Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-27-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
Hey, all-thought I'd drop by for a cup and a chat, if you don't mind. It's nice to have found someone that isn't me or my osmg that's got a kink for old machines. :-)

I have a White (Betty the Backup) that I bought new in 2003 or so, but the older she gets, the finickier she is about bobbins.

So I started looking around for a replacement, and ran into Noriko at the local Salvation Army. Noriko is a Riccar, built in Japan in the mid-60's.

Also from the SA (that place is a goldmine for old sewing machines, definitely!) is a nice little Singer Spartan I found. According to Singer, Fenella was made in 1949. She was frozen when I got her, but a healthy slopping of oil and some patience has got her working again. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of her yet.

My most recent acquisition is a New Willard treadle in a pretty little parlor cabinet from the mid-20's or so. Mrs Willard came from an antique shop, and was still threaded and sewing. The story I got is that she'd been in regular use by the daughter of her original owner until just recently. She's actually the one I have the most trouble with; she sews beautifully, but I forget to keep my feet going, and can't treadle with both feet anyway. That and stopping without letting the treadle rock. I'm working on it. :)

Anyway, thanks for letting me natter. I'm slowly reading my way through the read, but I keep getting hung up on admiring everybody else's pretty machines!
Welcome aboard! Loved your descriptions of the machines and their problems! Loved the pictures too! But, I don't see the Spartan?

Nancy
Old 05-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Banned

Hello gang I have to catch up on the postings here in the shop but low and behold we had a round of storms come through (tornadoes included but none of them touched down around me) but we have been with out power for the last 2 days. It just came on tonite about an hour ago and boy it feels good to have the house up and running!

The nice thing is we didnt have any damage at all except for a few small limbs in the yard.

Billy
Old 05-27-2011, 06:48 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hello gang I have to catch up on the postings here in the shop but low and behold we had a round of storms come through (tornadoes included but none of them touched down around me) but we have been with out power for the last 2 days. It just came on tonite about an hour ago and boy it feels good to have the house up and running!

The nice thing is we didnt have any damage at all except for a few small limbs in the yard.

Billy
yay, glad you're ok! and nice to have power again :) I just posted two new girls on last page, whenever you get a chance, I'd love to know more about them :) now each kid has their very own maching LOL they can leave mine alone!!! (Son wants to get in on the charity quilt action, I think he felt left out)
Old 05-27-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Nancy your clutch purse is too cute! I really like the colors and the fact you did it all on a treadle is pretty impressive. ~ Kathie I am sure yours turned out wonderful too :thumbup:
I promised myself that I would take time this weekend to figure out how to use the binder attachments on my 66 treadle and quilt batting to the backside of some fabric that I want to make into a sling purse. I am not sure about making the purse on the treadle but will definitely use one of the other VSM's that has a reverse. Wished I had a Davis treadle to use... one of these days I might find one needing adopted.

Judy
Come on Judy, you can do the sling purse on a treadle! I know you can! I did the little clutch on a treadle, and it wasn't my 15 - which has a reverse! If I can do it any of you can do it too! Actually, I really didn't think much about the fact that I did it all on the treadle till I was done! Then it was WOW I did the whole purse on a treadle without reverse and it turned out ok! You guys need to jump in and get your feet wet! You probably will be like me and decide that is the only way to go!

Nancy
Old 05-27-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Nancy love your purse and the mini quilts. Oh! heck I like everything you all put on here.

So want to show you 3 bags I made using my vintage machines. I used a 319 for the quilting of the material and a 301 for making the bags. I use the big bags when we go flea marking and carry things to my quilt club. The little bag carries my cross stitch project. Next time I quilt the material for another bag I am going to use one of the treadles I have and learn to use the machine by making straight rows.
Trish I love your bags! Yes, next time use one of your treadles to do the straight grid quilting! It is so satisfying knowing you are sewing the way our grandmothers did! I am in love with whatever machine I am presently using - right now I am using the model 127 sphinx for most of my sewing - so that is the one I am in love with today! Last month I was in love with my Free #5 treadle. I am going to rotate them all in and out of my sewing room until I find out which one I love the most! Of course, that doesn't count my Model 15-88 - that treadle is beyond love - it has reverse!

Nancy
Old 05-27-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by emmah
Thank you. What we got was just a bunch of wind and some hail, but nothing bad. I guess I would rather the weather service be cautious than have no warning.
Yard "sale-ing" today produced 2 vintage sewing machines-$3 apiece-a 15 clone in blue and white named Ambassador, and a green Kenmore that was my first machine--now used by my non quilting sister for mending.
Someone had used some terrible stuff to "oil" the Kenmore, it was slopped all over the machine and was like orange chewing gum. After trying kerosene and liquid wrench to no avail, I finally remembered that ammonia cuts grease very well, so toothbrushed it all over the place. Took hours to get the gummy stuff out and loosen up the machine. Now to oil the machine and put it all back together.
It is so fun!!!
What????? You got a 15 clone for $3? What is wrong with it? When are you going to post pictures? Congratulations!

Nancy
Old 05-27-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Hello fellow members of the the VSMS. I an back from camping and had a great time. Just my luck we had a tornado warning. Got to stencil my bent wood case and do other customer work. Glenn
Was thinking of you and Pat this past week and glad you had a good time! The messages here have grown as fast as the grass, so you have some catching up to do :)

Judy
Old 05-27-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I've been out of the VSMS for a few weeks and will never get caught up with all your posts!

Today I stopped at a moving sale and she had an old Kenmore godzilla finish machine. The cabinet was really raggy, but the machine wasn't too bad. It had some rust but with the godzilla finish it wasn't obvious. She only wanted $20, but as it really wasn't one I was looking to collect, I passed. Now I'm thinking I should have bought it so I could say I own the ugliest sewing machine ever built. It's one of these, but in much worse shape: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1948-Ken...item43a732933e
Geeze Louise! That machine looks like a tank!

Nancy
Old 05-27-2011, 07:08 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I've been out of the VSMS for a few weeks and will never get caught up with all your posts!

Today I stopped at a moving sale and she had an old Kenmore godzilla finish machine. The cabinet was really raggy, but the machine wasn't too bad. It had some rust but with the godzilla finish it wasn't obvious. She only wanted $20, but as it really wasn't one I was looking to collect, I passed. Now I'm thinking I should have bought it so I could say I own the ugliest sewing machine ever built. It's one of these, but in much worse shape: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1948-Ken...item43a732933e
Geeze Louise! That machine looks like a tank!

Nancy
that looks like a different colored version of the Kenmore I just got free for my son (page before this, pictures included) :) its a 117-### with the same cabinet ~ son's is an army greenish color?
Old 05-27-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Guess what I got today? A tan Singer 301A with oodles of attachments, a desk it fits into and some extra bonus attachments. I am in the process of researching the attachments to see what I actually have. The machine has to be thoroughly cleaned though because it has been living with a smoker.

OK, to begin with what is the safest thing to soak the attachments in? Don't know if I will be able to get the odor out of all of the original boxes and manuals but hope so. I am so excited to get it cleaned up so I can sew, sew, sew! Got the zigzagger attachment too! Whoo hoo... :-D

Trust me... photos will follow as soon as I get her cleaned up. Might even name this one. Not normally my habit to. :-D
Hi Linda, it's Linda! Guess what I just paid for? A Singer 301, black, from someone here on the QMB!!! I just fell in love with it, isn't that crazy????? She is going to ship it to me on Tuesday...