Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-14-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Hey Glenn--Here is my next machine with the wheel soaking in Evaporust. I can't get the wheel off, so I had to try to derust it this way. She is propped on her side with the wheel in pyrex pie pan. In the morning--no more rust.

Texas Jan

She is an old New Home Ruby. I got her and her treadle cabinet for $5.00. I call her my $5.00 folley. Really sad, but getting there. I also redo cabinets.
Texas Jan where do you find these machines? There are in rough condition but you you have proven you can clean them up and I mean a really good job to. I am furniture restorer by trade and I am looking forward to your progress on the cabinet. This cabinet will be more of a challenge than the machine. Veneering and fabricating wood pieces. But we are Texans and we can do anything. What part of N. Texas are your from I am from Decatur TX. Please email me with pics of your progress would love to see them. PM me and I will send you my email if like. I admire you for good work. Glenn
Thanks Glenn, I'll do that.

The Ruby was in a garage sale. I asked if they had a sewing machine and they said they did in the barn. The little hand crank came from E-bay.

Texas Jan
Old 06-14-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Hey Glenn--Here is my next machine with the wheel soaking in Evaporust. I can't get the wheel off, so I had to try to derust it this way. She is propped on her side with the wheel in pyrex pie pan. In the morning--no more rust.

Texas Jan

She is an old New Home Ruby. I got her and her treadle cabinet for $5.00. I call her my $5.00 folley. Really sad, but getting there. I also redo cabinets.

Instead of being the quiltdoctor. Think you are more like a SM Doctor. They sure look good when you get finished with them. I even bet they feel better with all the TLC.
I studied antique quilts and restoration of quilts in the 1990's. I've always been a tinkerer and a fixer. Thanks for the compliment !!!

Texas Jan
Old 06-14-2011, 06:07 PM

Tex Jan the wheel is rusted to the shaft. After you remove the derusting treatment You can use a small wheel puller to remove the wheel but be very carefull. As you tighten the puller tap the wheel with a wooden mallet or rubber mallet. I have done this several times. You can also use a penatrating oil to loosen the wheel, but you know this already. I really got to get me some evapo-rust!! Glenn
The wheel seems to have two tiny headless screws that are not moving. I figured that they were holding the wheel in place to some extent. I never used a wheel puller. I wouldn't know how. Guess I better start reading up.

Texas Jan
Old 06-14-2011, 06:20 PM

Tex Jan the wheel is rusted to the shaft. After you remove the derusting treatment You can use a small wheel puller to remove the wheel but be very carefull. As you tighten the puller tap the wheel with a wooden mallet or rubber mallet. I have done this several times. You can also use a penatrating oil to loosen the wheel, but you know this already. I really got to get me some evapo-rust!! Glenn
The wheel seems to have two tiny headless screws that are not moving. I figured that they were holding the wheel in place to some extent. I never used a wheel puller. I wouldn't know how. Guess I better start reading up.

Texas Jan
That could be the problem, but I would think the the wheel could be desingaged so you can wind bobbins and the needle would be stationary. Since I am not familiar with the Ruby I really don't know. Glenn
Old 06-14-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Okay, I have a dumb question. I know,there is no such thing as a dumb question, but this may be an exception. I am new to this addiction and so far, I only have 4 vintage sewing machines, a FW, a Singer 115 treadle (head only), a Singer Red Eye 66-1 treadle, and a Singer 201 hand crank. I love all of them, but space is a problem. My DH's solution is to sell the 115, remove the 66 from its treadle cabinet and install the 201 hand crank in the treadle cabinet so I can use it as a treadle or a hand crank. Here is my question: If the hand crank is installed in the treadle cabinet, can it be used as either a hand crank or a treadle??? My DH says yes, but I just wouldn't be able to lower the machine into the cabinet, it would just have to stay up all the time. Help! Should I stop my DH's devious plan, or will it work?
Just take the hand crank off to lower the machine into the cabinet. That's what I do. Most of the time I use my 201k as a treadle, when the pseudo-grandkids are sewing the hand crank is on and treadle belt off the hand wheel. I would keep all of the sewing machine heads and swap them out. You can see my 201 in my avatar picture. She's from 1936, was my very first treadle machine.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Nancy, That's what I like about this shop. I re-looked the number of the sphinx and I was looking at the wrong set of numbers. Re-looked and then counted out the digits and you are right. About so many machines we will refinish the cabinets and clean and oil the machines for resale. DH just built a big shop to work in. We do have way too many. I think I could sew on a different machine every day for a month and still have a few left. Our 2 GD have claimed a machine each. Our GS likes to use a HC so he has his own machine.
Most of the 15 clones we will resell as we have several in different colors but no red (yet). Have a 301 we may sell.
DH is turning a 306 and a FW into a HC.
BTW your Hubby did a beautiful job on the Davis cabinet.
Nice collection of finds! Happy to read that the grandkids are taking an interest in the machines too. I would love to see the photos of the 306 and FW after the HC are attached to them. Enjoy!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:12 PM

Texas Jan
LOL Well, that works! I love the picture.

:lol:
Old 06-14-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by jljack
Nancy, I recently saw the reproduction hand cranks for sale on eBay, but listed as Made in China. I am not inclined to get one of those, but just for information sake, are they any good?
I don't know, as I got my HC from Billy. The thing about the made in China ones is that they have a little kinda wierd decal and say made in China. Someone on here got one, Sharon was it you, and they liked it - I think?

Nancy
I have the Chinese made repro hand crank and I don't really like it, since I have an original Singer hand crank; the differences between the 2 are quite noticeable. The handle on the repro doesn't feel as solid as the original. The grandkids agree with me.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 PM

I am getting my moms Morse 4100 fotomatic in July but she doesn't have the manual. does anyone know where i can get one? Also, does anyone use this machine for the actual quilting of their quilt or is it only good for piecing? I don't know if I can get away with using this or if I should get a Janome 6500....
Old 06-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Anyone in the SF Bay Area looking for a free Singer 15-90- and stool? That Singer 15-90 can be used in treadle, and you don't need to change the wheel to a spoke wheel.

I find this post amusing. Anyhow, it will all be free by end of week.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2439924460.html
Not a very good reason to hurt a sewing machine! When I was a kid if we looked at the machine the wrong way Mom yelled. And heaven help us if we touched the "good" sewing scissors! My son has been known to tell his friends (loudly) not to touch my sewing stuff!
We were threatened with death and destruction if we even thought of touching Mom's machine and any sewing related
items. What is with today's parents??? Why can't they just say NO!!!??? OMG somebody go rescue that machine before she throws it out.(shakes head several times)
:roll: