Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1676 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 676 1176 1576 1626 1666 1675 1676 1677 1686 1726 1776 ... LastLast
Results 41,876 to 41,900 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

definitely NOT a "salesman's sample" The Model 20 was also known as the sewhandy. It sounds like you have a frame and a handwheel... hehe have you checked ebay? there is a tendency for the rougher model 20's to go quite low cost and sometimes with free shipping.

Blog Entries
    I really have to mention something here about 3and 1 oil. I never use is it on my sewing machines. The original oil for sewing machines was whale oil from the sperm whale. If you think 3and 1 oils is bad try removing whale oil after it sets for years and turns to stone and varnish. Sewing machine oil will will also varnish over after sitting for years as bad as the 3an1 oil. So if the machine is oiled often and used any high grade oil for this purpose will work fine. Why did they use whale oil because that was a light weight oil and cheap for the time. Any machine that sits unused for decades will be gunk up by varnish oil. That being said the sewing machine oil from singer is not much diff than 3 an1. They both have parifin in them. I use clock oil and it will not get hard and stop a clock. Just my opinion and observation. Tri-flow is good to. I guess what I am saying is the old machines we clean up and get sewing have been sitting for years and they are just dirty from old oil(of any kind) so we have to blame it on something. Not to mention the dirt and bugs and mice stuff found in them.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    overnight at Kaiser's Hilton for pneumonia and sepsis. But they treated me like royalty. I'm WAY better now.

Cathy
    Oh Cathy, that's awful!! So glad to hear you're feeling better. I've just finished a round of antibiotics for a throat infection... nothing worse than being sick. It's a shame about your vacation

Blog Entries
    Nancy,

Thanks for the concern. Yea, heck of a way to spend vacation, overnight at Kaiser's Hilton for pneumonia and sepsis. But they treated me like royalty. I'm WAY better now.

Cathy
    Ok Cathy, I had to look up 'sepsis'! This is what it says in the dictionary, "a poisoning caused by the absorption of pathogenic microorganisms into the blood. " Wow, it sounds bad! Glad you are feeling better!

Nancy

Dear Cathy please get better soon
    Kasey 1937 221-1 Featherweight, Red Eye Singer Treadle 66-1, 2 301's both long and short bed, 403, Free Number 5 Treadle, Jones hand crank Kenmore 158 19131, Viking Lilly 555

Thank you all for your concern.
    As soon as I get through some more tests and get off these darn antibiotics and their nasty side-effects, I'm sure I will be back to 'slinging', machines again.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
    Dear Cathy please get better soon
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Hi everyone, I have a 185 Singer question. It is in rough shape, but I think it can be saved. Right now I'm trying to clear the bobbin. There seems to be some red wool or something caught in a small spring on the outside of the case. I don't think it is one of those felt wicks, but so far I've pulled out about a dime's worth of red and black "fabric". Didn't want to pull it all out if its supposed to be in there. Maybe someone who's worked on one can tell me what's what. Thanks, Bobbie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grannysewer View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a 185 Singer question. It is in rough shape, but I think it can be saved. Right now I'm trying to clear the bobbin. There seems to be some red wool or something caught in a small spring on the outside of the case. I don't think it is one of those felt wicks, but so far I've pulled out about a dime's worth of red and black "fabric". Didn't want to pull it all out if its supposed to be in there. Maybe someone who's worked on one can tell me what's what. Thanks, Bobbie
    There is a little spring with a little red oil wick in the bobbin area.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    As soon as I get through some more tests and get off these darn antibiotics and their nasty side-effects, I'm sure I will be back to 'slinging', machines again.

Cathy
    The machines can wait until you feel a lot better - but you are allowed to go stroke a couple if you want to...

Blog Entries
    Miriam, do you think I should take the assembly out and clean or just use Q-tips and oil? It seemed to rubbing and causing the wheel not to turn smoothly is why I was cleaning out the red felt.

Blog Entries
    Miriam, do you think I should take the assembly out and clean or just use Q-tips and oil? It seemed to rubbing and causing the wheel not to turn smoothly is why I was cleaning out the red felt.
    There is info how to take that all apart - I usually have to - they have a tendency to really clog full of lint - just about enough to knit a sweater... I don't know if this manual will help or not... http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/ Singer 66, 99 or 185 works - I'm thinking Tammi had some comments about taking those apart somewhere - maybe it was her blog - if you can find a mascara brush it gets down in there - Harbor Freight has a set of little brushes that get in there pretty good too - mostly they have to come apart. I guess that is why I like the 15s.

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much. I have a service manual, but it just hits the high spots. And it doesn't say anything about the felt wicks. Guess we're not supposed to do it ourselves, let the experts do it for us. This machine has been in storage for several years and has a lot of rust and crude to clear out.

