Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-27-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
O.K..... I need a moment of silence..... I found a Penguin in the wild today.

I'm very excited over my find!!
Okay, what is a Penguin? Kathie
I posted photos.... google it and #160741 to find out more:>
I googled and got this:

http://singer-featherweight.class221...oot-no-160741/

fingers crossed for you!
I've already received a few e-mails about it. Everyone is asking for a 'reasonable' price etc. LOL. One person even asked if I would sell it to her inexpensively because she does charity work. I DO CHARITY WORK. And no, you don't need a $600 foot to do charity work. <Sigh>
Old 08-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
O.K..... I need a moment of silence..... I found a Penguin in the wild today.

Okay, what is a Penguin? Kathie
I posted photos.... google it and #160741 to find out more:>
I googled and got this:

http://singer-featherweight.class221...oot-no-160741/

fingers crossed for you!
I dug up a white one made something like that - it was in my stash. I can't figure out how to attach it to the machine. I'd be happy to get half that much for it though...
Old 08-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by greenini
O.K..... I need a moment of silence..... I found a Penguin in the wild today. With a box in great condition and original instructions. OMG, OMG, OMG.

I'm pretty sure I'll be listing it on ebay as I need the money and don't ever plan on having a featherweight.

OMG..they go for about $600!!! I found one too: could I ask you to examine the inside and see if you can see where a small(tiny) rubber washer is?? I was showing mine off and when I took it off this washer dropped out and now I'm afraid to use it! When i told dh how much it went for that was his answer :sell it!!

You will made some FW owner VERY happy, these are almost impossible to find.
the one I have is white but shaped the same - how do they attach to the machine? There is just a little nub - no where for the screw to go on - I can see that it goes on the needle screw but where do they go on the foot shank?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by greenini
O.K..... I need a moment of silence..... I found a Penguin in the wild today. With a box in great condition and original instructions. OMG, OMG, OMG.

I'm pretty sure I'll be listing it on ebay as I need the money and don't ever plan on having a featherweight.

OMG..they go for about $600!!! I found one too: could I ask you to examine the inside and see if you can see where a small(tiny) rubber washer is?? I was showing mine off and when I took it off this washer dropped out and now I'm afraid to use it! When i told dh how much it went for that was his answer :sell it!!

You will made some FW owner VERY happy, these are almost impossible to find.
the one I have is white but shaped the same - how do they attach to the machine? There is just a little nub - no where for the screw to go on - I can see that it goes on the needle screw but where do they go on the foot shank?
Post a photo or a part #??
Old 08-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

will do pics later - it's over at my shop and I'm not - I dug into a big box of attachments I bought a couple weeks ago. I'm in hog heaven over there. I will need to get a magnifying glass and figure out what some of the things go to.
I've been looking for instructions on that little walking foot - no luck - I'm wondering if it goes to some other machine.

I worked on a Singer 404 but didn't have any oil over there - that machine is bone dry. Some of what I thought was rust was smoke gunk. I'm needing to get my act together over there I guess. No kerosene either. No broom. What a mess. BUT I have a work bench and shelves! DH believes in me! (either that or he wants it all out of the dining room) LOL
Old 08-27-2011, 09:45 AM

Here's a pic of the 319W and table I bought with the Penguin Foot. I've never done veneer work in refinishing so I'm going to have to research that. It's a cool table. The top pieces are prisine, though it looks like someone played basket ball against the veneer on the bottom and front. I just saw that I didn't show the bottom...the bottom veneer is completely gone:< This machine is in much better, over all condition of the green 319 I have http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-144713-1.htm and the restoration http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-145486-1.htm

So...I'm struggling with do I keep this one that's in better condition(still needs an overall cleaning and oiling to work well) or keep the green one.... Keeping both is kind of silly isn't it?? :>
Attached Thumbnails attachment-247418.jpe   attachment-247419.jpe   attachment-247420.jpe  
Old 08-27-2011, 10:12 AM

[

see a very small washer kind of thing, but it doesn't look rubber to me... It's on the long black screw that goes into the foot bar. Did you need me to take a photo?[/quote]

oh, please, please please, that could easily be where it came from since that screw comes out on mine i think?
Old 08-27-2011, 10:45 AM

O.K. here you go. The screw stays put in the foot with the washer. Is this what you're wondering about?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-247442.jpe   attachment-247443.jpe  
Old 08-27-2011, 11:34 AM

William brought home another machine for me...paid $5 for it at a yard sale....and this one is going to need the full "spa treatment"! It's a White Rotary, in a portable case which is also going to need some work on it. Am at work, so haven't had time to research the serial number on it yet, but am guessing it's a 1940's model. Has a manual in nice shape with it...no attachments tho.

I figure that for $5, who cares if I mess something up? :lol:
Old 08-27-2011, 11:59 AM

Hi, I'm new here since yesterday, reading all I can about vintage singers.

I came across a machine with the number E143658 but can't find any info on model, year etc. Does anyone know what it is? I've looked on the usual sites to date with no luck.

Thanks, and so happy to have found this forum!

Karen