Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-03-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
I thought I remembered that it wasn't critical, but I didn't remember the recommendations for care. I'll be better prepared to service it next time I open it. A campground with nothing but a box of pins, a screw driver and a scrap of toilet paper may not have been the optimum cleaning opportunity. However, I was between projects, had the time, the lube and the oil.

An old t-shirt, tooth brush and machine lint brush are the tools I use for the vintage ladies. I wondered if my life would be easier if I used a gun cleaning kit. The circular brush on a longer handle sounds like a friend to my knuckles. Pros & cons?
I use pipe cleaners, they work great to get into tight places and don't leave link like Q tips would. I also use 1/2" to 1" paint brushes to help get the gunk out. Also, a really good pointed pair of long tweezers! I have never tried a gun cleaning kit, but that might be an option too!

Nancy
Old 05-03-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine
Um... why isn't there a separate board for this topic? 1009 pages? (If I'm beating a dead horse, my apologies.)

I posted a vintage question and request for help here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-120349-1.htm

Thanks for your help. I *really* want/need to lower my dogs!!!

Thanks! - jillaine
Jillaine, I hope someone here is able to help you, I can't help with that model.

Dirty1mom, did you look underneath the machine on the bed. The serial numbers are sometimes engraved on the metal under the machine - but, remember there are part numbers there too so make sure the number you find is actually on the underside of the machine - not on a part.

Nancy
Old 05-03-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by jillaine
Um... why isn't there a separate board for this topic? 1009 pages? (If I'm beating a dead horse, my apologies.)

I posted a vintage question and request for help here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-120349-1.htm

Thanks for your help. I *really* want/need to lower my dogs!!!

Thanks! - jillaine
Jillaine, I hope someone here is able to help you, I can't help with that model.

Dirty1mom, did you look underneath the machine on the bed. The serial numbers are sometimes engraved on the metal under the machine - but, remember there are part numbers there too so make sure the number you find is actually on the underside of the machine - not on a part.

Nancy
Yes, I looked on the bottom after I took the bottom cover off. There is a number there but it looks like a part number. It kind of runs in sequence with the other stamped part numbers I found on a lot of the parts.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:11 AM

I still don't understand why I brought this home. $10.00 seemed like a good price, but I didn't need the thing. Do you think I might be addicted or something?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by misseva
As you can see from the front of the machine - it was just - black. If you look real close it appears to have a label (?) on the front. I failed to take a pix from the back that showed the LaRaine logo. And when I started cleaning the place on the front that was solid black I detected the Honeymoon logo. Same thing on the back, when I started cleaning the LaReine logo it came off and the Honeymoon logo was there. I supposed it was sold by a department store. It had LaReine, LaReine, La. on it. I couldn't find anything about it in my internet search. I am attaching a picture on the cabinet. I can't believe I didn't take a pix of the back!!!! Thought sure I had
Miss Eva, wow what a mystery. I hope Miss Johnny or Billy understands why this machine had one name on top of the other name -- talk about a badged machine -- that is a little different! Oh and your cabinet is really nice too!

I hope someone sheds some light on this machine with Honeymoon under the LaRaine. I have not found a machine with two different names on it, one covering the other? Pretty interesting for sure.

Nancy
Thanks, I felt like LaReine, LA indicated that it was a department store or somesuch but had no success in my search.

I also ruined the decals because I thought the 'funny' looking decals were tarnished. Guess not!! aghhh. Anyway, I've got to get her up & running. A dear friend of mine who is 87 gave her to me and it was her grandmother's who died in early 1930s. Can't figure out where/how she got the machine as she was raised in and around McCrory, AR all her life. Thanks for your information. I think it is a Davis machine.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Billy told me that I just joined the Paw Foot crowd. I just bought a Jones and Company 1890 sewing machine. It will be delivered Tuesday afternoon. I can hardly wait. I bought four machines from this gentleman. I am excited. :-D I need another machine like I need a hole in my head. That will make 14 machines for me. Hubby is saying where are you going to put them. Kathie
Congratulations Kathie, let me know if you want me to post pictures of your new machines for you!

Nancy
Old 05-03-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I still don't understand why I brought this home. $10.00 seemed like a good price, but I didn't need the thing. Do you think I might be addicted or something?
Yes, I definitely think you are addicted and the price was right! Jot down the number you think is the serial number, it will be on the actual underside of the machine on the bars or bed, not on one of the long rods, and look it up to see if the number fits a serial number sequence.

Nancy
Old 05-03-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
Thanks, I felt like LaReine, LA indicated that it was a department store or somesuch but had no success in my search.

I also ruined the decals because I thought the 'funny' looking decals were tarnished. Guess not!! aghhh. Anyway, I've got to get her up & running. A dear friend of mine who is 87 gave her to me and it was her grandmother's who died in early 1930s. Can't figure out where/how she got the machine as she was raised in and around McCrory, AR all her life. Thanks for your information. I think it is a Davis machine.
Yes, Honeymoon is a Davis! Well, whatever it says, the machine is really nice and I am glad you got her! I was really bummed when I cleaned my Davis and all the decals came off - I have since decided that Betty looks better all black than with patchy decals anyway. At least your decals are still there and very pretty!

Nancy
Old 05-03-2011, 05:28 AM

Quick note to all Memphis folks. There is a thrift store at the corner of White Station Rd and Summer called Thrift town. They have what I think is a 66 in a cabinet, with a motor, but no cord or foot. It's free wheeling and seems ok and the price is $19.99, I'm just not looking for 66. Hope someone can adopt her.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by littleone
Well I've searched on the net all day looking for information on my old singer machines. The treadle (Sherrie) has been with me for 10 years She has a broken belt so don't know how she stitches. the number on the front of her is G4382141, she came with lots of attachments. The singer 414G I picked up today from a lady who is moving out of the city. Came with the manual, original parts, zig zag attachment, lots of bobbins. The lady bought the machine in Germany while stationed over there. I am wanting to know how old the machines are, where I can find a belt for the treadle and how to put the belt on.
Very nice machines! I really like the Model 127 Sphinx from 1915! The cabinet is really nice too! I know nothing about the 414G?, but it is a pretty machine too.

Nancy