Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1616 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 616 1116 1516 1566 1606 1615 1616 1617 1626 1666 1716 ... LastLast
Results 40,376 to 40,400 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #40376
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Nancy said, "I finally have it cleaned up and moving freely - well everything but the feed dog drop. That was frozen solid. With lots and lots of oil and my DH's brute strength we finally got it moving if we push hard on the bar on the underside of the machine at the same time pushing the thumb screw. That part is still pretty frozen."

    I have found that those tend to stay frozen the longest on about any machine, too. Some times you would think it is the knob or push buttons that are frozen... You can stand the machine on end, drop in some T-F oil on the pointy end and in between cracks, let it set overnight. Next day use heat if necessary. Picture of the pointy part that needs some Tri-Flow oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  2. #40377
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    That beast was gunked up - T-F cracks and that bullet thing - stand on end one way then another with fresh T-F - you may also need some kind of solvent - be very careful not to breathe that stuff.
    Name:  Domestic's feed dog drop thing 008.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  126.2 KB
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  3. #40378
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    Miriam, If you are able to work the knob and it is on it's side like this, try oiling it where I indicated and moving the knob back and forth. It helps speed things along getting things moving. ... Then get a Marlboro.
    ~G~

    Name:  Miriams feed dog drop thing.JPG
Views: 290
Size:  192.5 KB

  4. #40379
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Miriam, If you are able to work the knob and it is on it's side like this, try oiling it where I indicated and moving the knob back and forth. It helps speed things along getting things moving. ... Then get a Marlboro.
    ~G~

    Name:  Miriams feed dog drop thing.JPG
Views: 290
Size:  192.5 KB
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!! then just tilt the machine so oil goes into those two end places. sometimes heat helps - Marlboro heat??? - force not so good...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  5. #40380
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Miriam and Grant thank you! I had the machine tilted with the underneath up when I was oiling everying that looked like it should move!. This machine is the gunkiest machine I have ever had - and you all know how many machines I have bought in the last few years! It is like oil was baked onto this machine - not on top, just underneath! I litterly scraped off gunk with a knife! I am still using sewing machine oil, but you have convinced me to finally order some Tri Flow!

    Last night I finally got the feed dog drop mechanism to move - only with help both on top and underneath, but it still won't move unless I physically push/pull the bar underneath.

    Cathy, I changed the orientation of the needle several times. In the manual it appears to thread right to left. I kept moving the needle ever so slightly until I finally got the needle to pick up the bobbin thread. It should stitch now, but the feed dogs were stuck down. I had to remove the feed dogs and play with the bar underneath that releases and sets them. I got it unstuck, the feeddogs popped up, but now they are stuck up! It was late, so I haven't tried to sew yet! Today, hopefully I can actually get a stitch!

    Nancy

  6. #40381
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Miriam, If you are able to work the knob and it is on it's side like this, try oiling it where I indicated and moving the knob back and forth. It helps speed things along getting things moving. ... Then get a Marlboro.
    ~G~

    Name:  Miriams feed dog drop thing.JPG
Views: 290
Size:  192.5 KB
    Hummmmm, better yet what about getting the Marlboro MAN! I didn't say that! My DH is great!

    Nancy

  7. #40382
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    Nancy, I was reluctant to get some Tri-flow but now that I have tried it, I can say that it is better than regular oil on stuck or seized parts. I will continue to use Singer Oil for regular stuff but the Tri-Flow is much better for the things you are describing.
    ~G~

  8. #40383
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Nancy, I was reluctant to get some Tri-flow but now that I have tried it, I can say that it is better than regular oil on stuck or seized parts. I will continue to use Singer Oil for regular stuff but the Tri-Flow is much better for the things you are describing.
    ~G~
    Yup T-F and some patience. That one in the pic was pretty gunked up as you can see - T-F saved the day. I did clean some more on it but the T-F did get it moving after some time.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  9. #40384
    Junior Member makitmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    262
    not sure this has been posted before....

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/12006778...earch_type=all
    Cil



    I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!


