Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATLAS-HAND-C...item3cbe5b1bb7

I'm drooling!!! ...probably a QB member, you think???? Check out seller's other listings!
Drooling is right - just about ruined my keyboard.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:50 PM

I'm drooling!!! ...probably a QB member, you think???? Check out seller's other listings!
Ooohh! Shiny! Now I really am going to get sidetracked from work tonight.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Well done tutorial! Very thorough! You do want to be real careful not to touch the brushes - fingers can mess them up. DH torches them to get the junk off. My sister uses the alcohol instead. I do know that if you don't do one or the other they don't work so hot later on.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Iris came over to day and we had a blast!!! We looked at one from GW, then we put an hand crank on a clone and we cleaned up Iris' FW and her 99 those ladies sparkle. Then my DIL Hannah showed up. I think we got so busy working on a machine for Hannah that we forgot to test drive Iris' Singers. The machine for Hannah is a clone I found on CL - I'm going to make a posting on it as soon as Iris sends pictures - my camera totally died and I am bummed. Anyhow - watch for a tutorial. The clone was totally stuck and we got it turning a bit at a time - then we got the tension sorted out and she sews! Then Iris snuck her machines into the cases and into the car before we got them working. So we messed with the hand crank and a tension on another clone. We still have some fine tuning to do but it did assemble. I might need to quiz Glen some on that tension. It may be I need a couple more parts or what ever.
Miriam, please tell how you got the 15 unstuck. I have one that is not moving at all. DH and I haven't taken a look at it yet (too many projects!), but he wants to work on it soon. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2011, 04:01 PM

Very nice!! Yes, drooling here, too.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Ooohh! Shiny! Now I really am going to get sidetracked from work tonight.
WOW!!! What a collection....I wonder how they got so many German machines? Think they import them?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Miriam, please tell how you got the 15 unstuck. I have one that is not moving at all. DH and I haven't taken a look at it yet (too many projects!), but he wants to work on it soon. Thanks!
I'm waiting for Iris to post pics - her son came for a visit so I suppose she is occupied for a while. We took enough pics to make a good tutorial. I will give you a couple hints. All I did was use up some Triflo oil - I amazed even myself. Usually I use some solvent but since Hannah is pregnant and it was cold out side I just tried oiling. That Triflo really cut the mustard. I always seem to start with the bottom of the machine. First I got a bunch of the dust out. Then I started dropping oil on anything that remotely moved. I got Hannah to drop oil and then I would move the balance wheel back and forth just a little. Then it started to turn just a little. She got a kick out of oiling. We kept oiling and looking for places to oil. Then we pulled apart the bobbin area. Those are so easy to do it isn't funny. We cleaned it up with some chrome cleaner, oiled it up and re-assembled. I made sure Hannah figured out how to do it at home. The machine barely moved even then. So we opened up the nose and dropped oil in there. She still didn't want to move much so we started dropping oil in all the oil ports- it moved but it was dragging but good. Then we oiled inside the hole from the back of the machine - We kept moving the wheel and oiling until all of a sudden she moved like a new machine. Then we put some thread in there and tried it out. I think we had more cleaning and some tension adjusting to do but Hannah left with her new prize - I gave it to her for her birthday/college graduation present. We used chrome cleaner and Barkeeper on the chrome. That Triflo went up a notch or two for me. Iris has a very nice FW. We did the same on that. She cleaned goo off the bottom. I can't remember if we oiled it or not. I think so. I can't remember if we messed with the sewing or not. The out side of her machine was just beautiful. Then I worked on her old knee control 99. It was dusty and dirty so I just cleaned it up. Then I oiled up parts that move I think. Iris got out some oil and shined it up nice. Somewhere she has some pics to show everybody. We messed around for a very short time with a Domestic - that one promises to be a treat one of these days. Then when Hannah left we fooled around with a flood rescue - it still needs tension attention. We hand cranked that thing just for fun. You can really get going on that hand crank.

Oh by the way Sew-classic has some kind of finger guard - I got one since I don't like to get vaccinated - we called that thing the anti-vaccination thing. It is very cool but hard to get the needle to thread. I think I want more than one of those anti-vaccination things though. I do know there are more accidental vaccinations with a hand crank so I thought it was a good idea.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
Here is a picture of the collar of the handwheel on the Singer 12. There is one hole in it and it doesn't appear to be an oil hole. It is as deep as the shaft from the looks of it. If this is what I am supposed to be looking for, then I don't see a peg. I think maybe I will leave the wheel on and try to paint around the wheel. If this isn't what you were referring to, then "I give up", but thanks for trying.

Texas Jan
Jan, you've every right to be confused, my model 12 is different. The hole you have pictured a pin goes completely threw both sides on mine My serial is about 3 mil earlier than yours. I dug out my other machine and it has your set-up, couldn't figure it out. I'm thinking it comes off from inside the machine where the two shafts couple at the gear, but that's just a guess.
Jon
Old 11-18-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Something wrong here. What happened to the cabinets and machines?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/fuo/2708116433.html
I hope the machines found good homes and the cabinets were beyond repair, otherwise, this is a real shame.

Nancy
Old 11-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
I hope the machines found good homes and the cabinets were beyond repair, otherwise, this is a real shame.

Nancy
Yeah, and I could have used a few parts.