Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-08-2011, 01:55 PM

Incredible machine!!
Originally Posted by ndnchf
My wife works part time at a local Civil War museum. They were thinning out there collection and had this little beauty for sale. It was in such nice condition that I couldn't pass it up.

From some internet research, I believe it is a Nettleton and Raymond chainstitch machine from about 1857-1858. They were made in Brattleboro, Vermont. Its quite portable, only about 10" long.

Its cute as a button though !
Old 09-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Guess what!!! After 4 months of screeching that I wanted the garage cleaned out an organized, this weekend we were able to do it.

I now have mom's Featherweight in the house. All she needs is cleaning and oiling and a replacement bobbin case...but she is all mine and in the house where I can look at her, and polish her and spend some time with her.

WOOOHOOO!

Now...to find a bobbin case!
try Jenny at sew classic for the bobbin case
My mom still has her FW it is one of the badly abused FWs Her's has a limp door (where you lift it to go in the box) and the bobbin winder is missing. I'm thinking there were other things wrong with it. She bought a brand new Singer a couple months ago. Claims she loves it. She doesn't sew though. She is 85 and has some vision problems. Guess which one we daughters will fight over one day.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by MarieM
Question? Are the slide plates that go over the bobbins of the machines made in the 1950 - 1960 difficult to find? I saw 4 machines at a thrift store last week and they were all missing the bobbin cover slide plate. The machines were 2 Singers a Montgomery Ward and a Deluxe.

TIA,
M.
Does the Montgomery Ward Machine look like this one? I don't know the year - there's no date in the book. I ended up with a manual and these parts (I believe they are from the famous machine that went through Miriam's window):
I have that very same machine but no manual, do you want to get rid of it?
Seeing as I don't have the machine, I don't mind parting with it! Send me a pm and I'll get it to you.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

Question? Are the slide plates that go over the bobbins of the machines made in the 1950 - 1960 difficult to find? I saw 4 machines at a thrift store last week and they were all missing the bobbin cover slide plate. The machines were 2 Singers a Montgomery Ward and a Deluxe.

TIA,
M.
Does the Montgomery Ward Machine look like this one? I don't know the year - there's no date in the book. I ended up with a manual and these parts (I believe they are from the famous machine that went through Miriam's window):
Seeing as I don't have the machine, I don't mind parting with it! Send me a pm and I'll get it to you.
I sure am glad someone found a home for that stuff!!!!!!!! I think I have the cabinet too. Are you near Indianapolis???
Old 09-08-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by jlhmnj
Simple. Remove motor and light, buy and make belt, cleanup and lube machine and you'd be ready. Will need slide plate if it's missing.
Good Luck
Jon
I wondered if it would be that simple. Thanks
Annie I just did it with a 1909 66-1 that had a modern (1940's I think) motor put on it. We did a motor-ectomy, put it in the treadle base, threaded the belt around the handwheel and she was in business. Took less than 20 minutes!!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
Slide plates for Singers are generally easy depending on model as they are still available. Others you'd have to find parts machines or on ebay. Stitches in Time, Sew-Classic, and Ebay are good sources if local shop doesn't have.
Jon
Plus the Deluxe is probably a Japanese clone of the Singer 15, so anything that fits the 15 will fit the Deluxe. Check pictures on the Vintage Machines Pictures thread for a 15 and see if it looks like yours.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Guess what!!! After 4 months of screeching that I wanted the garage cleaned out an organized, this weekend we were able to do it.

I now have mom's Featherweight in the house. All she needs is cleaning and oiling and a replacement bobbin case...but she is all mine and in the house where I can look at her, and polish her and spend some time with her.

WOOOHOOO!

Now...to find a bobbin case!
About $35 on Aprils 1930s or on eBay. Good luck!!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by miriam

TIA,
M.
I sure am glad someone found a home for that stuff!!!!!!!! I think I have the cabinet too. Are you near Indianapolis???
Nope, SE Kansas
Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 PM

I am sort of looking at a Singer 101-10 portable, 1923. It looks in great condition. Anything special about 101s? I haven't seen them talked about too much here.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
I am sort of looking at a Singer 101-10 portable, 1923. It looks in great condition. Anything special about 101s? I haven't seen them talked about too much here.
I think it weighs 31 lbs but it is made of aluminum. It is old enough to be a good solid machine if it is all there.