Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-20-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Hello everyone, I need an answer to this question. Will a singer monogramer model 750 fit on any slant needle sewing machine such as a 301 or 402? I have been on the web for hours and can't find an answer. Thank you all very much.
Trish the monogrammer I use all the time on my 503a Rocketeer is the one that says, "use with 750 series machines." The number of the monogrammer box (part no) is No. 171256. The unit just says "Monogrammer by Singer" on the top of the box and "Singer Monogrammer for Slant Needle Zig Zag Sewing Machines" on the end of the box. The attachments that fit on the 503a also fit the 400 series machines. I don't know about the 301 as I do not have a 301 to try it on.

Nancy
I have been told that all the slant shanks take all the same attachments, but I haven't tested that information!! Let us know, because I have a 301 and would like to know for sure before I buy a lot of attachments.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
Hello - I've been thinking for quite some time about purchasing a Featherweight, and finally took the plunge. I bought it from a local semi-retired sewing machine repairman who had advertised it on Kiji (similar to Craigslist). It's serial # is EH893383, which from what I've found on the internet means it was made in Scotland in 1951, am I correct? Anyway, both the machine and the case are in A-1 shape, but there is a musty smell inside the case (therefore right now the machine smell that way too). I put a little Lysol in some water, and used a damp rag to wipe the surface dirt of the inside and outside of the case, and dried it immediately. Now I have sprayed a clean rag well with Heavy Duty Febreeze, and have placed it in a small bowl which I have put into the case. I've propped the lid open slightly and am hoping that the smell may lessen. Any other tips for deodorizing the case?
Nice looking Featherweight!! The case stinks because they used glue that has aged in an undesirable manner. Usually airing it helps, but also put a dryer sheet in the bottom of it and leave it there. I heard this works good, too.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:42 AM

Here's a 99 in Tracy, CA for sale for $30 with a foot pedal. That definately a good deal!!

http://centralvalley.ebayclassifieds...ne/?ad=4728187
Old 05-20-2011, 10:45 AM

[
A few of them will not have wicks in them. If you have some missing wicks it will not hurt but you can make some out of wool felt.

Congratulations on the 301!!

Billy[/quote]

Billy,

Thanks for the info on the 301 wicks
Peg
Old 05-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

Hello everyone, I need an answer to this question. Will a singer monogramer model 750 fit on any slant needle sewing machine such as a 301 or 402? I have been on the web for hours and can't find an answer. Thank you all very much.
yes - get a T shaped feed dog plate
Old 05-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Last night, in one of my NOT so bright of moments, I drove 80 miles each way to get a model 15-91. I found it on CL and when they told me their address I didn't think (a problem my DW says I have alot) how far it was. Well anyway when I got there it was a 15-91 in the blond cabinet. Serial number AK660023 making it in lot 15 Nov 51. last week I bought a 201-2 in the same style cabinet only mahogany. If I can get them cleaned up this week I will post pictures.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
yes - get a T shaped feed dog plate

For those of us still learning the ins and outs of a slant machine (like me), would you be so kind to post a pic of the T shaped feed dog plate. For some reason I just cannot picture what you are describing.

Thank you and blessings to you,
Sandi
I must be having a blonde senior moment.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:41 AM

I'm only "guessing" but I'm thinking a lot of those type of accessories are not going to work on the 301 because it does not zigzag. Because I don't know for sure I will only buy off of ebay things that specify for a 301.

Of course NOW I have a 500A and a 503A so I can buy for those machines :).

I'm kind of bummed because my local sewing machine store that I bought my Brother from a few years ago has apparantly moved or closed. I had decided to take my machines 1 or 2 at a time over there for a service call. I'm to impatient to figure out the WHY's of things not working correctly...lol
Old 05-20-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
I'm only "guessing" but I'm thinking a lot of those type of accessories are not going to work on the 301 because it does not zigzag. Because I don't know for sure I will only buy off of ebay things that specify for a 301.

Of course NOW I have a 500A and a 503A so I can buy for those machines :).
The attachments move the fabric, the needle does not move. You do need a plate to cover the feed, that is what a T-plate does. Singer made a Zig-Zag attachment for a straight stitch machine at one time that works the same way - it moves the fabric back and forth.

Feed Cover Plate (T-Plate)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]199707[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-199701.jpe  
Old 05-20-2011, 12:47 PM

I think I'll check all 3 out!! Never hurts to "Look" right? LOL
I will have a little time this weekend, maybe. Grandson is in baseball tournaments!

I like the one in the cabinet, too for $50. I may have talked to the lister before but didn't have a chance to go see him.

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by incoming2me
Originally Posted by Nanamoms
I found this on our local Craig's List. Asking $175. Haven't talked to them yet re: details so wanted to see if anyone can tell brand/model by the photos?

Thanks for any info you can give me. I have decisions to make on a couple of others by tomorrow nite. (sigh)

http://jackson.craigslist.org/atq/2390482085.html
Looks like a model 15 because the tension control is on the face plate. I could be wrong..

However.. I saw these at great prices:
http://jackson.craigslist.org/atq/2333381913.html
http://jackson.craigslist.org/art/2368312947.html

I'd love either of those!

(P.S. I grew up in Jackson!)
good prices - check the 401 over real good to make sure the thing isn't locked up - some where after page 1000 on here I have a check list for buying those...