Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1675 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 675 1175 1575 1625 1665 1674 1675 1676 1685 1725 1775 ... LastLast
Results 41,851 to 41,875 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    I am not a hoarder either, but yesterday while looking for something else, I found a latch set that will fit on my FW case! I was getting ready to order one and my DD came over to work on her machine. I'm so glad she did! Now to get the case repaired so I can attach my "new" latch.

Quote Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
    Wait a minute..... I'm a home ec major...... I clean my machines!!
    Nanna, No worries. I know that my home ec teacher used to maintain, or had the machines in class, maintained regularly too. But I also know Car Mechanics that don't maintain their own cars as often as they should too. I see a lot of people's machines that don't get the maintenance they need. I guess this is a good place to bring that to the attention of the people that don't know.
    This is something I found today while working on a Pfaff 230. I would like to know what they thought when almost a bobbin's worth of thread "disappeared"...
    This is worse than a "felt pad" under the footplate. They HAD to know better!
    ~G~
    Name:  IMG_9877thread in motor.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  407.5 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Nanna, No worries. I know that my home ec teacher used to maintain, or had the machines in class, maintained regularly too. But I also know Car Mechanics that don't maintain their own cars as often as they should too. I see a lot of people's machines that don't get the maintenance they need. I guess this is a good place to bring that to the attention of the people that don't know.
    This is something I found today while working on a Pfaff 230. I would like to know what they thought when almost a bobbin's worth of thread "disappeared"...
    ~G~
    Maybe it is why they parted company with the Pfaff...
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Maybe it is why they parted company with the Pfaff...
    Surprisingly, it ran fine. I didn't even suspect this. It does have a 1.3 amp motor though and shrugged this off. But whoever was there when it was sucking up thread like spaghetti, had to know something. Maybe you are right.
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Surprisingly, it ran fine. I didn't even suspect this. It does have a 1.3 amp motor though and shrugged this off. But whoever was there when it was sucking up thread like spaghetti, had to know something. Maybe you are right.
    ~G~
    probably traded it for a plastic wonder

Blog Entries

Good thing I don't live anywhere close!

Blog Entries
    Grant what an impressive collection of toy machines that lady has! It is hard to believe anyone could have 1,000 machines in their house even if they are TSM's! I have a friend who collects TSM's - I thought she has a lot at over 250 machines! I am going to have to show her the lady with 1,000 of them!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    ~G~
    Ya gotta love those vintage Pfaffs!

Nancy

Nancy and Grant,

I had the pleasure of touring Faye's house during an ISMACS convention a few years ago. She and her husband are very gracious hosts. The whole house is solidly covered in collections. You should see the tool and machine collection in the lower level of the house. One room in the basement had the whole ceiling covered with hanging vintage and antique plumb bobs. TOOLS!! I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Grant what an impressive collection of toy machines that lady has! It is hard to believe anyone could have 1,000 machines in their house even if they are TSM's! I have a friend who collects TSM's - I thought she has a lot at over 250 machines! I am going to have to show her the lady with 1,000 of them!

Nancy
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

hi...good day...
    my dad gave me a sewmor 606 today.. i downloaded a manual and tried to see if parts are complete.

truth is, i have no knowledge about sewing. but i wanted to have a machine i could try practicing with. and so papa bought the sewmore 606. i didnt even know it was from the '50s until i researched it and came across this site.

i guess id just try to run it...but by the way, im from the philippines and we have a 220 volt, and the machine runs on a, 115 v and 1.5 amp.. i converted it to watts and it's 172 watts (please correct me if my numbers are incorrect) so do i need to get a transformer?

pleassseee recommend some good sites for basic sewing...thank you so much.

Nancy
    Nancy, Now is she a hoarder? I say no. I say that she is a collector. That person with the 8 machines? Probably. Also, I love the Vintage Pfaff's.
    Cathy, that must have been even more impressive in person. Lucky you.
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    AW I'll admit it I'm a hoarder. I do fix one up once in a while to sell on CL so I can support my addiction though. Reminds me I need to take pictures and write ads...

Opal, welcome to the board and congrats on your 'new' machine. It's always exciting to me when a new sewer comes on board 'cause that's what I used to do.... teach sewing. I'd rather teach adults than those middle school and high school students from years ago. The adults want to learn, most schoolers just want to be out, doing their thing. Anyway, I would suggest you sign up for an adult class from your local community, or find someone close that could help you as you learn. I think it might be a bit of a struggle if you are on your own without anyone to show you the way. There are some great books out there that can help if you can't find a good sewing friend. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Grant. I am so drooling over that case. Thank God for a business trip and several states between me the case. Dh would surely know I'd lost my mind if I came home with that.
    Chris, That is a double edge sword. Do you buy it and sell some of the contents and let it pay for itself but lessen it as a collection and devalue it in the process, or leave it and be called a hoarder? I would love to have that thing for the shuttles and needles for inventory just in case, but leave it in tact.
    ~G~

Still trying to find a source for 4mm carbon brushes. A1Sewing, what a jooeke. Other guy doesn't answer email or his phone. To timid to order assortment from China. Where to look next. Maybe that guy near Rome that works out of his home. When I'find them, I'll get a bunch cause Japanese made machines are in my future. (Like negotiating for shop space downtown for sewing and quilting club, am I getting serious or what!)
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

funniest online comment ever.... in a discussion about the new marriage laws and the possibility of bigamy laws being next....

