Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-20-2011, 06:55 AM

It is not camping if you run a generator or have electricity. LOL
Old 05-20-2011, 07:01 AM

Hello everyone, I need an answer to this question. Will a singer monogramer model 750 fit on any slant needle sewing machine such as a 301 or 402? I have been on the web for hours and can't find an answer. Thank you all very much.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi Nancy, there's been conversation about "blackside" machines and I'm wondering about the "Singer 15" I picked up. You commented about it regarding the Potted vs bolted motors. Are there partial blackside machines? My 15 has the black tensioner ,stitch regulator and the handwheel is all black. the face plate and bobbin cover are chrome.. I think. Would this be considered a blackside? Anne
No, the true blackside machines had all black throat plates, face plates, feet, etc. They were made during the war so the machines would not gleam, is what I was told. I think all blacksides are 99's, at least the ones I have seen are all 99's.

Nancy
Actually they offered Blackside for all of their models and were made up into the early 50's. I have seen a 15, 99, 128 (the most common one seen) and a Featherweight. But your almost right about the reason for the finish Nancy, it was because Nickle was in high demand by the government so they offered the Blackside models to help with the war effort. But you could still get nickle plated machines during the era.

Billy
Old 05-20-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi Nancy, there's been conversation about "blackside" machines and I'm wondering about the "Singer 15" I picked up. You commented about it regarding the Potted vs bolted motors. Are there partial blackside machines? My 15 has the black tensioner ,stitch regulator and the handwheel is all black. the face plate and bobbin cover are chrome.. I think. Would this be considered a blackside? Anne
No, the true blackside machines had all black throat plates, face plates, feet, etc. They were made during the war so the machines would not gleam, is what I was told. I think all blacksides are 99's, at least the ones I have seen are all 99's.

Nancy
Actually they offered Blackside for all of their models and were made up into the early 50's. I have seen a 15, 99, 128 (the most common one seen) and a Featherweight. But your almost right about the reason for the finish Nancy, it was because Nickle was in high demand by the government so they offered the Blackside models to help with the war effort. But you could still get nickle plated machines during the era.

Billy
Hi, My 15 was made in 1950 and it also has a black threadcutter. I was just very curious. Anne
Old 05-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

First of all, I did not read through all of the pages so if this issue has already been addressed than ignore my message. I have a Singer treadle that I've used for about 10 years and I love it. When I first tried to sew with it the thread would be cut going through the single hole plate (only plate I have). I struggled and struggled to no avail until I turned the needle sideways. Yep, I thread it left to right instead of front to back. I haven't had a bit of trouble with it sewing since. Strange but true and maybe this will help someone else.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
Well, I did know about the 128, but I thought all blacksides were the 3/4 sized units! I did not know about the 15 ever being a blackside - interesting! I have never seen a 15 blackside, I will have to be on the lookout for that one in a blackside.

Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 10:05 AM

Hello - I've been thinking for quite some time about purchasing a Featherweight, and finally took the plunge. I bought it from a local semi-retired sewing machine repairman who had advertised it on Kiji (similar to Craigslist). It's serial # is EH893383, which from what I've found on the internet means it was made in Scotland in 1951, am I correct? Anyway, both the machine and the case are in A-1 shape, but there is a musty smell inside the case (therefore right now the machine smell that way too). I put a little Lysol in some water, and used a damp rag to wipe the surface dirt of the inside and outside of the case, and dried it immediately. Now I have sprayed a clean rag well with Heavy Duty Febreeze, and have placed it in a small bowl which I have put into the case. I've propped the lid open slightly and am hoping that the smell may lessen. Any other tips for deodorizing the case?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:06 AM

Hello - I've been thinking for quite some time about purchasing a Featherweight, and finally took the plunge. I bought it from a local semi-retired sewing machine repairman who had advertised it on Kiji (similar to Craigslist). It's serial # is EH893383, which from what I've found on the internet means it was made in Scotland in 1951, am I correct? Anyway, both the machine and the case are in A-1 shape, but there is a musty smell inside the case (therefore right now the machine smell that way too). I put a little Lysol in some water, and used a damp rag to wipe the surface dirt of the inside and outside of the case, and dried it immediately. Now I have sprayed a clean rag well with Heavy Duty Febreeze, and have placed it in a small bowl which I have put into the case. I've propped the lid open slightly and am hoping that the smell may lessen. Any other tips for deodorizing the case?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-199647.jpe   attachment-199648.jpe   attachment-199649.jpe   attachment-199650.jpe   attachment-199651.jpe  

Old 05-20-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Hello everyone, I need an answer to this question. Will a singer monogramer model 750 fit on any slant needle sewing machine such as a 301 or 402? I have been on the web for hours and can't find an answer. Thank you all very much.
Trish the monogrammer I use all the time on my 503a Rocketeer is the one that says, "use with 750 series machines." The number of the monogrammer box (part no) is No. 171256. The unit just says "Monogrammer by Singer" on the top of the box and "Singer Monogrammer for Slant Needle Zig Zag Sewing Machines" on the end of the box. The attachments that fit on the 503a also fit the 400 series machines. I don't know about the 301 as I do not have a 301 to try it on.

Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
It is not camping if you run a generator or have electricity. LOL
DH and I have struck a happy medium...we used to tent camp, now we have a "vintage" tent trailer (pop up) that has electrical hookup that sometimes works/sometimes not. We can go with or without electric....we are so used to using battery everything that we don't care if we can plug in. It's all fun!! :-) Give me propane, batteries and wood, and I'm good to go!!

BTW, I have a model 99 that I want to put a hand crank on to take camping, since our electricity supply is not guaranteed!