    (proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

  10. #40385
    Super Member Caroline S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
    not sure this has been posted before....

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/12006778...earch_type=all
    OMG, cat yak.
    Sweet Caroline

  11. #40386
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    422
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
    not sure this has been posted before....

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/12006778...earch_type=all
    No thank you!

  12. #40387
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,290
    Quote Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
    not sure this has been posted before....
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/12006778...earch_type=all
    Ok, this goes to prove my Best Friend's Dads old saying "nail any two things together that have never been nailed together before and some schmuck will buy it"

  13. #40388
    Junior Member makitmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    262
    so if nailing 2 things is good, nailing 15 is 'gooder'?
    Cil



    I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!


    (proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

  14. #40389
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
    not sure this has been posted before....

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/12006778...earch_type=all
    That is disgusting! But, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder - someone else may love it!

    Nancy

  15. #40390
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    [QUOTE=Mizkaki;5839156]Nancy,

    I doubt that this machine takes the 12x1. I haven't seen this machine in person so I am using an educated guess about the needle . I believe that it should take a DBx1. The 16X1 needle is the same length as the DBx1, 16x231 and 15x1. BTW did you orient the needle so that the long groove is to the left and thread it left to right? The needles that I gave you are round shank and the orientation must be done with care. If you did orient it correctly and it still doesn't pick up the bobbin thread, try scooting the needle down a tiny bit.
    If all else fails, I will be home on Friday and will be glad to find you the correct needle.

    Cathy

    Yipppppeeeeee! My Adler is sewing a perfect stitch! Cathy, I should never never question you! I found an old needle case in the drawers of the Adler cabinet. The needles are 287WH/1738 Nadeln. I googled that size and Schmetz came back that the 287WH/1738 is the same as a 16x231 or DBx1. So I put in one of your 16/231's and of course I had a perfect stitch - I could have gotten a perfect stitch all along, but I had to play with the orientation of the needle. This Adler has a full reverse just like a modern machine! I am still having trouble with the feed dog drop, but that will come.

    Cathy, do you have a free motion needle spring you will sell me for this machine? I think, it would be fun to dabble a little in FM with the Adler.

    Nancy

  16. #40391
    Super Member JudyTheSewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Yipppppeeeeee! My Adler is sewing a perfect stitch!
    Nancy
    That is so great! Congratulations. That is a machine I would be proud to have in my home.

  17. #40392
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern CA near Sacramento
    Posts
    1,105
    Nancy,

    I am soooo glad that the Adler is stitching. You will love it. Those German machine are awesome!!

    Yup, I do have spring needles in size 12 and 14.

    Cathy

    [QUOTE=BoJangles;5840471]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Nancy,

    I doubt that this machine takes the 12x1. I haven't seen this machine in person so I am using an educated guess about the needle . I believe that it should take a DBx1. The 16X1 needle is the same length as the DBx1, 16x231 and 15x1. BTW did you orient the needle so that the long groove is to the left and thread it left to right? The needles that I gave you are round shank and the orientation must be done with care. If you did orient it correctly and it still doesn't pick up the bobbin thread, try scooting the needle down a tiny bit.
    If all else fails, I will be home on Friday and will be glad to find you the correct needle.

    Cathy

    Yipppppeeeeee! My Adler is sewing a perfect stitch! Cathy, I should never never question you! I found an old needle case in the drawers of the Adler cabinet. The needles are 287WH/1738 Nadeln. I googled that size and Schmetz came back that the 287WH/1738 is the same as a 16x231 or DBx1. So I put in one of your 16/231's and of course I had a perfect stitch - I could have gotten a perfect stitch all along, but I had to play with the orientation of the needle. This Adler has a full reverse just like a modern machine! I am still having trouble with the feed dog drop, but that will come.

    Cathy, do you have a free motion needle spring you will sell me for this machine? I think, it would be fun to dabble a little in FM with the Adler.

    Nancy
    Cathy

    "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

  18. #40393
    Super Member Crossstitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,059
    Blog Entries
    7
    Nice going Nancy, let us see some pictures of the stitches.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

    Trish

  19. #40394
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
    Nice going Nancy, let us see some pictures of the stitches.
    Thank you Trish, Cathy, and Judy! I will post photos of the Adler soon. I am sanding the cabinet. I want to do a light re-finish on the top - it is pretty beat up but no veneer missing or chips.

    Cathy if you are coming on the 16th? I will pay you for the needles and I'd like to purchase a spring needle. Probably the 12. I lucked out with this Adler, I have a ton of DBx1 needles that came with my Hitachi treadle. I didn't realize the 16x231 and DBx1 are the same needle! Always something to learn and I love it! I can't wait to get the Adler cabinet re-finished and ready to bring in the house! I just love that Adler! It is so cool to have a reverse on a treadle! Cathy, I checked all my treadles and the Adler is the only one with the large and small belt groove for fast and slow treadling!

    Nancy

  20. #40395
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern CA near Sacramento
    Posts
    1,105
    Nancy,

    The difference between the DBx1 and 16x231 and 16x257 is the scarf or lack of one and possibly the tip length.
    most of the time they are interchangeable. The exception is a zigzag machine that uses this style needle won't work with the non-scarfed versions.

    Yes, I will be there on the 16th. The needles I gave you last month were a gift. No payment will be accepted.

    Cathy


    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Thank you Trish, Cathy, and Judy! I will post photos of the Adler soon. I am sanding the cabinet. I want to do a light re-finish on the top - it is pretty beat up but no veneer missing or chips.

    Cathy if you are coming on the 16th? I will pay you for the needles and I'd like to purchase a spring needle. Probably the 12. I lucked out with this Adler, I have a ton of DBx1 needles that came with my Hitachi treadle. I didn't realize the 16x231 and DBx1 are the same needle! Always something to learn and I love it! I can't wait to get the Adler cabinet re-finished and ready to bring in the house! I just love that Adler! It is so cool to have a reverse on a treadle! Cathy, I checked all my treadles and the Adler is the only one with the large and small belt groove for fast and slow treadling!

    Nancy
    Last edited by Mizkaki; 02-05-2013 at 07:00 PM.
    Cathy

    "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

  21. #40396
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,136
    EEEWWWW dog barf! Looks like somebody steam punked it. Such a travesty!
    Sharon
    Quote Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
    not sure this has been posted before....

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/12006778...earch_type=all

  22. #40397
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,136
    Nancy,
    Congrats on getting the Adler to sew!!! I think that's the best part of rehabbing these old machines.
    I felt the same way after I got the Singer 115 all freed up and sewing.
    Sharon

  23. #40398
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,598
    Sharon-Is it steam punked or as my friend calls such styling "steam puked"? Glopping things together doesn't seem very artistic to me, but someone will like it.

  24. #40399
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    EEEWWWW dog barf! Looks like somebody steam punked it. Such a travesty!
    Sharon
    Sharon, I need to ask you a couple questions about my Pfaff 60! I have 11 Pfaffs. All my vintage Pfaffs use the same bobbin, but the 60. It takes a class 15? My manual actually mentions the 60 as an industrial treadle. My 60 had a motor added so it is not in a treadle, but my question is do you know why this Pfaff uses a class 15 bobbin and all the others use the same Pfaff bobbin and bobbin case. It intriques me to find a Pfaff from the same era (made in Germany) as my 130, 1222e, 230, 360's, 260 that has a different bobbin case and bobbin? I mean I just found out that not all Singer 306's use flat cams, but it really blew me away to see this Pfaff using a class 15 bobbin?

    By the way, I just finished piecing a back for one of my unfinished strip quilts with the 60. It sews very nice like all my Pfaffs.

    Sharon, I know you treadle a 60 - any insights? I don't remember if your 60 came as a treadle, or you did a motorectomy and made it a treadle?

    Nancy

  25. #40400
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,290
    "motorectomy" - ..is now in my lexicon..... love it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.