Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-11-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose

The machine just arrived. It's a little rust bucket. I will have to decide whether it's worth cleaning or not. The irons do move freely. I don't see a name anywhere and the only number is on the slide plate, so it's probably a part number. It's weird. The machine lifts up from back to front and a wood insert comes, too. Little mystery machine.

I like it--she's got good bones. :) I like the drawer pulls. She'd be a beautiful gem after a some work.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by grayhare
Hi Nancy, Monica, and Janice, This was my first time at TOGA, Wow, all the beautiful machines! Monica, great demo on the sewing machine covers; I will be making a few of them.
Marti, let me stitch on her hand crank machine, and now I want one!! I really like the Jones machines that I have seen.
What do I look for in a machine to convert it to a hand crank, if I can't find one?
It was really nice to meet everyone!

Anamarie, For the Singer machines you need to make sure there is a motor mount. I have one Singer 66-1 that has the mount and another one that doesn't. Here are pictures of the two machines for reference. Sorry the pictures are sideways.

As to others manufacturers, like a Jones, you will have to find a machine with its HC. As to my understanding, it will otherwise be difficult to find a HC for them and expensive.

Marti and Pat have some very interesting machines that they bring to use at the TOGA events.

with motor mount
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254920[/ATTACH]

without
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254921[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-254914.png   attachment-254915.png  
Old 09-11-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
The Necchi cabinet's hinges are 9.5" OC. The Admiral's holes for hinges are also 9.5" OC, but it has no hinges, so they could probably be swapped out if I wanted the Admiral. It is a pretty machine. I don't have to decide as the portable doesn't take up much space. I do have decide about the rusty treadle in the middle of my kitchen.

GrannieAnnie, I just looked again. It does faintly say Ruby, which means it may be a New Home or a National. The cabinet is not like any New Home I've seen.
I guess that makes it a ruby in the rough instead of a diamond. LOL Looks like it will be a pretty toy. Can't wait for the after pics.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bennett
Originally Posted by SusieQuilter
Please help!!!!

I am working on cleaning my Singer 127 and the thumb screw that holds the presserfoot bar in place is frozen solid. Other than WD40 what is the best way to get it off???? Thanks!
Everyone has a little different way, but I've had luck with Liquid Wrench (penetrating oil, not the spray) and a hair dryer. Put on the oil, let it sit, blast it with the hair dryer a bit, see if it comes loose. If not, keep repeating. Sometimes I'll get a toothbrush and try to loosen some of the gunk too. Also, I've found one of those flat rubber jar openers helpful for getting a good grip on things.
I like an eye lash brush... gets in between the gears real nice.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:40 PM

I went over to Cathy Nelson's house today to buy some parts from her. I really like her. She bent over backwards to help me. She said that she will be having a mini Toga this spring. I gave her my e-mail address so she could let me know when. I will let any of you know when if you want to know. Kathie
Old 09-11-2011, 06:45 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions on how to remove that stubborn screw. It's still stuck at the moment but something WILL work I just have to keep at it :)
Old 09-11-2011, 07:08 PM

Billy or anyone who can help me.
I found an antique base to a treadle mach this morning.
I have a featherweight table that I would like to remove the legs from and attach to this treadle base o use for me featherweight .
My table has the FW label on the back
is quite old but there is no opening cutout to drop machine in
I have tried to research this table to see if it has value before I do anything to it. I have not had much luck.
I have never seen one without the opening surface on Ebay ither.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by deplaylady
An eBay listing for those of you who have a shop - or enough Singers to look like a shop! My sewing room has no windows.
http://cgi.ebay.com/130573060582#ht_500wt_953
I am going to watch this one, thanks for the post!!

Billy
Old 09-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusieQuilter
Please help!!!!

I am working on cleaning my Singer 127 and the thumb screw that holds the presserfoot bar in place is frozen solid. Other than WD40 what is the best way to get it off???? Thanks!
Was it cross threaded?
Use a bit of liquid wrench then use a hair dryer for a while. Some times leaving it in the sun will help loosen things stuck down by oil build up. Some oils like WD40 and 3 in 1 oil seem to leave a residue so you'll need to clean it off with some kerosene. Some of the oils, solvents & chemicals will mess up the finish on your machine so be very careful. All that said. I prefer Triflow oil. I got some at a bicycle shop. It doesn't leave a residue. It gets in the tight places. Things run smooth after you use it. Some times you have to find a way to lay a machine so the hole you want oil to go down is horizontal. Some times your penetrating oil needs to soak, heat, turn, apply more, soak, heat, turn for a week before it will unlock. I wonder if it would be possible to fit a tin can or something in there to hold some kerosene for a few days. Be careful with the heat and solvents/oils. My sister is in Arizona. She swears by putting things in the sun.

You want to be careful if you have to use force. Bent shafts are hard to fix. Some times a screw is stuck by rust. If you suspect rust, soak on a bit of rust remover - then turn it if you can. Maybe you can find a small bit of leather or a rubber jar opener to help grip the screw. Some times I just don't have enough strength to get a screw out. DH usually does but I try all that first. If nothing else when he gets around to it and it goes easy he looks like a super hero and that doesn't hurt anything unless he goes at it with too much force.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:29 AM

Little Orphan Annie's patent date was Dec 17, 1895. If that's a serial number on the slide plate, she was made in 1904. I think it must a serial number because it fits New Home's numbering pattern. I think I'm going to go ahead and clean her up because the treadle is so free and smooth, unlike the Leader. I will probably lose the decals she has left by the time she's clean. Does anyone admit to having painted decorations on an antique machine? Is it any worse that painting a FW?

The Ruby is in a wooden cradle that then fits into the cabinet, then there is a metal cover on the bottom of the machine so that has to come off to clean the bottom gears. I also need to take the irons off and take them outside to clean and probably paint. The drawer cases are funny. They aren't attached on the sides, just suspended from the top of the cabinet. The wood is very dry and what finish is left is very rough, but there is only one ruffled spot of veneer. There is a missing panel across the front. I will call the young lady to see if it broke off in her car, otherwise, I'll have to make one. Is it possible the machine had a canvas sling under the machine? I vacuumed off pieces of rotted canvas last night and there are slim wooden pieces that would have held it in place. No, I won't paint the cabinet. Wish me luck.

I talked to my son last night. I do not have a Redeye, but he saw one in a barbeque shop. He said now he knows why I want one. He also said the one on display was very dusty and he really wanted to dust it for them while he waited for his order.