Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-13-2011, 08:01 AM

Billy, I am glad to see you back, I was beginning to worry about you! Copperheads are awful, I certainly am glad you weren't killed and that you are on the mend.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Billy, I am glad to see you back, I was beginning to worry about you! Copperheads are awful, I certainly am glad you weren't killed and that you are on the mend.
Amen to that!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I can't tell you for sure, but I have had a few machines (mostly Japanese-made) that were dedicated left stitchers. Yours probably is as well.

Originally Posted by Honchey
Attention Sewing Machine Guru's. I picked this Brother sewing machine yesterday for $10. It's a Bradford 1641 model..I went to the Brother site and cannot locate the year it was built. I sews really quiet..has a few cams(pictured . The needle only sews to the far left..When I move the screws for the zig zag it sews the stitch but I can't figure out how to get the neeedle to sew in the center position. Is it only supposed to sew to the left?? Help!
Anyone have info on this machine about the cams..Anything would help
Old 06-13-2011, 08:34 AM

I can't tell you for sure, but I have had a few machines (mostly Japanese-made) that were dedicated left stitchers. Yours probably is as well.

Is it only supposed to sew to the left?? Help!
[/quote]

A machine for "lefties"! So cool to think that someone thought of making a leftie machine..or that it acts like it is a leftie. These machines do have a mind of their own.
Pretty machine! It can't be that much different from those(machine) that were made around the same time. So, if you don't find a manual just look at a manual from another machine that was from this same time period.
Enjoy!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
I've fallen behind on my reading of this thread so I don't know if anyone has shared this yet. I came across a blog about restoring a Singer 201. This person will be stripping the machine down and doing a complete restoration. I thought there may be some people on this board that would be interested in seeing how she is doing it. Here is the link:

http://mysewingmachineaddiction.blogspot.com/

I don't have a 201 to restore but I have a 66 that could use a makeover.
Way cool! So far she has done an excellent job! Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 AM

[quote=cabbagepatchkid]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Launie,
I have no idea when I got that machine. Maybe it followed one of my other machines home! It's missing a few parts and it's really in need of cleaning but I see that it's a good idea to look through what you have to see if you have machines that snuck into the house when you weren't looking.
As I say, the machine finds us! Enjoy your new FIND!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 AM

I'm glad you're OK, Billy. A snakebite? That's terrifying! And sorry that your daughter's house had to come down.

So, I found out that in addition to the 401(?) that this lady is selling, she also has an older Singer and an older White Rotary. They all look very dusty, but the decals appear to be in quite good condition. The cabinet for the 401 seems to be in the roughest shape of all of them. I can't go and get them until the 30th though. I hope I can wait that long and that she doesn't sell them to someone else in the meantime!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-210891.jpe   attachment-210892.jpe   attachment-210893.jpe  
Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 AM

[quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Ok, I see the problem, that little plunger on my spool can is not moving. I will use the screw driver like the book says and re-adjust. Thanks for the pictures Monica, that helps.

If any of you ever get or have a Two Spool, you should make a note of these pages. Those Two Spools are a little different! Very interesting and ingenious that a machine was invented to use a spool of thread, any size 50 spool or smaller, not a special spool that came with the machine! When you think about the fact that all the bobbin driven and shuttle driven type machines have to have a specific bobbin and a specific shuttle or they won't work - and this machine will take any old wooden spool that they had sitting around!

Nancy
Nancy, With my "Cowboy", I had to force that spring pin loose. After so many years of not being used, it was frozen in place. So, I took the flat side of the flat head screw driver to push the pin knob down, took lots of muscle to do so. After it is moving freely, you should be able to get the adjustment made. It may be just a bit difficult to push the pin knob down and get the tip of flat head into that groove to turn the pin the first time.

Looking at those pictures, I realize that the Cowboy could use a better cleaning. I was afraid to mess with that area when I first got him, but now I could tackle that cleaning.

And you are correct in that I would never take these machines apart to use as parts. But I do like having two of each machine!

:lol:
Old 06-13-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by beaniekins
I'm glad you're OK, Billy. A snakebite? That's terrifying! And sorry that your daughter's house had to come down.

So, I found out that in addition to the 401(?) that this lady is selling, she also has an older Singer and an older White Rotary. They all look very dusty, but the decals appear to be in quite good condition. The cabinet for the 401 seems to be in the roughest shape of all of them. I can't go and get them until the 30th though. I hope I can wait that long and that she doesn't sell them to someone else in the meantime!
Beautiful White in gorgeous cabinet! Both machines are very NICE!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by skaduzy
I am getting my Gramma's machine from my cousin as soon as I drive to Connecticut to get it. I really want to try to sew with it and saw a place online to order a manual called Relics.
I have pictures which I will try to send but sure I will be missing some things. I am really excited as I used to sit on her lap as she treadled away on this machine.
This is (in my opinion at least) one of the most beautiful of the treadles. W & W knew how to make a piece of furniture as well as a fine machine. The spindles and inlays on the top make for a beautiful piece.
That is indeed one gorgeous machine!! And the cabinet is wonderful. How great that you have grandma's machine.