Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-20-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Tommie, got the 503A home today. It came with all the attachments, manual, plus some other goodies and the original 9 cams. Only thing missing is the piece of cabinet that fills the hole when machine is down in the cabinet. I probably won't put it down anyway. Thanks again for this find. It was clean too. Won't need spa treatment at all just a little dusting off.
Weedwoman, you will love that 503a! I love my Rocketeer 503A - I do most of my decorative stitching with that machine!

Nancy
Old 06-20-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Tommie, got the 503A home today. It came with all the attachments, manual, plus some other goodies and the original 9 cams. Only thing missing is the piece of cabinet that fills the hole when machine is down in the cabinet. I probably won't put it down anyway. Thanks again for this find. It was clean too. Won't need spa treatment at all just a little dusting off.
Weedwoman, you will love that 503a! I love my Rocketeer 503A - I do most of my decorative stitching with that machine!

Nancy
I pretty much love all my machines but if I had to pick one to be my least fav, it would be the 306k. It's a pain to put the bobbin in. You could develop a 19 inch bicep holding the head back. yuk.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ibeesewin
I just now found this neck of the woods. This is awsome since I am in the process of restoring a machine now. YEAH!!!
The machine I am restoring is a Singer 99-13. I don't have photo's of that since my camera bit the dust last week.
I do however have a couple of photo's of a machine I picked up a couple of weeks age at a garage sale for $20.00.
This is a De Luxe classic sewing machine. From what I have read so far about this machine is that it was made in Japan as a knockoff of the singer machine. This machine is in awsome shape. I have been sewing on it since it came in the door. Last week I was lucky enough to find the cabinet at my local Salvation Army store for $25.00. More then I really wanted to spend...but...it is in excellent shape and I am enjoying sewing on the machine so much I wanted to have it set up for easy access. Now I am not having to move machines from one place to another.
I did have to make a few minor adjustments to the cabinet. The machine will not be able to fold down because there doesn't seem to be anyplace for mounting screws on the bottom of the machine. But that is no problem...I enjoy looking at it. I didn't make the machine a permanent fixture to the cabinet so...if I want to make it portable I just pick up the machine and move it back to it's carrying case.
Here are a couple of pics that I have. The close up of the machine is not very clear...I think that is when my camera decided to take the dive.
Lynn
Lynn that is a Singer Model 15 clone made in Japan. Those are great machines! Congratulations on your find and when you get a chance please post the 99-13 too!

Nancy
Old 06-20-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by lee231
My Domestic treadle that came home today.
Lee231, what a beautiful coffin top and look at that fiddlebase machine! Wow, that is a nice piece to add to any household!

Nancy
Old 06-20-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
just picked up a Free #5 in nice treadle cabinet. would that be a verticle feed? out of town and it wont fit in car to come home today so will be couple weeks before i get to play with it. decals r real nice shape and the cabinet needs little work. I AM PUMPED.
No buslady the Free #5 is not a vertical feed. Davis made a Vertical Feed machine, which means the machine has no feed dogs. The foot walks the fabric. I have both machines, a Free #5 and a Davis Vertical Feed. I love them both, but the Davis Vertical Feed is a great machine for attaching bindings - because it does not have feed dogs you don't get any bunching/gathering when attaching the bindings!

Nancy
Old 06-20-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Now that I have the 401G and the 411G both working I do need to see if they will chain stitch. They do have to have special attachments/parts to do it. I do not know if other drop in bobbin Singer's will do that with the attachments.

My 411 also has a little raised piece that I can put around the throat plate in case I want to do free motion with the plate raised. I have not tried that yet. I do not have a foot for free motion yet.

DH and I looked at the machines to see how a treadle would go on it. It should be interesting to see if we can get it to happen. There is not a whole lot of metal under that wheel so be taking much of anything off. What would keep the belt from shifting off? I shot some pictures of the 401A and the 411G so you can see the differences.
Everything looks like it would fit very snug in there, not much room to move around. So, I would think (assume) that if you just feed the treadle belt up and through (follow the path the belt goes), you would be good to go with treadling.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:24 PM

[quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif][quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif][quote=miriam]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

The 401G and the 411G have instructions to do it in that manual and I have seen the chain stitch info on line. I have the parts to do it! I've not tried it yet - I so need my sister here. Look here for a pdf for chain stitching a Singer touch and sew. http://www.tandtrepair.com/600TandSstuff.html
Miriam,

You can keep the Touch and Throw; I dislike those machines.
So, sorry I'm not interested in looking at that manual.

I did look over my singer 328K manual, and I didn't see any instructions for chain stitching. I really don't plan on doing any chain stitching. Not interested. But what I did find, and way cool is the instructions on using the multi-slotted binder! I plan on giving that a test.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Now that I have the 401G and the 411G both working I do need to see if they will chain stitch. They do have to have special attachments/parts to do it. I do not know if other drop in bobbin Singer's will do that with the attachments.

My 411 also has a little raised piece that I can put around the throat plate in case I want to do free motion with the plate raised. I have not tried that yet. I do not have a foot for free motion yet.

DH and I looked at the machines to see how a treadle would go on it. It should be interesting to see if we can get it to happen. There is not a whole lot of metal under that wheel so be taking much of anything off. What would keep the belt from shifting off? I shot some pictures of the 401A and the 411G so you can see the differences.
Everything looks like it would fit very snug in there, not much room to move around. So, I would think (assume) that if you just feed the tread belt up and through (follow the path the belt goes), you would be good to go with treadling.
I am putting together a treadle kit so to say.... The components are, an unused ugly table top the Singer 401G fits into & a treadle base and a belt from a box of ancient parts I bought a while ago... Now does anybody have any tips how to align the belt, the base and the wood top? As far as I know there is no need to drill holes in the wood to get the belt through since it goes through the machine. I have never done anything with a treadle - well, I've used one...
Old 06-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif][quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif]

The 401G and the 411G have instructions to do it in that manual and I have seen the chain stitch info on line. I have the parts to do it! I've not tried it yet - I so need my sister here. Look here for a pdf for chain stitching a Singer touch and sew. http://www.tandtrepair.com/600TandSstuff.html
Miriam,

You can keep the Touch and Throw; I dislike those machines.
So, sorry I'm not interested in looking at that manual.

I did look over my singer 328K manual, and I didn't see any instructions for chain stitching. I really don't plan on doing any chain stitching. Not interested. But what I did find, and way cool is the instructions on using the multi-slotted binder! I plan on giving that a test.
AH it is the info for the chain stitching I would point you to. If you have a drop in bobbin and the accessories it might work? I still have to give it a try. I would call those machines a torch and throw...
Glad you found info on the multi-slotter binder!
Old 06-20-2011, 02:38 PM

Everything looks like it would fit very snug in there, not much room to move around. So, I would think (assume) that if you just feed the tread belt up and through (follow the path the belt goes), you would be good to go with treadling.
I am putting together a treadle kit so to say.... The components are, an unused ugly table top the Singer 401G fits into & a treadle base and a belt from a box of ancient parts I bought a while ago... Now does anybody have any tips how to align the belt, the base and the wood top? As far as I know there is no need to drill holes in the wood to get the belt through since it goes through the machine. I have never done anything with a treadle - well, I've used one...
I would just put the treadle belt through the machine, sit the machine in cabinet, put cabinet on top of treadle, and then play with the position of the treadle belt to the treadle wheel. Move the cabinet top around until you get what looks like a good match. Then sew up the treadle belt with dental floss and attach to treadle, and give it a try. If that works mark where treadle screws need to go in cabinet and then attach cabinet to treadle.