"Why any man would get married is a mystery. Why a man would want 2 wives is a bigamystery!"

Quote Originally Posted by opal_sewmore View Post
    hi...good day...
    my dad gave me a sewmor 606 today.. i downloaded a manual and tried to see if parts are complete.

truth is, i have no knowledge about sewing. but i wanted to have a machine i could try practicing with. and so papa bought the sewmore 606. i didnt even know it was from the '50s until i researched it and came across this site.

i guess id just try to run it...but by the way, im from the philippines and we have a 220 volt, and the machine runs on a, 115 v and 1.5 amp.. i converted it to watts and it's 172 watts (please correct me if my numbers are incorrect) so do i need to get a transformer?

pleassseee recommend some good sites for basic sewing...thank you so much.
    Opal,

Welcome to the QB.

The Sewmor 606 is a simple straight stitch machine. It will require periodic oiling and cleaning but otherwise is a sturdy and easy to use machine.
    If you can't find a 220V motor that will fit you'll need to get a voltage converter to drop the voltage down to what the motor can handle. Other wise it will run way to fast and probably burn out.

nanna-up-north is right about taking courses. If that's not possible, then perhaps you can find someone near you that does sew to teach you the basics.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
    Still trying to find a source for 4mm carbon brushes. A1Sewing, what a jooeke. Other guy doesn't answer email or his phone. To timid to order assortment from China. Where to look next. Maybe that guy near Rome that works out of his home. When I'find them, I'll get a bunch cause Japanese made machines are in my future. (Like negotiating for shop space downtown for sewing and quilting club, am I getting serious or what!)
    Did you try Guy Baker?
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    funniest online comment ever.... in a discussion about the new marriage laws and the possibility of bigamy laws being next....

"Why any man would get married is a mystery. Why a man would want 2 wives is a bigamystery!"
    Hehehehehehehe

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Nancy, Now is she a hoarder? I say no. I say that she is a collector. That person with the 8 machines? Probably. Also, I love the Vintage Pfaff's.
    Cathy, that must have been even more impressive in person. Lucky you.
    ~G~
    Cathy, I agree with Grant - I bet you were in heaven at the 'collectors' house! By the way, I heard from a little birdie that you had pneumonia? I hope you are feeling better!

Yes, most people here know I am addicted to the vintage Pfaffs, although, I haven't picked up a new Pfaff or any other vintage machine in a few months. I need to find a new to me toy 'vintage machine' to play with.

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Skip that cabinet and Davis you posted in the photo shop are amazing! I would love to see that cabinet in person!

Grant, that 101 is scary looking? Seriously, do they come like that naked? Yes, I would get that machine in a heart beat if it were within a 100 miles of me, but it looks like something that would eat fingers, fabric, anything within 10 feet of the machine!

Nancy

Skip that cabinet and Davis you posted in the photo shop are amazing! I would love to see that cabinet in person!

Grant, that 101 is scary looking? Seriously, do they come like that naked? Yes, I would get that machine in a heart beat if it were within a 100 miles of me, but it looks like something that would eat fingers, fabric, anything within 10 feet of the machine!

Nancy
    Nancy, That 101 is fantastically beautiful. Scary, yes but I would love to have one. It does kind of look like the Tasmanian Devil of sewing machines though. I saw a manual for one and it looks like it is complete except for a belt guard on the end of it. So, yes. Using it must be kind of like making love to a porcupine. You would just have to be VERY careful.
    Oh, and BTW I just finished up a Pfaff 230 Automatic yesterday.
    ~G~

Nancy,

Thanks for the concern. Yea, heck of a way to spend vacation, overnight at Kaiser's Hilton for pneumonia and sepsis. But they treated me like royalty. I'm WAY better now.

Cathy

Cathy, I agree with Grant - I bet you were in heaven at the 'collectors' house! By the way, I heard from a little birdie that you had pneumonia? I hope you are feeling better!

Yes, most people here know I am addicted to the vintage Pfaffs, although, I haven't picked up a new Pfaff or any other vintage machine in a few months. I need to find a new to me toy 'vintage machine' to play with.

Nancy
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Hi Billy
    I am seeking parts for a Singer No. 20 sewing machine or more commonly called a salesmans sample. Do you know where I could obtain parts for it? I'm missing some screws, the tension, the feed plate and the lifter for the presser foot. Otherwise it is in great shape. I am certainly willing to pay for the parts & shipping. Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by wbocrafter; 06-28-2013 at 07:28 AM.