilt show. We had a blast just the two of us old broads. We were gone 11 days and we camped along the way and had a wonderful time. Our husbands were quite shocked when we actually pulled out of the driveway and waved. They didn't think we'd do it.
I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
I love to read these stories! I can just picture you and your friend having a blast - no jobs, no housework, no yard work, no HUSBANDs to worry about, no worries ! I want to come next time!

Nancy
Me too!! I'm a camper from way back....still go with just DD and grandbabies. It's so fun!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I found the 401 and am bidding on it. I bet it will go up tomorrow, but who knows. AnnieRose is still making some strange noises. I want another slant needle now that I'm addicted. I sew on one from the 400 series at quilt guild and I like it.

I am surprised at the FWs. Do the prices skyrocket at the end? Of course some aren't identified as FWs.
I noticed the prices are rather low, too, but one of them is right up there, and another is going up. I think shopgoodwill.com is one place you can find bargains on FWs if you get the right one and aren't afraid of some minor repairs. Most people don't bid if it needs any repair.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 AM

Well I wasn't out junkin today, but on our way to the store - I wanted to go a long back road - we spotted a 'Barn Sale' sign so pulled in to see what they had.

They had tons of stuff, but I had to ask if there were any old sewing machines. This lady said yes, she had her Mother's portable machine in the house along with it's table. I immediately thought FW and asked to see the machine! Anyway, to make a long story short this is what I got for $125 - allotted on February 15, 1939, a FW with her card like table, her attachments, and the power cord/foot pedal. We have to replace the power cord. I was, and still am, really excited and guilty feeling because I didn't tell her what she had! I just gave her the $125, got the machine and table, thanked her, and left! I was not even trying to find another FW!

Nancy

I posted her picture in the photo shop too! The machine behind the FW is my Singer 15-88 treadle.
Wow girl!! How lucky are you!!! Don't feel guilty. She set a price and you paid it. I'm sure she's happy with getting her full price.