Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

OMG we did it! It isn't done yet but we did it. We got the Singer 401G to treadle!!! The belt goes in front of the part I thought needed to get machined down or swap it out for something else! It works real nice. I bet it would run on electric or the treadle - hard on belts? BUT I'm betting I pull that motor and use something else if I want electric! WOW it is like Christmas! I bet I can keep the light working too. The top doesn't match up perfectly so DH says he needs to notch out some and line it up better. The treadle base could use some clean up. I'm so excited. I have another base and another table top to dig out of the garage... for the other machine. DH says not tonight... I say pics another time... LOL
Old 06-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by miriam
Now that I have the 401G and the 411G both working I do need to see if they will chain stitch. They do have to have special attachments/parts to do it. I do not know if other drop in bobbin Singer's will do that with the attachments.

My 411 also has a little raised piece that I can put around the throat plate in case I want to do free motion with the plate raised. I have not tried that yet. I do not have a foot for free motion yet.

DH and I looked at the machines to see how a treadle would go on it. It should be interesting to see if we can get it to happen. There is not a whole lot of metal under that wheel so be taking much of anything off. What would keep the belt from shifting off? I shot some pictures of the 401A and the 411G so you can see the differences.
Everything looks like it would fit very snug in there, not much room to move around. So, I would think (assume) that if you just feed the treadle belt up and through (follow the path the belt goes), you would be good to go with treadling.
Thank you SO much for your encouragement - I probably would not have tired it if you hadn't encouraged me to just do it. It does work. It needs a bit more adjusting... on a different day. I am very excited.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:08 PM

OMG we did it! It isn't done yet but we did it. We got the Singer 401G to treadle!!! The belt goes in front of the part I thought needed to get machined down or swap it out for something else! It works real nice. I bet it would run on electric or the treadle - hard on belts? BUT I'm betting I pull that motor and use something else if I want electric! WOW it is like Christmas! I bet I can keep the light working too. The top doesn't match up perfectly so DH says he needs to notch out some and line it up better. The treadle base could use some clean up. I'm so excited. I have another base and another table top to dig out of the garage... for the other machine. DH says not tonight... I say pics another time... LOL
Think this is way to cool and it works. When you get the bugs all work out please do a tut on it so we can do it to. Glenn
Old 06-20-2011, 03:10 PM

I was given a touch and sew used in once and gave it to a friend. I don't like them at all. Glenn
Old 06-20-2011, 03:13 PM

You can keep the light working! I use my light, just plug the cord in for the light.

Congrats! It is so cool to make this discovery! :-) Have fun treadling with this machine after you get it all together. I'm so excited for you too!
Old 06-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

I had to use one of those stupid Touch and Sew machines in home ec in high school for a whole semester. Needless to say I found ways to haul the project home and use the FW. I lost so much time filling bobbins and wasting thread.... I vowed right then and there I would NEVER own a new Singer. I'm hooked on the 500s and OLDER. I like my 403a best. The 401g and the 411g are pretty nice in my book. I just have to try out the chain stitch now.

Oh and Glen you so do NOT need a tutorial. All you do is pop the plastic square off the front - remove the hand wheel, thread the belt through and pop the hand wheel back on, put the belt on the treadle and away you go! It does have to be the German 400 series machine though. I'll do pictures when we get everything better fixed.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

You can keep the light working! I use my light, just plug the cord in for the light.

Congrats! It is so cool to make this discovery! :-) Have fun treadling with this machine after you get it all together. I'm so excited for you too!
did you take out the motor?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:28 PM

did you take out the motor?
No I haven't yet. It just sits there looking pretty. :) Too much work for me at this moment in time. This is where it is located, nicely tucked away.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-214583.jpe  
Old 06-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

vintagemotif,
My motor doesn't contact either - I'm going to leave it in for now. Do you ever use it with the electric motor or do you only treadle? What does the front look like?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:57 PM

vintagemotif,
My motor doesn't contact either - I'm going to leave it in for now. Do you ever use it with the electric motor or do you only treadle? What does the front look like?
Miriam,

I only treadle! Although, I recently picked up a FW as the portable to use on piecing projects while visiting the in-laws. (I need to keep busy.) I fell in love with treadling last summer! And all my machines that I use for quilting are in treadles now.
Here is a picture of the front of my Singer 328K that is now in a straight-leg (this picture was taken of machine in classic cabinet).
Attached Thumbnails attachment-214588.jpe