Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-23-2011, 12:03 PM

Re: The case... What about wallpaper? That's basically what's on there now, I think. You could find a snazzy pattern from the same era as the machine and paper the case, then varnish it.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
Miriam, I think I'd strip off the rest of the covering, sand it down, paint it and then either use a pretty decal or decorative painting to decorate it...

Pretty machine!
I wonder what you strip it with. I peeled off the loose stuff. I don't want to ruin what is left... I was thinking about paint then decoupaging some old pattern pieces to the outside. What cleans up the hardware? - it seems to be riveted on. DH will have ideas about how to repair the wood piece. At least she stitches.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:12 PM

Would anyone know where I can go to date a White treadle machine ....... I'm not having any luck. The serial number is 1330531. Thanks in advance
Old 09-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tinabug
I was just given an old portable Singer, it's not in the best of shape but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get it running? It is in black case and appears to have all the parts. I have not had a chance to plug it in and see what might happen. The lady just gave it to me. The serial #G355306 indicates it is a 1914. It has a blue motor on it, I'm assuming that's a later fix to it. What do you think?
Yeah - fix her up! It is addictive though...
Old 09-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Suzi
Would anyone know where I can go to date a White treadle machine ....... I'm not having any luck. The serial number is 1330531. Thanks in advance
no clue. I betcha you will love it though.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by justtrish
Originally Posted by melinda1962
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8627772

Black 301 in a trapezoid cabinet, with lots of attachments. Anyone in the indianapolis area, heads up. Big advantage, since pickup only. Hope this goes to a good home. I would love a black one. Mine is the tan, and I got it before I even knew it was good.

M I R I A M!!!!!!
:mrgreen:
U buy it and I'll ship it to U... U pay postage...
Old 09-23-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tinabug
I was just given an old portable Singer, it's not in the best of shape but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get it running? It is in black case and appears to have all the parts. I have not had a chance to plug it in and see what might happen. The lady just gave it to me. The serial #G355306 indicates it is a 1914. It has a blue motor on it, I'm assuming that's a later fix to it. What do you think?
You are in a group of enablers. Obviously, fix it up, posting before, during and after pics. There are a host of folks here who can help you with any questions you might have. I have little experience with the older 66s but lots of others have a lot of info for you. Inspect the wiring first, before plugging it in. Good luck!!! :) :)
Old 09-23-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I may have found my donor machine for the screws I need. If not, then I found another vintage Singer. DH wouldn't go for the Domestic treadle though - he said I didn't have the room which is totally true. I am okay with abiding by that for right now as I know another vintage will find me.
Update: MY donor machine is also a 201 but needs cleaning badly. Caked on dirt and gunk - my favorite to clean off. It is frozen up. The hand wheel turns but nothing else moves and it may be missing a piece or pieces in the bobbin case although the case itself appears to be there. The poor old gal also has rust on her. After cleaning her up, I will compare both 201s to see whatr the new one is missing besides the bobbin winder tire.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:35 PM

Just found out what I needed to know and thought if there were any White owners here they might want to "age" their older machines also............ the toll-free number is 1-800-446-2333 and the hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Central Standard Time, Monday through Friday. I found that my treadle was manufactured June 7th., 1901 and she's about to be restored. She's a pretty little girl but is in desperate need of a spa treatment - you want to talk about GUNK???
Old 09-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

You know it REALLY doesn't matter what kind of machine you are fixing up. New, old, electric, treadle, hand crank what ever. Check the cords if it has cords. If in doubt don't plug it in. That said... I usually clean off some of the 'patina' so my hands don't get all cruddy while I work. If the motor and wires are ok the next thing I like to do is see if it threads up and makes a stitch. If it does, clean that puppy up and sew something. If it seems to need more TLC I seem to gravitate to the worst problem... Some times it is the bobbin area, some times the tension... Some times the outside just grosses me out so much I do a lot of cleaning first. Sometimes the inside is grosser than the outside. Kerosene should melt down the dried up oils - I don't know about using it on decals. If you want to do an all out dis-assembly, you can go on Billy's tutorial. I tend to use a can with a bit of kerosene and paint the kerosene on the place I want to work on. I paint over and over. I stuff a paper towel in to collect. I try to keep it off me, my stuff and the part of the machine I'm not working on at the moment. I do it outside. If a machine isn't all gunked up - well, cheer! Some times things are a bit rusted. A piece of aluminum foil scrunched up sometimes cleans that up. Sometimes it is so rusted up you wonder if it will ever work. I've seen some pretty good clean ups on this board. I have simply replaced rusted parts for good parts because I have a few parts machines around. Not all machines are going to be in your area of expertise. Now days, if it is a new puzzle I try to find a service manual for what I need to fix, read the instructions a hundred times and dig in. I keep a big old muffin tin handy to put things in - put them in order they came off. Take pictures if your camera does close ups. Call DH to loosen the really tight screws - then shoo him out of there.... Brute strength is NOT always an advantage. Remember, if you can read a pattern you can do this.