Blog Entries

Cathy
    Take your time and gather up your strength again before you start too much "slinging". This illness surely must have taken a lot out of you. We want you to be strong and ready to take on those old ladies again but only when you feel really good. Don't push yourself too much!
    Donna

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much. I have a service manual, but it just hits the high spots. And it doesn't say anything about the felt wicks. Guess we're not supposed to do it ourselves, let the experts do it for us. This machine has been in storage for several years and has a lot of rust and crude to clear out.
    I cleaned up a 99 last week - it was so impacted I couldn't get the bobbin holder out - I kept at bit with Harbor Freight brushes I got out enough lint to get the BH out then found more lint in there - it's a wonder it turned - plenty of rust - I need a new throat plate and slide plate for it, too. The tension was pretty messed up. Makes me think the dumb thing was so full of lint it wouldn't sew so they figured it was a bad tension... motor is shot... BUT once I got the tension reworked and got it cleaned up it sews like new. I put a finger guard on it & let my DGKs sew on card paper with a HC - they were thrilled.

Yes, I am a lurked, I also own a few oldies but goodies. Actually betters. Why in the pic are the quilting done towards the inside of the machine and not the outside?

Blog Entries
    Well, I fell off the wagon today and bought a Signature from probably the 60's. I walked into a Thrift store and there is was in a nice carry out case. The machine is in great shape, doesn't appear to have been used much at all. No tell tale scratches. I cleaned and oiled her. I am now piecing together a cheater panel and borders for a quilt to put in a camper we just bought so I can go horse camping with the grandkids and friends. I have always avoided the Signature, and Kenmore machines. Today in a weak moment, it was only $20 - I just couldn't pass this one up. I have to admit I am impressed with this machine. It only has 1 cam, it zig zags, has a button hole knob, drops its feed dogs - which, at the present time are stuck up, and it sews really nice - smooth and quiet! Now, I want to find some more cams and see what all this machine can do. Oh and Cathy, it was made by the 'Happy" company. I think I remember you talking about that a while back?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Well, I fell off the wagon today and bought a Signature from probably the 60's. I walked into a Thrift store and there is was in a nice carry out case. The machine is in great shape, doesn't appear to have been used much at all. No tell tale scratches. I cleaned and oiled her. I am now piecing together a cheater panel and borders for a quilt to put in a camper we just bought so I can go horse camping with the grandkids and friends. I have always avoided the Signature, and Kenmore machines. Today in a weak moment, it was only $20 - I just couldn't pass this one up. I have to admit I am impressed with this machine. It only has 1 cam, it zig zags, has a button hole knob, drops its feed dogs - which, at the present time are stuck up, and it sews really nice - smooth and quiet! Now, I want to find some more cams and see what all this machine can do. Oh and Cathy, it was made by the 'Happy" company. I think I remember you talking about that a while back?

Nancy
    Nancy, I wonder if I have it's twin! I have a MW made by Happy I got on auction - it only has one cam - zz - it seems like it is metal. You can get the feed dog thing to move - T-F the bejeebers out of the thing under there and then let it have time out. More T-F and time out.... Maybe some heat if you get desperate... Mine seems to be a very nice machine, too - kinda heavy. I'll try to shoot it some time.

Nancy,

Let me see a few pictures of the one cam that you have. I can probably match it.
    Yes, I do have a beautiful MW ZZ by Happy Sewing Machine Co. in my universal treadle.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post

Nancy
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    I was thinking it would treadle. I think some of those MW machines are pretty nice machines.

Mine is one smooth machine. Easy conversion. Just took the motor off and used the original hand wheel.
    Here's a picture. The bright white knob on the top is a window crank knob from the hardware store. It is replacing the button hole pot metal knob that was disintegrating.
    Name:  2013-06-29 19.04.26.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  97.2 KB

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I was thinking it would treadle. I think some of those MW machines are pretty nice machines.
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    Mine is one smooth machine. Easy conversion. Just took the motor off and used the original hand wheel.
    Here's a picture. The bright white knob on the top is a window crank knob from the hardware store. It is replacing the button hole pot metal knob that was disintegrating.
    Name:  2013-06-29 19.04.26.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  97.2 KB

Cathy
    Ours don't match.
    I wonder what kind of knob would substitute on a missing Singer 401 piggy nose knob???

Probably only one from a donor.

Cathy

Ours don't match.
    I wonder what kind of knob would substitute on a missing Singer 401 piggy nose knob???
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    Probably only one from a donor.

Cathy
    hard to find - those don't die easily

I might have a donor machine. I'll check when I have the energy to go into the hot garage. The temp was 105 or more today. The lungs aren't dealing with that well this week. PM me so I have a reminder.

Cathy

hard to find - those don't die easily
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    I might have a donor machine. I'll check when I have the energy to go into the hot garage. The temp was 105 or more today. The lungs aren't dealing with that well this week. PM me so I have a reminder.

Cathy
    Actually you might be hearing from my sister - she needs one. She reads here but she seldom posts. I may just send her your email. I'm not sure she's done PMs. The sm has set this long - what is a week or two. I've had my share of bronchitis - leaves you weak for a while. I hope those high powered drugs help. Then you have to fix your body some more after the drugs.... I had the bronchitis right before I found out I was expecting my daughter. I had high power drugs, etc, when DH found me on the floor so sick. Then the OB told me to abort my DD. She is 31 YO. She seems to have all her parts... but there have been times....