Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-11-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
Well I got a 301A NA236668. I have been looking for some time and missed some of them but I landed a 301A black long bed. Bobbin case missing but other than that the case is in good shape and it runs. I will get a bobbin case and get it cleaned up and get some pictures posted. I also got a modern White Model 1777. I need to stop and count the number of machines I have. Vintage machines 2 ea 201-2, 15-91, 99, FW, 301A, 15 clone and a Kenmore godzilla (for $10 it followed me home). I know I am far behind some of you but I just started a few weeks ago of really looking. I do not have any treadles, just no room right now.
Congrats on your fast collection of wonderful vintage machines. If you don't want a treadle there is always room for a hank-crank.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:00 PM

Geeze someone rescue this machine! It is far too nice for a 'parts' machine. Look at those La Vincendora decals!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Nancy
Old 06-11-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
My sister came up to visit a few days. This afternoon, we worked on an old Singer 411 I bought last fall. I had worked on her a little and gave up. The needle was hitting the foot - took off the foot and it hit behind the hole - took off the plate and it was hitting the shuttle. So we thought maybe the needle bar was bent. I have an old Singer 500 that is good only for parts - the parts do interchange. SO we did a needle bar transplant. We took the one off the 500 VERY carefully and then took the needle bar off the 411 - identical! We put the 500's needle bar on the 411. Then we stuck the bent one on the poor old tired 500. (NOTE: We could not see that it was bent until we had it out of the machine.) Then we had to time the machine. I have had to do it on a Consew walking foot every time the thread winds around the shaft so I tackled that with my sister observing every move I made. We did a high five when we got the thread to feed. Then the thread was hanging up on something so we started checking for burrs. We took the bobbin case out (again) and felt around the shuttle and sure enough there was a burr where the needle had been hitting because it was out of sync with the shuttle. Got it polished up and she runs!!! It took us about an hour and a half to get it all done. Imagine the bill from the shop??? We named her Gertrude - Gertie for short - I would ssssssoooooooo love to turn her into a treadle - some of those were made as treadles in Germany - Gertie would need a new balance wheel though. Her previous owner abused her - bent needle bar, broken cabinet where the hinges go, missing spool holders. Poor thing. In spite of all the abuse, Gertie's motor purrs & she makes a great stitch. She came with some parts that are suppose to make a chain stitch. I will have to try that out some time.
I love the name! Glad to read that you two persisted in fixing the problems. It is a nice feeling to be able to repair your own machine. Congrats!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Geeze someone rescue this machine! It is far too nice for a 'parts' machine. Look at those La Vincendora decals!

Nancy
Nancy, stop looking at other machines and go piece a quilt top with your Two Spools. I want to see your first project from her.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by lee231
phyllis nm

Looking at your pics of the bobbin winder, I believe all the parts are there. I think the parts are assembled wrong, the part that pops when the bobbin is full is under where the bobbin is mounted, it needs to be above the bobbin. HTH's

edit, I think the two parts need to be switch around, bobbin wheel (tire) on the bottom screw and shoe on the top screw.
I loosen the bottom screw and swung the “hook” on top of where I think it should be, it is on top of the black part of the Japan part of the wheel. But it will not release, won’t move at all. I can not switch the top and bottom screws, the bottom screw hole has a small hole that the spring fits in. I took the whole thing off, and tried different set ups. The way it is now I will have to leave the top screw loose to engage to the hand wheel to wing the bobbin. Something is still off.

before
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210260[/ATTACH]

after switching to no move placement
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210261[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-210254.jpe   attachment-210255.jpe  
Old 06-12-2011, 01:55 AM

Nancy
Do you think it runs at all? I've never done a restoration! I'm a little afraid to tackle it. Love the decals!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:02 AM

It has 6 days to run and no buy now. I put it on watch.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:25 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Krystyna
Hi, I am now an official member of the vintage sewing machine owner's club! Don't know why, but I am a little terrified of it. Can anyone help ID the exact model for me? Serial number is GO108195. I'd really like to find a manual. And a little hand holding would be good, too! :roll:
Its okay, she won't bite. You have a model 66-1 with Red Eye decals, she's a sister to my machine. Do the feet attach at
the back or on the side?
Yours is older than mine by a few months made in 1910,
my serial number is G5960807.
You could remove the motor and light and make her a treadle again.
Thanks so much. The fellow I bought it from said it was a 1929 model, but 1910 is good too. Just wondering where I can find a manual so I know how to thread it properly, how to wind the bobbin, what type of bobbins it uses, and how to oil it. I want to use it as an electric machine -- already have a treadle which I'm ashamed to say is in my garage! The feet attach on the side.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nanamoms

Nancy
Do you think it runs at all? I've never done a restoration! I'm a little afraid to tackle it. Love the decals!
The ONLY way to learn to do a restoration is to get an old cruddy machine and restore it. The first one I successfully restored was one I rescued from the garbage. I had NOTHING to lose. It took me over a year to get it right. I had oh so much to learn. Now I have this site, service manuals, places to go for parts. On occasion, my wonderful sister comes to visit - she doesn't know any more than I do but she has two hands to help, she reads the manual out loud to me as I go and gives a lot of encouragement. I always save some crazy project for when she is around - makes her feel good and she learns stuff and we have a lot of fun. I have two more really big projects to tackle. I would love to have another person around to help... One project is to combine two junk Elna machines and get one working. One machine is in real nice cosmetic shape - needs a gear under the shuttle. The other Elna has seen better days and someone storing it in a chicken coop or something didn't help it at all. The other project is to change out the stitch selector shaft on a Singer 401 with the Singer 500 donor machine and hope they are the same size.

WARNING: Don't fix a sewing machine around young boys... BTDT 20 years ago. I have an Elna that will never be the same - strictly for parts forever - expensive parts missing. NOTICE: at the top I said the words 'successfully restored' - my beloved Elna was a failure - 20 years ago. So I failed. I tried. I have most of the parts. There is so much info on here - if you try it and get stuck ASK!!!

I found real fine electricians screwdrivers and other thin and narrow screw drivers. I rigged up a screw driver tip and a very small box end wrench to get into the stuff at a tight angle. Big clunky tools don't fit the slots on sewing machine screws. I keep magnets and a muffin tin handy and put things in there in the order they come off. I photo copy the page from the repair manual so I can write and draw on it. When I am done I might make notes on the actual manual in case I do it again in 20 years.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms

Nancy
It is a 128, which is a little 3/4 size machine, from 1927. It is missing the slide plate - those are easy to find and the power cord and foot pedal. I'd give it a motorectomy - get rid of that motor - and put a hand crank on her. She has the spoked hand wheel which is easy to put a hand crank on. The coffin top just needs to be shinned up and she'd be a real knock out machine to own - look at those decals!

Nancy